• Tagged users None
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Major Brand Pet Foods Recalled Due To Salmonella
May 7, 2012 9:23:00 AM
Bulldog_200x250.jpg
On May 4, 2012, Diamond Pet Foods expanded a pet food recall due to possible salmonella contamination. More than a dozen people in several states may have been infected due to contact with contaminated pet food. Affected foods include specific lots of dry dog and cat food branded as:
Diamond Pet Food
Kirkland Signature (Costco brand)
Natural Balance
Wellness (WelPet LLC)
Canidae
Apex Pet Foods
Solid Gold Health Products For Pets, Inc.

These foods were widely distributed in the U.S. and Canada.

You can check your pet food to see if it has been recalled. Affected bags of food have best-before dates between December 9, 2012, and April 7, 2013. Recalled foods include:

· Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
· Country Value
· Diamond
· Diamond Naturals
· Premium Edge
· Professional
· 4Health
· Taste of the Wild
· Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Lamb
· Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken
· Kirkland Signature Super Premium Mature Dog Chicken
· Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Dog Formulated with Chicken & Vegetables
· Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Cat Chicken & Rice Formula
· Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Cat Formula
· Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Formula for Dogs
· Wellness Complete Health® Super5Mix® Large Breed Puppy
· Canidae Dog, All Life Stages
· Canidae Dog, Chicken Meal & Rice
· Canidae Dog, Lamb Meal & Rice
· Canidae Dog, Platinum
· Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison Dog
· Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog
· Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Bison Dog
· Natural Balance Vegetarian Dog
· Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog Large Breed Bites
· Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog Small Breed Bites
· WolfCub Large Breed Puppy Food
· Solid Gold WolfKing Large Breed Adult Dog
Salmonella is a bacterial infection that can affect both animals and humans. Symptoms may include decreased appetite, diarrhea, fever, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Pets and people who carry the disease can infect others, so if you or your pet are experiencing symptoms and you have purchased and used the affected dog food, take all due precaution and see a doctor and/or veterinarian. You can prevent spread of the disease by washing your hands thoroughly and following physician instructions.

If you have purchased one of the recalled pet foods, you should immediately stop feeding it to your animals, and contact the place you purchased the pet food from - refunds may be available. For complete information, visit the Diamond Pet Foods recall page, the Costco pet product recall pages, the Natural Balance recall page, the Wellness recall page, the Canidae recall page, the Solid Gold Health Products for Pets, Inc. recall page, or the FDA's recall page, which has information on multiple brands in the Animal Health section. The CDC also has information on documented salmonella contamination.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Thanks for the heads up. Luckily I don't feed my hounds any of those brands.

outwest

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
If you want the best food for you dog make it yourself. We use grass fed raw beef mixed with Sojos dog food mix, they are online, The extra cost pays for itself...

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I'm not doubting you, but I'm not clear what you mean by the extra cost paying for itself? My dogs are both very healthy using store bought food.

BTW, how is your knee doing?

outwest

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
Man thank you for posting this. I would be bummed if i lost a cat to this.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm not doubting you, but I'm not clear what you mean by the extra cost paying for itself? My dogs are both very healthy using store bought food.

BTW, how is your knee doing?

outwest

Longer life, our last Shorthair lived to be 17 years old. Store bought is highly prossesed, preserved, lots of by products. Same with us humans you are what you eat. We dont vaccinate or use any heart worm meds like vets recommend. We had to nuter our dogs and the vet said they were the most healthy dogs shes ever seen. IMO prevention costs just a little more than treating after the fact so why treat when you can prevent? The extra cost in most cases seems worth it. Also think like a dog. Most folks probaly feed tjeir dogs dry kibble everyday. Our dogs have never had dog food and eat everything. Celery, apples, banana, zuccini, onions. eggs, raw milk and cheese, a variety is healthy for man and beast.
Too many eggs however and its smelly fart city, I hope its not the wife....She insists its the dogs...

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
The link below is what I feed my dogs. As far as I've been able to find out, it is processed of course, but is very protein/nutrient rich and not corn/soy/wheat. Nutro has also not been a part of either of the recent pet food scares over the past several years. My dogs are both rescues and their eating habits were kind of set when I got them. One of them is quite picky. I also get the same kind of feedback from my vets regarding my pets health. The truth is, a good friend of mine is a vet and he feeds his dogs Science Diet (which you'll agree is crap), and his dogs always live very long lives. His are always rescues as well that come through his clinic.

Ultimately I think there are a lot of similarities between cultivating cannabis and caring for an pet. Just like with cannabis there are a million ways to raise a healthy, happy, pet, none really right or wrong per se, but rather what works best for you and your pet. Like with cannabis, love and attention are probably the most important thing you can give your pet. My plants and animals get loads of both!

outwest

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Nutro does have a very high level of zinc. Just be careful.

I'm with you chickenman. If it's good enough for me then the pouch eats it also. Watermelon is her favorite treat.

420alldaze

420alldaze

hey thanks for the info. lamb and rice for my mountain feist,and whatever else the kidz drop of course.lol 42o

Top Bottom