Major Issue With A Virus Spreading On My Buds

• Thread starter PhantomBud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

PhantomBud

So I’ve had this issue with my plants and it seems to jump around from strain to strain. It mostly only effects the lower buds but sometimes the top buds will be fine but gradually transform into the buds you see in the images. These buds have no Trichome content. It started when I introduced a brand new strain but it never occurred after I had already harvested it. It began showing signs after I shop vac’d the clone room with dirt on the ground. The dust landed on the clones of said strain and while it has been growing in flower it began showing signs of stress and this disease popped up. I trimmed off the disease parts and it improved the plants health. A few weeks later into flower it happened again to the plant and this time it was happening to a few strains that I’ve had around for many many years. I could really use some help on this as nothing I’ve ever read or researched has come up with any suggestions or even look remotely close. This is not a mite issue.

P

PhantomBud

120C9FF0 20DD 490F 86C6 8C6087062225
11C78B3D 9E56 46C4 BD3A 5E7FFE0987BC
E385755D 4F02 4752 86F2 E3794DB7A9AF
7A7405A1 F462 4332 9137 CD264986F5EB
F9890778 F456 4766 A988 31CB46F1EA1E

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

Definitely a mite issue. Sort of joking i haven't looked well enough yet. I mean its likely mites, they're notoriously hard to see and they likely came with that new strain. You need a powerful scope and to check these properly. Those buds are rotten and even if we were to say its something else, rotten buds like that means major problems anyways. You pretty much need to restart even if it isn't mites, which it is.

Last edited:
DGP

DGP

I have seen that upward leaf curl whenever I had thrips which are even harder to see than mites but this sure looks similar to what I have seen from time to time with insect damage. A good USB scope should help you ID the issue if it is bug related. Will be curious to see what it is when you figure it out....always something to learn!

With mites and thrips you typically see them on the bottom of leaves. In my experience you'll see mites in various locations on the bottom of the leaves but thrips tend to focus on the newest growth doing damage before it grows out and quickly moving on to more new growth. So you might look at some damaged leaves and see no bugs not realizing they already moved on.

Dbear180

Dbear180

What's up with all the dirt on your leaves? Just being honest, your plant looks filthy. What's the rest of your space look like? If it's anything like that plant I'm not surprised your having "mystery issues".

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

I have seen that upward leaf curl whenever I had thrips which are even harder to see than mites but this sure looks similar to what I have seen from time to time with insect damage. A good USB scope should help you ID the issue if it is bug related. Will be curious to see what it is when you figure it out....always something to learn!

With mites and thrips you typically see them on the bottom of leaves. In my experience you'll see mites in various locations on the bottom of the leaves but thrips tend to focus on the newest growth doing damage before it grows out and quickly moving on to more new growth. So you might look at some damaged leaves and see no bugs not realizing they already moved on.
are you sure you're talking thrips because you can see thrips easily with the naked eye. Russet mites are still hard to see at 100x. Not even comparable in my years of experience. Don't have too much pest experience, though i have had thrips in other greenhouse projects a lot. Only seen mites in other gardens, but this is pretty standard mite damage and description. Even the story screams mites.

DGP

DGP

are you sure you're talking thrips because you can see thrips easily with the naked eye. Russet mites are still hard to see at 100x. Not even comparable in my years of experience. Don't have too much pest experience, though i have had thrips in other greenhouse projects a lot. Only seen mites in other gardens, but this is pretty standard mite damage and description. Even the story screams mites.
Yeah, the thrips I almost always see in the Winter are very small. Look a little like a microscopic silverfish. I'll see if I can dig up some old scope photos.

Found some old video images and the small thrips I was seeing are probably larvae but after seeing some images of russet mites they may have been those instead of actual thrips.
Larvae on the left, mite on the right and an egg below.....

Last edited:
P

PhantomBud

I would like everyone to focus on the bud damage. Some plants I have buds that are fine on the top then a damaged bud then perfectly fine lower buds. I truly can’t say it any clearer this is NOT mite damage. The vermiculite you see on the clone plants is from the predator mites that I use. I do not have mite issues. Period. I’m not being stubborn, I just have a shit ton of experience with mites. I’m more interested in this disease that is occurring because it is a disease. It has skipped entire rows of plants and hit a singular plant out of the surrounding plants and have effected that one. It has spread across rows. It’s both effected the same strain one time, while leaving it alone another time. I manage thousands of plants on the daily. I posted this to see if you guys have seen anything truly like this before. If not, this will have been a brand new disease that I’ll have to figure out how to mitigate myself and I’d really love the feedback without people jumping on the mite bandwagon.

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

ugh. No they are not. None of the signs are there. Allow me to show you my plants that are effected
I can play devil's advocate, but the answer is the same. Finish whatever you're going to finish because you're going to finish those buds. Then you should just restart everything. Take clones and quarantine them and kill and clean everything else. Plant viruses don't get cured they get killed and cleaned. Personally, i would have already destroyed everything months ago and would just destroy those unfinished also, but that's me. I would do this even if it were a mold or fungus. Professionals don't treat this stuff, they remove it because of health reasons and the market demands it. I don't compromise anything like this with my product, i destroy it.

P

PhantomBud

I can play devil's advocate, but the answer is the same. Finish whatever you're going to finish because you're going to finish those buds. Then you should just restart everything. Take clones and quarantine them and kill and clean everything else. Plant viruses don't get cured they get killed and cleaned. Personally, i would have already destroyed everything months ago and would just destroy those unfinished also, but that's me. I would do this even if it were a mold or fungus. Professionals don't treat this stuff, they remove it because of health reasons and the market demands it. I don't compromise anything like this with my product, i destroy it.
The last two images I posted on the second post is a picture of the clones taken from a plant that didn't have any damage, now they show signs of having that same damage. Nothing else around them have that damage in my clone room. Just that strain. No other strain in there has it. And those cuts were taken from plants without the damage. If I killed everything today while taking clones, I would still have the issue. It is not possible to destroy everything and start over, firstly because it wouldn't matter because secondly, of what I just stated above.

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

The last two images I posted on the second post is a picture of the clones taken from a plant that didn't have any damage, now they show signs of having that same damage. Nothing else around them have that damage in my clone room. Just that strain. No other strain in there has it. And those cuts were taken from plants without the damage. If I killed everything today while taking clones, I would still have the issue. It is not possible to destroy everything and start over, firstly because it wouldn't matter because secondly, of what I just stated above.
Right, if you're going to save the genetics you have to quarantine them and will risk having it again, certainly. But you seem to have your mind made up about everything already. Are you just looking for a pat on the back? You seem to believe you have a strain specific disease. Nobody here will pat that on the back because its ridiculous, and because the answer is still the same: destroy everything possibly contaminated and bleach everything. Regardless, this is my last post because youre really just looking for someone to agree with you, and i don't. This is why professionals share genetics and keep an offsite garden of clones. I keep multiple all over.

P

PhantomBud

Right, if you're going to save the genetics you have to quarantine them and will risk having it again, certainly. But you seem to have your mind made up about everything already. Are you just looking for a pat on the back? You seem to believe you have a strain specific disease. Nobody here will pat that on the back because its ridiculous, and because the answer is still the same: destroy everything possibly contaminated and bleach everything. Regardless, this is my last post because youre really just looking for someone to agree with you, and i don't. This is why professionals share genetics and keep an offsite garden of clones. I keep multiple all over.
I created this post to see if anyone has seen this disease before. I call it a disease because it spreads to random strains. The pics I've posted are from 5 separate strains and it has effected more than 10 over a 3-4 month period. My colas are fine. My mite problem has been null. I'm not looking for suggestions on mites. If this is a true TMV virus I need to know as I have workers that smoke. If this is a different virus/disease there are ways of eradicating it. I bought brand new smart pots. I've cloned a new way to prevent taking clones that could be affected. I'm not looking for people to agree with me, I'm looking for people who have experienced this problem before and what they used to get rid of it. So far all I've got are people throwing me stock photos of broad mites, russet mites, and thripes like that wasn't going to be the first thing that I thought of. If nobody here has truly seen this issue before than I would prefer holding off on posting.

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

Those girls are gorgeous though. I'm not trying to just be blunt, there's just no way or reason to figure out what specifically it is to my logic, that's all I'm trying to say. I understand not wanting to lose those plants but i can't help you with anything to do to try to treat it, that's why I'm leaving. Nothing to do with you or even your stance, just that i can't do anything for you.

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

Even though you haven't had a great experience with this and forums, consider posting about whatever ends up happening, in case someone else experiences it. If you were a personal associate id gladly help if i could, hopefully you figure something out, good luck. Also that last photo is fantastic.

420Artie

420Artie

russet mites your fudged. One of the reasons I stoped growing. They come on effected clones and coco growing mediums.

Latest posts

Top Bottom