Make your own Grow Tent Cheap!!

• Thread starter sunsimulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Hey Sun; I found a cheap source of the styrofoam insulation they put on houses (we used to call it celotex or something like that). It has a reflective side and a white side; I think i'm going to install it on the inside of my framework and then wrap the outside with cheaper plastic than the black/white poly. Should help with insulation and CO2 leakage, I'm thinking. Any thoughts? (I can get 4x8 sheets of this stuff for $4 each).
I really like this idea, but I'm curious how you will do the doors? Frame out with hinges? That would be a sick cab! BTW sunsimulator... I really dig your DIY. Very clean work. :cool

G

Gro

quick,clean and smart.this could help techs on a budget step up!
way to go sun!

N

nedmark

this is exactly what I am going to do in my garage after harvest this time around. I have a 3 car oversized garage that i will build in planning on doing 48 plants in the following layout. View attachment flower room layout.bmp I dont know if that worked or not. so I will explain it.48 plants in 10 gallon bags with half ffof/light warrior.flip at 40" put in circles of 6 and hang a 1000 watt hps in the middle of them.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I really like this idea, but I'm curious how you will do the doors? Frame out with hinges? That would be a sick cab! BTW sunsimulator... I really dig your DIY. Very clean work. :cool

I can frame the doors out cheap, and I happen to have several doors from my re-modeling days... It's how I built my other garden, but sadly, that spot contains both grow and veg, without enough electric to run mpb's and verts.

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
I like it. It's light, easy to cut, reflects light, and cleans up easy because there is no sagging panda or mylar. I was going to use wall paper glue and glue the mylar to the walls before I stand them up and nail together. Ended up finding this stuff and went with it instead because it was so cheap and I need all the insulation I can get. I have a door built out of the pink non reflective version and It's working pretty darn good. Ghetto style with Gorilla tape holding it. Long story but I eneded up leaving it to get through the winter.

Is this it.

DSC09997.JPG

SKUNK420

SKUNK420

That a clean set-up Fred. Here's some pics of a tent or should it be called an enclosure I did long long time ago. Specs are 4'Wx8'Lx8'H. grow space was only 4'x6' with 2k of lighting. The a/c takes up the last 2 ft. Got two 2'x4' trays with 28 in ea. for a total pull of just under 3.5 lbs.

materials list:
(12) 2"x2"x96 studs $2.00 ea
(8) corner brackets $2.50 ea
(2) zipper packs 2 zipper per pack $16 ea
100 ft roll panda plastic $80 only used 30ft
screws $5 box
spray adhesive to get a tight fit and seal around the corners $10
total cost roughly $175 w/ 70 ft of plastic to spare

hydro-huts or tents were a pipe-dream when I made this....

Black box
Black box open
Zipper
25 days later
Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Very nice work Skunk420! I'm also diggin' the 2x2 framed tray stands... :cool

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Damn Sun! lol So do you have seperate rooms for veg and flower or are you just vegging for a short time then flowering?

B

broozer

thanks sun, i plan to make a tent out of 2x4s and panda this weekend and will reference your pictures. For your exhaust port are you just cutting holes in the film then taping around the exhaust hoses and fan(the picture cut off at the filter)? how about your intakes - any light blocking? how did you get the film tight? thanks -

M

mets21

nicely done, I built one similar to that last year, wrapping that plastic was the only tricky part...

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
thanks sun, i plan to make a tent out of 2x4s and panda this weekend and will reference your pictures. For your exhaust port are you just cutting holes in the film then taping around the exhaust hoses and fan(the picture cut off at the filter)? how about your intakes - any light blocking? how did you get the film tight? thanks -

Ditto this

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

If you have an 8" duct, cut a {plus sign} + so that both lines are 8".
Push the duct through, and you should have a fairly good seal, but it helps to wrap the corner flaps and adjacent plastic film with tape around the ducting. (duct tape works well; duh, haha!).
Same goes for 6" or 10-12" ducting, even 4". I have more air leaking through my tarp zipper door than I do around all my vent ports. Hope this helps! Peace

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Plastic?

If you have an 8" duct, cut a {plus sign} + so that both lines are 8".
Push the duct through, and you should have a fairly good seal, but it helps to wrap the corner flaps and adjacent plastic film with tape around the ducting. (duct tape works well; duh, haha!).
Same goes for 6" or 10-12" ducting, even 4". I have more air leaking through my tarp zipper door than I do around all my vent ports. Hope this helps! Peace

What's up AF? How's the grape coming? Hey my concern is the visqueen getting wrapped properly so that the ceiling, floor, and walls are sealed properly so that I don't have to do it over. I like the do it right the first time approach. :) Thanks for the info AF! I thought that the plans were going to be put up on here??

M

MASSES 420KING

i just bought a 76x76x76 hydro-tent for $185 shipping and all brand new... sticking two 600 watters in their on a 4x6 drip system ebb and flow baby!

imo your gonna need to more 600 watters for two 6s yoyr dimensions should be 42deep 72-84 long your height on the other hand sounds good and also a drip system ebb and flow or did you mean a drip system that can be converted to ebb and flow

A

anonymous

Very genius mate. I am building a room, thus I have a wood floor constructed but now think a custom grow tent would be more innovative than a new ply-board room.
I am hoping you can help me out, by explaining how to:
a. Secure the panda film down tightly?
b. Secure the room air tight (with the panda film), especially around the floor. I plan on building a door in the frame and making that air tight as well?
c. Also, insulation is on the top of my list, I had the outside room all r-10 insulated. Next i want to insulated the room itself. My initial thoughts are to use 2X4s for the frame, turn then sides to give me 3.5'' of width to install, housing insulation (cheap) + has a 90% reflect rate. I could then run my wiring, and cover with 4mm plastic. The 6mm panda film will be on the outside.
Your incite would be greatly appreciated.

D

dave70

seems very affordable to build

I got some questions for ya

I got a garage that is not insulated and I cant modify at all, so I was thinking using your approach
to build a grow room within this garage is the way to go without doing anything to the existing structure
(besides maybe silicone seal it all before I build
the panda box).

my concerns are heat/humidity issues in summer
we live by a lake. Even right now in winter
I'm concerned a few months of cold out side
meeting warm air (from grow) inside will make walls sweat and I will create high humidity by-product and create early habitat for mold that will eventually become a problem???

winters are hitting low 30's I hear summer
could be up to 110 degress at some points.

any advise ?

wish we could talk some how seems like you might be able to help

[email protected]

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

Have not seen one of these for OH 5 years at less. And it was only for a 1000w Vary nice!

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter

any advise ?

Well there's all kind of solution for that. U can use:
Humidifier/dehumidifiers
AC, that can keep the place warm in winter and cool in summer
Sealed hood for the lights
Good air cerculation with big ass fans

and the list goes on, i have grown in a garage in a high RH area and had no pb with materials as mentioned above.

Top Bottom