making shatter that actually SHATTERS

• Thread starter dirtbag916
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frostynugman

Frostynugman

been playin this 4 a minute so I be ready to teach.
your method is sound and you are right keep your temps under 100. i prefer to watch the last few minute of boil off closely ( hot plate, water vessel, around 95-100f) then transfer and vac at temps between 85-- 95 f . a stainless steal blow chamber will let you get a better pack and better pressure. Coffee filters are shit, sorry, 50 micron stainless screen are the way to go. LOW TEMPS == SHATTER.

other methods involve tens of thousands of dollars in equipment and still rely on a basic premise.
cold = shatter as temps rise you get a taffy(100 - 120)
then a thick goo (120-140)
then oil(to f#@kin hot).
add water and you get a crumbly waxy mess that never dries out.
yes winterizing with ever clear will work but is not necessary.

Peace and good luck.
No your just making water molecules latch on to the essential oils and creating a Flux in temp to purge which is effective but does not get nearly any butane out of there. If you did the flare test on that stuff it would shine dude. That unpurged stuff is horrible for your throat and lungs. @Capulator it doesn't take 1000s in equipment you can go to harbor freight and buy a 3cfm pump. Gauge and tubing and a plexiglass top for a stainless steel pot for under 250. Do it your game will step up and concetrate will fly off the shelf. Not to mention I bet the shatter from your nuggets are outrageous. I literally blow and scrape then purge and let it sit. Just spend the 250 man trust me. Don't get me wrong you can spend 1750 on an ai oven and go baller but this was made in a pot purge at one of my other houses. Works like a charm can only hold about a zip but it's a personal stash. Much love
IMG 0684

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Versace Swiss cheese. 2" diameter 2' long glass tubes. Blast 6 cans through each. Bath. ISO. Vac oven for a while usually 1-3 days depending on pump and amount purging. Tons of info on temp and times on here. The KEY>>> is starting material. Period end of story.this stuff is stable at room temp. Shatters all day

FrosT Trichs

FrosT Trichs

I have heard many different methods of making shatter that is stable at room temperature and shatters without bending, and that it can also just be a strain dependent situation. I will post my current process of making BHO - I am resulting in a slightly under 10% yield, using only trim/sugar leaf and small airy popcorns that were unfit for dispensaries. I am getting great color/clarity/smell - have yet to taste it as I am on a smoking break for another month, but reviews are good. Only problem is I am getting a pull and snap consistency. I am trying to find a reliable method of making shatter that actually will snap and SHATTER at room temp, like glass.

Currently running broken down trim/popcorn at about 1 can per oz of material, in a glass extraction tube, densely but not packed to the MAX pressure. Then putting into a electric skillet holding hot water (not boiling but steaming/simmering) floating my pyrex for maybe 3 or 4 minutes, until most reaction stops. (I think this might be where I am exposing the wax to too high of temps, going to do another run keeping this heat bath temps at around 100 degrees.) Then scraping and transferring to parchment - inserting into vac chamber and vaccing at -28inhg sometimes it gets all the way to -29.9inhg at ROOM temperature. After wax has muffined and popped as much as it will (usually only about 5 minutes) i then add heat to the extraction chamber keeping the temperature around 100-105 degrees. Sometimes i have caught it getting to about 112 degrees but not for very long, I am refining my method to be able to reliable sustain it at temps 98-105 degrees. It will sit in this vacuumed and heated state for about 24 hours, then releasing vacuum and letting it sit on heat for another 12 to 24 hours.

As I said the result is a very light pretty clear honey/amber colored glassy wax that is pull and snap consistency at room temperature. I am still new to the extracting process although I have done much research and have found varying reports. Any critique/info is greatly appreciated, but please be respectable.

View attachment 415800 View attachment 415801

first picture is just holding it, second one is holding it up to the light, it shattered because it was in the freezer. Thanks again for the input everyone. I strive in making quality healthy medicine

Hey man i read ure article and have a lot of processed material but am having the goo-ie honey type feel and its really thick, not the thin shatter like material i am going for...i have Across international chambers, 4 of them to be exact but i feel like something is being done incorrectly so i am out seeking answers....let me know man

Graywolf

Graywolf

Good fresh material starts out as a carboxylic acid, which is brittle at room temperature.

It can be softened by the presence of residual solvent, high levels of monoterpenes acting as a solvent, and by decarboxylation.

A good -29.5" Hg vacuum purge, below 120F reliably produces an aromatic shatter for us.

266 gram slab 1 1
FrosT Trichs

FrosT Trichs

does t
Good fresh material starts out as a carboxylic acid, which is brittle at room temperature.

It can be softened by the presence of residual solvent, high levels of monoterpenes acting as a solvent, and by decarboxylation.

A good -29.5" Hg vacuum purge, below 120F reliably produces an aromatic shatter for us.

does this answer my question too? sounds legit

Calixylon

Calixylon

Shatter without a vac is hard if not impossible but you can make some nice wax without a vac, just low and slow in the oven, still terpy and flavorful, this was a nug run though

420 lyfePpP

420 lyfePpP

I'm getting stable shatter and found that fresh made it more sappy as did loge heat
Just do personal runs for my own meds. It's working for me and blueberry o.g tastes awesome.

S

semry

if the oil has been heated up to 115f permanent and shortly 135 cause i was impatience, do i then not have the opportunity to get a shatter ?

Graywolf

Graywolf

if the oil has been heated up to 115f permanent and shortly 135 cause i was impatience, do i then not have the opportunity to get a shatter ?
You can heat to 115F for a long time without seriously decarboxylating fresh material, and 135F for shorter while.

Material that is rich in monoterpenes may remain pliable at room temperature, the same as with residual solvent. How aromatic is it?

Heavy plant wax concentration will also soften it. How was it extracted?

S

semry

what does decarboxylation mean ? you take out the carbon from the material so it wont stick ?
it is really heavy in the smell and darkish yellow golden in the color. It has become really stick and when it has been in room temp for a while, i can touch it without anything stick to my finger.

it was extracted with a passive closed loop system and then purged on a heatpad and whipped like crazy to get the bubbles away.
i have now melted 5 grams of high grade wax into it, but it is still not hard enough to snap .:S
what am i doing wrong ?
should i winterize it ?

Graywolf

Graywolf

what does decarboxylation mean ? you take out the carbon from the material so it wont stick ?
it is really heavy in the smell and darkish yellow golden in the color. It has become really stick and when it has been in room temp for a while, i can touch it without anything stick to my finger.

it was extracted with a passive closed loop system and then purged on a heatpad and whipped like crazy to get the bubbles away.
i have now melted 5 grams of high grade wax into it, but it is still not hard enough to snap .:S
what am i doing wrong ?
should i winterize it ?
The cannabinoids are produced in their carboxylic acid forms by the plant, which means the molecule has an extra carbon atom, with two oxygens and a hydrogen atoms attached, called a Carboxyl group (COOH).

Decarboxylation means to remove the COOH carboxyl group, usually using heat, but it occurs naturally as the material dries out and ages.

E

EthGoD

Shatter is carboxylic acid. It starts out that way, and softens through processing.

If the starting material is still young, we reliably get shatter by purging at 115F and -29.5" Hg until the solvent bubbles stop.

I get this same consistency with my qwet wash. I use mostly trim because it's really cheap compared to buying nugs to run.
I use to just double boil in a Pyrex baking dish "thin film".
Not knowing I was doing an "advanced" tek.
I'm naturally a alchemist by family / blood.
This all came very natural to me
I make many different herbal medicines. Cannabis is a very forgive friend to work with.

420 lyfePpP

420 lyfePpP

Yeah I love running my own medsā˜ŗ I'd bump up to 130` . And hot water purge works. Stay safe

207north

What do you do with ptfe paper?can't you freeze it so you can flip it while in the vacuum...you can't use it from start can you blast into the paper or would the stuff get ruined from the liquid...thank you for any advise or answers

Latest posts

Top Bottom