Male Selection

• Thread starter happylittle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
gusthedog

gusthedog

Staying on the subject of this thread, male breeding, I'm looking for a male puppy this time. I'm 43 years old, this will most likely be my last puppy raising for I may not have the energy for another puppy in12+ years.

gusthedog

gusthedog

We were looking at Czechoslovakian shepherd and they are still on the list. I love German shepherds especially the ones with longer hair like a winter coat.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

We were looking at Czechoslovakian shepherd and they are still on the list. I love German shepherds especially the ones with longer hair like a winter coat.
Think of the shedding, tho! Lol

Personally, I would get a mix of some sort. When I was young my family had 2 purebred Rottys and it sucked to see them go thru so much pain later in life. A lot of undesirable traits are recessive by nature (the undesirable dominant traits would make a potential mate very undesirable and/or inhibit reproduction). My parents have a little mut they picked-up during their travels (looks like a miniature German Sephered, just with a curled tail) that has been going strong for 15 years now and not a single problem whatsoever. She can actually eat all kinds of nasty shit that will utterly destroy my dog's stomach.

Last edited:
gusthedog

gusthedog

My wife's dog who passed years ago sounds like your dog. When he would see her get the car keys, he would get his leash and dance around with it. He had to go to school with her and sleep the day awayin the back of the vw camper van. We still find his hair in the camper, everywhere.

happylittle

happylittle

@MushinNoShin heees my German Rottweiler/ St.Bernard
Rhe big one are my favorites also:)
20150430 230517

20150430 230517

happylittle

happylittle

Well im running tests with the pollen from the tall quick/ sativa looking pheno and the short smelly pheno. taking the time is the best way its just hard to do with limited numbers here in michigan. So if i can find any reason to cull a seedling it means i can start another. i probably miss some interesting off the wall flavors, but its gotta be strong to stay.

gusthedog

gusthedog

Well im running tests with the pollen from the tall quick/ sativa looking pheno and the short smelly pheno. taking the time is the best way its just hard to do with limited numbers here in michigan. So if i can find any reason to cull a seedling it means i can start another. i probably miss some interesting off the wall flavors, but its gotta be strong to stay.
I'm gonna be spraying my Killer Queen with GA3 in a few days, if you want some of thebwztra pollen to play with let me know. I will have too much and it will be femm pollen. That could be good or bad for what you might be doing.

gusthedog

gusthedog

I have this theory; we are all growers just killing time inbetween harvests. Both figuratively and literally, lol.
I have so much bud and no way to get rid of it. I end up giving half of it away. Most is top shelf but I don't have cool names to call it other then 3-#15 or 3-#7 and on and on. I am not good at thrusting my ego into a name and to explain the lineage would be blah X blah to the power of 15. I wish people would believe me that it's damn amazing. I guess eventually I'm going to get laboratory tested to do anything at all.

happylittle

happylittle

Naming and write-ups are one of my least favorite things to do. I usually just ask friends to do it for me.
also testing can be very helpful to make sure your improving in the areas youd like with each new generation.

gusthedog

gusthedog

Naming and write-ups are one of my least favorite things to do. I usually just ask friends to do it for me.
also testing can be very helpful to make sure your improving in the areas youd like with each new generation.
It was so much easier 15 years ago. You give someone a sample and if they liked it, they came back and that is how you started relationships. They would tell their friends and after a little bit you could make enough to live off comfortably. I love cannabis but the "lifestyles" have changed and I'm too old to be out doing things that are meant for people in their 20's. It was easier when you were on the hunt to meet new girls and things a like but I'm now married, 43 and dont have the capital to compete. I will always give a lot of it away because its one of the best things you can do for someone sick or terminal and its my way of giving back but I am just making enough to cover my costs not including the time and work that foes into itall. I'm feeling like I'm swimming and about to slip below the water.
Any advice for someone like me? Have any of you dealt with any of these feelings? I'm not depressed, I'm just getting poor. I'm a paraplegic and jobs for me are limited unless I know how to program computers and that's not me. I love growing everything. Got master gardner from U of O.
Help me Dear Abbey, signed 'Lost in Oregon'

gusthedog

gusthedog

I have so much bud and no way to get rid of it. I end up giving half of it away. Most is top shelf but I don't have cool names to call it other then 3-#15 or 3-#7 and on and on. I am not good at thrusting my ego into a name and to explain the lineage would be blah X blah to the power of 15. I wish people would believe me that it's damn amazing. I guess eventually I'm going to get laboratory tested to do anything at all.
Need to start or join a growers co-op or union to give better odds for good growers and breeders who don't make (much) money doing what we love.

happylittle

happylittle

@gusthedog cant believe i missed some of your posts from may. Pm me about the pollen if its still viable which i doubt at this point but there is always the future.
As for the scene in Oregon I am not to familiar with it so I wouldnt be qualified to answer that. Hell im even out of step here with Michigan and im only in mid 30's.
Im taking a short 1 day vacation tomorrow but when i get back Ill post up some of the new males Im selecting thru see what yall think.
Wishing the best to everyone lets keep looking for thoose special breeders.
-J

Krippie94

Krippie94

wow... ok... I'll bite.

1. Intent.
what are you looking for to add to your female? need to tighten nodes? wanna stretch an indica leaning hybrid? looking to quicken up a late bloomer with a quick to flower strain? looking for a specific aroma or flavor? what the hell are you doing?
this is a subjective portion that you must decide... what traits do you want in your intended cross?

2. Traits.
what I look at is:
Resin production... the quickness, the amount and location.
Aroma... many good males have a distinct smell.
Quickness to flower... subjective trait based off my intent.
Internode spacing... subjective based off intent, but generally shorter is better.
Structure... subjective. the plants general structure, is it leaning to sativa or indica?

Resistance to hermaphrodism - see #3
Vigor and fitness - see #3

3. Stress testing.

methods used include:
heat and cold, overwatering, underwatering, rootbinding, rootball pruning, topping or supercropping in flower.

In stress testing you're looking to weed out males that are likely to produce intersex traits or poor vigor... the basic idea is to present the worst possible conditions and look for hairs that pop, how easily, how quickly and how many. Then consider the plants quickness to recover throughout those tests to gauge its general vigor.

A mouse is not an "elephant" solely because it has characteristics that are common to known elephants: a tail, gray skin, larger ears and four legs... there is also an artistic aspect to the science...
It's been a long time brother. But, I'm pretty sure we've had the fortunate opportunity to test a couple yours.
...this guy knows his stuff.
Not sayin goodnight...just sayin.
Much Love

Top Bottom