Male Sour D has female flowers

• Thread starter GP73LPC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GP73LPC

I have for years just killed my males. An occasional collection of pollen and then death.

Needless to say I have never had a male go hermi on me.

What, if anything, might I expect from seeds. More hermis? Males? Females?

Don't think I am gonna grow it out and def not gonna breed with it, just curious...

G

GP73LPC

Actually keep that one. Do some reading on DJ shorts stuff. He talks about the male that goes hermi being a rarity.

Now that you mention, I've read his take on that, just can't recall most of it...

Thanks, need to go find that article again...

way2green

way2green

Most of my hermies just produce hermies. I have occasionally had some of their clones produce mad dank. Still, I font trust them

CardinalPuff

CardinalPuff

From DJ Short:

"A quick word on "backward" hermaphrodites ? declared males that eventually sport female flowers ? as opposed to the usual female-to-male hermaphrodites. These are semi-rare occurrences, usually sterile but sometimes viable, that I have found at times to be valuable in their genetic contributions. Some of the most resinous and desirable males I have encountered exhibited this trait. This trait almost seems to guarantee against unwanted hermaphroditism in subsequent generations as it also increases the female to male ratio in its progeny."

You can read more in Clockworx thread here: https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/the-art-of-selection-by-dj-short.64827/

way2green

way2green

Sweet post. I hardly ever grow males to adulthood but i will remember that info

G

GP73LPC

From DJ Short:

"A quick word on "backward" hermaphrodites ? declared males that eventually sport female flowers ? as opposed to the usual female-to-male hermaphrodites. These are semi-rare occurrences, usually sterile but sometimes viable, that I have found at times to be valuable in their genetic contributions. Some of the most resinous and desirable males I have encountered exhibited this trait. This trait almost seems to guarantee against unwanted hermaphroditism in subsequent generations as it also increases the female to male ratio in its progeny."

You can read more in Clockworx thread here: https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/the-art-of-selection-by-dj-short.64827/

Thanks for the link... Getting ready to read it. Been reading some threads on the subject and talking to a friend about it. Sounds like I need to grow this male out. I took clones early on, so I can collect more pollen later if need be.

G

GP73LPC

After culling two blue moonshine males i had in my male tent last night, I am more than certain the sour d got hit with blue moonshine pollen.

I have clones of the sour d male so I can further isolate one of those for seed production, but...

What will the offspring of a full blown male BM knocking up my sour d shemale?

From what I have read, it sounds like that mix can produce male & female seeds. I also guess it will be a hybrid of the two strains with a more than normal chance of producing males that start producing female flowers on the tops of male flower clusters.

I'm not really sure as I haven't been down this road, but it should be interesting...

zeke

zeke

Staminate plants exhibiting pistils is nothing rare. Unusual with BLD strain cannabis but totally business as usual with NLD strain cannabis from south east Asia. In fact out of six different samples from all over Thailand and Cambodia I found zero male plants that did not exhibit this trait.
As far as the "info" that DJ short puts out there.....where is the data? Exactly.

zeke

zeke

My Thai and Cambodian were all open pollinated. Males were allowed to dump pollen and then revegged. No seeded males were found. This leads me to the conclusion that the pistils observed on the staminate individuals were not viable. Not to say all intersexed males will behave this way, just the few I have personally experienced.

G

GP73LPC

A little update...

My male sour d is a beast and HAS viable pollen. There are 30-40 seeds that I can see on the tops of 5 or 6 branches...

I have also collected over 30 packs of pollen from this stud so I may spread his love...

He's gonna knock up these ladies real soon
AK47
PCK
Bubblegum
Blue Moonshine
Sour D

G

GP73LPC

My shemale has turned out to be quit the stud !!!!

If you look close on top of the closest cola there are at least 10-15 seeds. About 4-5 other colas have seeds also.

Female flowers were limited to those birches only.

I touched one seed pod to feel the firmness and the smell is oustanding !!!!

G

GP73LPC

This plant is a beast !!!!

I plan on taking him Labor Day weekend and collecting those seeds. I really need the space in that tent. Still have 4 blue moonshines and a PCK that need sexing.

Tacoavenger

Tacoavenger

I had a similar situation arise with a purple godbud×purple budda male, I have ten small but perfectly formed seeds from the male and countless seeds from two female madhatters ( a indica pheno and a sativa pheno)it knocked up. I also have some of his pollen in the freezer.

chillywilly

chillywilly

Greetings all,
I've just finished an Hawaiian indica female from selfing male... I've done 4 so far...C99, Hawaiian indica, sweet SK x fuki'n incredible, Leda Uno ( lemongrass Thai)...it seems that the fems are true to the male only as I have found...seeds usually are slight deformed, not as normal seeds...my Hawaiian indica original was all pineapple, yet from the male produced an tropical citrus smell and taste and the grow seemed homogeneous as I had male and female come out and all looked and grew very alike...if breeded, suppose that would stabilize the breed...
I'm growing TGA original Dannyboy and pollinate with Dannyboy ms1(selfing male)...back to the lab...
Peace
cw

Top Bottom