Malted Barley Explained By Clackamas Coot

• Thread starter Organikz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MrGreenGreen

@wesk
Barley contains number 1...amylase. It's in your saliva. It's the first step in digestion. You also have protease, urease, phosphatase, along with chitinase. Phosphorus is useless to a plant until phosphatase is introduced making it into an uptakable form. Roots exude these same enzymes. Hth

wesk

wesk

So the phosphatase, chitinase (and the others) make the P and chitin that's present in the soil (from things like bone meal, guano, and dead bugs?) plant available (magically changing phosphorous into phosphate, which is used in every cell in/on the planet/plant in the ATP cycle…it’s almost like I remember biology…sometimes it takes an inordinate amount of time for things to percolate around in my brain). No idea why the worm pile goes crazy.

It sounds to me as though we're making sure that the plant has "full access" to the sources of nutrient in the soil by adding enzymes that start the process of breaking these nutrient resources (substrates) down into ions or at least into simpler things that bacteria and fungi can work on. Put alternatively, by having a boatload of enzymes in the soil, we're helping to ensure that access to nutrients will not be a limiting factor for our weed plants (all things being equal). And now I get your last point. Roots exude these enzymes (for whatever reason...bait for bacteria?), and in the process of malting, the grain brain gets serious about making roots, so enzyme development goes into overdrive and using malted barley in tea steals these freely available enzymes and puts a goodly portion into the rhizosphere (or the plant surface even), right where it's needed? Yeah, I dreamed that entire last bit up I think...but it could be how it works.

Still no idea why the worm pile goes nuts...I wouldn't think worms would be terribly dependent on the enzymes since they come with guts and mucus...maybe the barley enzymes get leaf mold going faster...food source easier to deal with for the worms so they have more time for sex? Yeah, I don't know about that...but it could be how it works.

This is why I envy soil science students (I was planning to be one, back in the day); he or she could just jot that question down for his or her next class (not about the worms, about the enzymes)...or maybe read Tim Wilson's, Microbe Organics page...or read the "Teaming with..." books (I've read them and think they're great, but I have a ways to go before I actually get it...it's complicated, and I’ve already admitted that I’m slow). cheers

M

MrGreenGreen

So the phosphatase, chitinase (and the others) make the P and chitin that's present in the soil (from things like bone meal, guano, and dead bugs?) plant available (magically changing phosphorous into phosphate, which is used in every cell in/on the planet/plant in the ATP cycle…it’s almost like I remember biology…sometimes it takes an inordinate amount of time for things to percolate around in my brain). No idea why the worm pile goes crazy.

It sounds to me as though we're making sure that the plant has "full access" to the sources of nutrient in the soil by adding enzymes that start the process of breaking these nutrient resources (substrates) down into ions or at least into simpler things that bacteria and fungi can work on. Put alternatively, by having a boatload of enzymes in the soil, we're helping to ensure that access to nutrients will not be a limiting factor for our weed plants (all things being equal). And now I get your last point. Roots exude these enzymes (for whatever reason...bait for bacteria?), and in the process of malting, the grain brain gets serious about making roots, so enzyme development goes into overdrive and using malted barley in tea steals these freely available enzymes and puts a goodly portion into the rhizosphere (or the plant surface even), right where it's needed? Yeah, I dreamed that entire last bit up I think...but it could be how it works.

Still no idea why the worm pile goes nuts...I wouldn't think worms would be terribly dependent on the enzymes since they come with guts and mucus...maybe the barley enzymes get leaf mold going faster...food source easier to deal with for the worms so they have more time for sex? Yeah, I don't know about that...but it could be how it works.

This is why I envy soil science students (I was planning to be one, back in the day); he or she could just jot that question down for his or her next class (not about the worms, about the enzymes)...or maybe read Tim Wilson's, Microbe Organics page...or read the "Teaming with..." books (I've read them and think they're great, but I have a ways to go before I actually get it...it's complicated, and I’ve already admitted that I’m slow). cheers
Yes worms eat bacterial slime. Enzymes increase the conversion of organic matter into compost. Your living soil is based on plant growth regulators present in the soil. Microorganisms feed on them constantly. These PGRs enter your plant also. Introducing MBP accelerates the entire process by also introducing large amounts of these naturally occurring PGRs.

M

MrGreenGreen

Well, I don't know clackamas coot, but I like his name and I like his ideas. Too bad he didn't answer my own general interest question about what process puts enzymes from malted barley into compost teas and how do those enzymes once in the soil improve nutrient uptake or nutrient availability. If I had to guess, I'd say that enzymes doing their thing naturally improves nutrient uptake, and, guessing again, that the enzymes move from a place of high concentration (within the malted barley) to a place of lower concentration (in the tea?)?
Coot doesn't believe in teas...a lot of the conversions and transfer of enzymes and culture blooms and what not would be better to happen in the soil itself. Lots of organic acids are released.

wesk

wesk

Percolating...so anything that encourages the breakdown of organic particles (like our enzymes in malted barley — the -ases) is going to encourage bacterial growth and therefor the slime that they live in and that worms eat. So, more bacteria is more slime, and more slime translates to more worms (yeah, that seems straightforward).

In addition to the enzymes, malted barley also has a bunch of hormones (PGRs) that it was ramping up on during the malting/germination process. These are also made more generally available by the application of malted barley to the soil and consequently speed up the conversion of organic matter and the growth of bacterial populations. More bacteria, more slime, more worms. Got it.

I’ll let Coot debate the value of teas with E. Ingham and/or T. Wilson. And I’m guessing they’ve had that discussion already. Would’ve been nice to have listened in.

Thanks MrGreen!

JMcG

JMcG

3EB11F0C 92E7 4B37 B37F B90658EAC898
He also mentions that almost any malted grain will work, shop price and ask about damaged bags ata discount.
Just applied my first round of MBP to my new planters last night!

Friendlyguy

Friendlyguy

Let me emphasize on what masanobu is trying to say...this defies laws of creation (assimilation of the building blocks of life). It also defies laws of physics even....law of diminishing returns would be a contradiction on Einstein's theory of preservation of matter which states that "matter cannot be created or destroyed".

Think like this there is an opposite to all laws. Complete contradiction if you will...now law of minimum can be fixed by nature by law of compensation...uhhh plants drop biological denitrification inhibitors through exudates....what does that tell you?

Neem, as well as mulch, and legumes act as a denitrification inhibitor.

I got to say this....Einstien is not the genius that everyone thinks he is....he never cam up with a single tbeory on his own. Always needed lots of help from others...17 people or so worked on the theory of relativity...lmfao 17...gtfo....his wife , that he cheated on with his own cousin and had four or so kids with, was smarter than his goofy ass....im starting to see the light here....this stepen hawking character isnt him either....they have used 2 different people for that stephen H character....lol....i seen recent photos from the 80's and 2005....definetly two different guys that look a lot alike. Lol to the sheep that believe in the bs......einstiien had the mad scientist look they needed to put fear into us and get us to back the nuclear program.....lol....wake up!

Just thought id post a rant...thanks!

wesk

wesk

Dude, unless you’re Ulysses or something, pictures of you in the eighties and the full-meal-deal that is you today might look like two different friendly guys too (assuming you were around in both eras...and if you weren’t, then you can be excused for not understanding the changes everyone not a God/Godess goes through over thirty years). :)

wesk

wesk

And I’m pretty sure that the scientific method presupposes that advances in science (or at least new scientific discioveries...maybe not all are “advances”) are not done in a vacuum but build on previous advances/discoveries/ideas. And while I agree with you that neither was a saint (and may have been real dicks), the guy in the wheelchair is my own personal hero (the one with the crazy hair and a pipe was before my time...wonder what he had in his pipe as he contemplated the fact that mass equals energy...most of the time).

Friendlyguy

Friendlyguy

And I’m pretty sure that the scientific method presupposes that advances in science (or at least new scientific discioveries...maybe not all are “advances”) are not done in a vacuum but build on previous advances/discoveries/ideas. And while I agree with you that neither was a saint (and may have been real dicks), the guy in the wheelchair is my own personal hero (the one with the crazy hair and a pipe was before my time...wonder what he had in his pipe as he contemplated the fact that mass equals energy...most of the time).

Lol....pictures from the 80's hes got teeth that are way different...little teeth with fillings....in 2005 i seen a pic his lower teeth are now extend atleast 2x as much out of his mouth...how did he grow long teeth for a guy who is tube fed, has no need for teeth....and if he got false teeth wouldnt they look more appropriate instead of protruding from his mouth...how would his teeth grow?.....it's too funny....not saying i believe 100% it is 2 different people...it just looks funny is all....look for yourself...but, im sure ill be bashed again..

Edit: controversly, my teeth are the same as they were in the 70's...

wesk

wesk

Well, I don't know. Maybe at the end of his life (although in 2005, he had more than a decade left) he was changing into a sabertooth? Now that's a theory! I guess since he's dead and buried it's kinda hard to prove, so I probably have to retract it. Damn; thought I had one for a minute.

wesk

wesk

And my teeth aren't at all the same (proving the old phrase, "long in the tooth," which these days I suppose I am).

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Explained by? Sounds like the guy was growing mids until 2017. How do you kill enzymes? Blind leading the blind. But hey if the end result is weed that resembles weed. .

Man.. Really starting to understand e-growers are very far behind. How do you grow pot and not be familiar with the brew store or yeasts in general.. So much to say but it all comes with demands of "scientific proof". More evidence of how far behind e-growers are, that reality is not proof,that numbers on authority-stamped papers are proof.

The plant is not speaking to you if youre not totally focused on bacteria, enzymes, yeasts, the acids; the realm of sour. You shouldn't grow weed if it's not speaking to you. Your emotions, and the songs you hum, its the bacteria, not fibrous plant , who are receptive of that. This isn't tomatoes, youre steering the spirituality of every smoker.

You shouldn't need to be told why healthier more natural plants are healthier more natural plants. The hydro store didn't invent dank, nature did. Let nature be the pro, stop wasting time trying to understand and just listen.. Happy bacteria happy plant, that simple. They have noses and don't care about much else than rolling around in each others funk. And when I say bacteria i mean fungus too.

Finally seen a product marketed on the bacterial origin of isoprenoids, more specifically of dank aromas: https://www.soilbalancepro.com/terpenes
Good to finally see a soil conditioner differentiate itself from the novelty sugar water +perfume products. These companies have been afraid of honesty, because their income depends on you being ignorant to the outside world. Yes Virginia, the brew store does have barely malt. Or I could sell it to you with a Rasta banana on the label for 50/quart lol. Or just sell you dissolved simple sugars since visual tricks and other illusions seems to cut it these days.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom