Mixing My Own Cal Mag

• Thread starter Zakattack
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zakattack

Zakattack

Hey guys. I've had to go the route of mixing my own cal mag because I don't have the option of purchasing a product like calimagic . I have it(calcium nitrate & magnesium nitrate) in granular form. I am working off a table that instructs me to put 1tsp of calimagic in 1gallonn of water.

How do I go about mixing the cal an mag in water and then adding it to my nutrient mix. I'm using the tri nutrients (micro, gro, bloom)

Thanks

Zakattack

Zakattack

Zakattack

Zakattack

Hey guys. I've had to go the route of mixing my own cal mag because I don't have the option of purchasing a premixed product like calimagic . I have it(calcium nitrate & magnesium nitrate) in granular form. I am working off a table that instructs me to put 1tsp of calimagic into each 1gallonn of water.

How do I go about mixing the cal an mag in water and then adding it to my nutrient mix. I'm using the tri mix nutrients (micro, gro, bloom)

Also my growing medium is made up of 50% coco and 50% perlite.

Thanks

Last edited:
DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Depends on your water, ro or tap, what kind of mg you are using epsom salts/synthetic. Depends on what stage of growth, how much your base nutes raise ec, what media you use, soil/coco, etc etc.
Let us know all the details and we might be able to help, Im just a noob though so take what I say with a dose of epsom so to speak...
And never mix nutes, always start by mixing one nute at a time completly into the water before adding another nute and mixing it.

Mmjcaveman

Mmjcaveman

I would get epsom salts and refer to someone who has experience doing this to add magnesium, as far as the granular form calcium u got me man I use calimagic also but I'm sure there's someone who can help you out here. Right everyone? Tell this guy how to add his calcium

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I would lmgtfy but it kinda seems like a jerk so heres a link instead.
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/nightmares-cal-mag-mix-coco-hydro.63144/
Funny ecards 2

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Hey guys. I've had to go the route of mixing my own cal mag because I don't have the option of purchasing a premixed product like calimagic . I have it(calcium nitrate & magnesium nitrate) in granular form. I am working off a table that instructs me to put 1tsp of calimagic into each 1gallonn of water.

How do I go about mixing the cal an mag in water and then adding it to my nutrient mix. I'm using the tri mix nutrients (micro, gro, bloom)

Also my growing medium is made up of 50% coco and 50% perlite.

Thanks

I decided to make my own Cal/Mag recipe. Most of the Cal/Mag recipes that I see are improper. They use magnesium sulfate, which is ok to use in soil, but is not ok to use in hydro or coco. Magnesium Sulfate and Calcium Nitrate precipitate and do not mix. What you want is Magnesium Nitrate and Calcium Nitrate. I still have bottles of Botanicare Cal/Mag and it's good stuff but this recipe allows you to make 3X the amount for the same price. This recipe is very similar to Botanicare's Cal/Mag.

Nightmare's Cal/Mag mix!

20lbs (Calcium Nitrate)
10lbs (Magnesium Nitrate)

Iron EDTA ebay 4 ounces $8
Magnesium Nitrate 10 pounds $30 (Shipping Included) Makes 2270 Gallons
Calcium Nitrate 20lbs $42 (Shipping included) Makes 2270 Gallons
Total $80 Shipped 2270 gallons!

Add in this order:
2 grams per gallon of Magnesium Nitrate
4 grams per gallon of Calcium Nitrate
0.145 gram per gallon of Iron EDTA

Nightmare's Cal/Mag mix!
Nitrogen 222ppm
Magnesium 50ppm
Calcium 200pmm
Iron EDTA 5ppm

Botanicare Cal/Mag @ 5ml per gallon
Averaged Nitrogen 205ppm
Averaged Magnesium 60ppm
Averaged Calcium 220ppm
Averaged Iron EDTA 4.5ppm

Zakattack

Zakattack

Shot for that bud! Will go will those amounts.. For that 1gallon mix tho. Do u think it's fine if I mix the ca an me straight into my nutrient mix and give it all to my plants at the same time?

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I think youre supposed to mix one nutrient into the water until it is fully dissolved and then do the same with the other to prevent the nutrients from binding to each other and causing lockout, but that may just be with bottled nutes?

Zakattack

Zakattack

Depends on your water, ro or tap, what kind of mg you are using epsom salts/synthetic. Depends on what stage of growth, how much your base nutes raise ec, what media you use, soil/coco, etc etc.
Let us know all the details and we might be able to help, Im just a noob though so take what I say with a dose of epsom so to speak...
And never mix nutes, always start by mixing one nute at a time completly into the water before adding another nute and mixing it.

Thanks for the reply @DrMcSkunkins. I'm using ro water.. Growing in a soiless mix of 50%coco and 50%perlite. The nites I've been using is the tri mix. (micro, gro, bloom)

so far what I've done is buffer up the coco with the calcium nitrate and magnesium nitrate (staying away from mag sulphate due to reading that its bad for coco) both the ca an mg came in synthetic form. So I mixed the ca in at 8kg/1000l (obviously just made 5l of ca enriched water) so did the math with that.
Once the coco was buffered I mixed it in with the coco and transplanted.

Then I've been watering it in 3 day cycles(nutes, water, nothing) in my 1gallon ro water nute mixture I mix in 1/2tps micro, 1/2tsp gro and an 1/8tsp bloom. I mix these 3 into one bottle. (please let me know if this is OK or if I should be making 3separate mixes) I also add in 5g calcium nitrate and 1g magnesium nitrate into this mix and that is what I give my plants on nute day.

I have 2 plants (white widow and Shark shock) the sharks shock is doing amazingly well.. Nice and bushy, big green leaves. The white widow on the other hand is struggling a bit. A few of the lower leaves turned yellow leaving only the canopy looking healthy. But the stems are purple.

I have been keeping the ph at between 5.5 and 6.2 since its in coco. Also the plants are in their 2nd week of veg. Will post pictures shortly.

Any advice you can throw my way will be great. Shot Bro

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I would only be feeding them micro and grow at 5ml per gallon with your calmag in the veg stage, then transition into micro and bloom a week or two after switching to 12/12 and leave out the calmag. They like high nitrogen low phosphorous during veg and the opposite during flower, grow nute is high N, bloom nute is high P, the micro is the base that you will use first every time. Always mix or shake in your micro with the water, then add your second nute to water and mix in.
Sorry I repeat myself, I have brain damage.

Zakattack

Zakattack

Sweet! I'll switch over to your suggested schedule.. Attached is the feeding schedule I was using. Will leave out that bloom in the next feed. With regards to the calmag . Do u see any issues with the way that I'm mixing it straight into my nutrient solution? Thanks @DrMcSkunkins

Screenshot 2016 12 24 21 39 14 214 comgoogleandroidappsdocs
DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Never give your plants straight water when growing in coco and never mix your nutes a week in advance. The only time unfertilized water should be given to a plant in coco is right before you cut it down.
Im not sure about mixing in your calmag as I have only used bottled nutes but I would say mix it in last or just top dress the coco.

Zakattack

Zakattack

Never give your plants straight water when growing in coco and never mix your nutes a week in advance. The only time unfertilized water should be given to a plant in coco is right before you cut it down.
Im not sure about mixing in your calmag as I have only used bottled nutes but I would say mix it in last or just top dress the coco.

What do you mean by not giving them straight water? Only giving them nutes every time they get watered?

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

how close do u have your light to your plants?

and led??

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

with coco there is stuff living in the soil that u have to feed so u don't want to give straight water

u want to do like full doss then 1/4 then full and so on

also never let it dry out fully

Zakattack

Zakattack

with coco there is stuff living in the soil that u have to feed so u don't want to give straight water

u want to do like full doss then 1/4 then full and so on

also never let it dry out fully
Sweet Bro.. Learning every day!

Latest posts

Top Bottom