Molasses + Carbo Load?

• Thread starter BakedasBeans
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ScuzyRoach

ScuzyRoach

sweentners are a huge waste of money .... I have great success using gatorade and it comes in way more flavors . it's cheap as fuck to use ... I add a 32 oz bottle to 50gl ... pimp that shit ... sugars electrolytes ect ect

molasses should only be used late in flower as it fixes nitrogen ..

I dont understand why you say only to use molasses late as it fixes nitrogen. If it is a nitrogen fixator than it helps the plant absorb nitrogen. I agree not to use it durning veg. ,but if it indeed helps fixate nitrogen than it should be a good thing during veg.

I use it during weeks 3/4 of flower at 7.5 ml/gal then bump it up to 15 ml/gal while the buds fatten up. It cost me $10 for 5 gal at the local feed store. Way cheaper than even using Gatorade, which has flavors. Shit why not use Cool Aid?

I am totally against using any flavored sweetener. My friend has tried using every thing on the market and it has changed the original flavor of the strain. He uses the same gen. nutes ect. , only difference is his sweeteners. Nothing tastes like is should. I guess if you have a strain that no one knows about than it would be fine. I personally want my Diesel to taste like D is supposed to, not like some fruity bud. Same w. other strains i've given him. This has happened even w/ GH plain nectar.

If you have a problem of it clumping up than just add it to a pitcher of water and mix it first. I keep mine where it stays warm so it pours and mixes easy.

Week 4
week6_Large_.jpg

Final product
Harvest_009_Large_.jpg

On the point of drinking the additives, why not? They are just sugar water, and yes i've tried them. I've even seen the owner of GH drink his products on the convention floor.

Venom818

Venom818

Thanks for all the responses guys!!! Its much appreciated!

Venom: Have you noticed a change for the better in flavor when you used this method instead of bud candy?

Thanks again everyone!

this is my first time doing this bro ill let you know when the dust settles.But have had nothing but bad experiences when using sweeteners who wants all there bud to taste the same.

Venom818

Venom818

i use it all through flowering and i pour a 32oz bottle into a 50gl . i don't believe you can overdose with gatorade . i have run it way higher with no problems plus if you get thristy you can take a swig .. would you drink sweet or carboload ..........
flavor can be whatever match's the plants natural profile .... GDP gets grape , cali orange get's orange , kush = lemon lime and so on ... there is nearly every flavor you can think of with gatorade ....

been running gatorade for 5-6 years ... indoor and out

nice

obsoul33t

obsoul33t

IBL
I dont understand why you say only to use molasses late as it fixes nitrogen. If it is a nitrogen fixator than it helps the plant absorb nitrogen. I agree not to use it durning veg. ,but if it indeed helps fixate nitrogen than it should be a good thing during veg.

I use it during weeks 3/4 of flower at 7.5 ml/gal then bump it up to 15 ml/gal while the buds fatten up. It cost me $10 for 5 gal at the local feed store. Way cheaper than even using Gatorade, which has flavors. Shit why not use Cool Aid?

I am totally against using any flavored sweetener. My friend has tried using every thing on the market and it has changed the original flavor of the strain. He uses the same gen. nutes ect. , only difference is his sweeteners. Nothing tastes like is should. I guess if you have a strain that no one knows about than it would be fine. I personally want my Diesel to taste like D is supposed to, not like some fruity bud. Same w. other strains i've given him. This has happened even w/ GH plain nectar.

If you have a problem of it clumping up than just add it to a pitcher of water and mix it first. I keep mine where it stays warm so it pours and mixes easy.

Week 4
week6_Large_.jpg

Final product
Harvest_009_Large_.jpg

On the point of drinking the additives, why not? They are just sugar water, and yes i've tried them. I've even seen the owner of GH drink his products on the convention floor.

i agree on letting the flavor come naturally from the plant , as for the molasses fixxing N , it makes the N unavailable to the plant but remains in the medium , cutting most of the N out during flowering is a good idea but not until stretch is nearly complete .. too much N during flower gives the finished product a greener chlorophyll taste

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

Thanks a lot obsouleet!! Makes a lot of sense!

Venom: Thanks man! I look forward to hearing how it works for you!

Thanks again for the help everyone! :passingjoint:

M

Motherhugger

Hey whats up farmers :hi

I am a big advanced nutrients user and up until now I have used AN exclusively. But I have noticed a lot of people complaining that bud candy leaves an undesired taste in their meds (enough people to REALLY convince me). I have never really noticed because I learned to grow using AN products so every plant I have grown has been fed with bud candy. I know bud candy is AN's carbo load and sweet leaf combined. SO what I was thinking of doing is replacing bud candy with carbo load and adding in a molasses to replace the sweet leaf.

Question 1: Do you think this could help with the unwanted flavor of the bud candy?

Question 2: How much molasses per liter (or gallon) would you use in conjunction with the carbo load? I have 2tbsp per gallon is good for molasses but wanted to make sure.

Thanks in advance for the help! :passingjoint:

So, let's get this straight - you're actually thinking about changing up your nutes because other people told you that things taste different?

Let me ask you think - what do YOU think? It seems that Bud Candy has been working for you for a while and you've had a great time with it. I wouldn't change things up in a grow that was working well.

But that's just me.

Question 1 - You can use a little less Bud Candy if you feel the taste isn't for you. And you can flush with something like Final Phase to make sure that you have as clean a taste as possible, I would think. Personally, part of the point of Bud Candy is the taste, so it seems a little silly to try to get rid of all the flavor.

Question 2 - Molasses is tricky, even for experienced growers and a lot more temperamental than stable nutes from Advanced Nutrients. I tried using them once and just had a miserable time figuring things out.

Molasses also creates a taste, so I'm not sure you'd be fixing anything by using that.

Again, my bottom line: if it ain't broke, why fix it? Try using less nutes to see if that helps and then, if not, try flushing more.

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

So, let's get this straight - you're actually thinking about changing up your nutes because other people told you that things taste different?

Let me ask you think - what do YOU think? It seems that Bud Candy has been working for you for a while and you've had a great time with it. I wouldn't change things up in a grow that was working well.

But that's just me.

Question 1 - You can use a little less Bud Candy if you feel the taste isn't for you. And you can flush with something like Final Phase to make sure that you have as clean a taste as possible, I would think. Personally, part of the point of Bud Candy is the taste, so it seems a little silly to try to get rid of all the flavor.

Question 2 - Molasses is tricky, even for experienced growers and a lot more temperamental than stable nutes from Advanced Nutrients. I tried using them once and just had a miserable time figuring things out.

Molasses also creates a taste, so I'm not sure you'd be fixing anything by using that.

Again, my bottom line: if it ain't broke, why fix it? Try using less nutes to see if that helps and then, if not, try flushing more.

Im not thinking of completely changing up my nutes just removing the sweetener. And Im listening to the people that say it changes the flavor because I have never not used bud candy and I have always felt that I was missing something in the flavor of the meds. And seeing everyones issues with the flavor of bud candy I figured id try to cut it out because I have already tried changing up the way I dry/cure and flush with no change in flavor.

Im not worried about messing up my schedule by pulling bud candy because I would be replacing it with carbo load (bud cand is cabo load+sweet leaf) which is another AN product I have used in my veg plants for a while and am very comfortable with. So all I will be losing is the sweetener and unless im misunderstanding something the sweetener doesnt do much for the plant nutritionaly anyway.

I definitely agree with if its not broke dont fix it...but if im not 100% satisfied with the flavor of my meds then somethings broke in my system and I need to fix it.

I flush with phinal phase every grow, even tried doing a 3 week flush with just final phase and water. Still had an unwanted flavor. Which is another reason I came to the bud candy conclusion.

I know that molasses can be tricky but I like a challenge and I want to learn as much as I can about the different things you can use in your line up. Im not changing my line up a lot either, just cutting out the sweetener. I feel that if i just cut down on bud candy I would still get an undesired flavor and also be cheating my plants out of carbohyrates.

Until obsouleets last post about molasses fixing N, I was starting to to think of not even using it at all because I wasnt seeing the nutritional value for using it other than flavor (my point of asking about molasses was to see if the plants bennifit from the sugars).

I thank you for your advice and I mean no disrespect in this response. Just explaining myself. :damnhippie:

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I fed my bennies sugar in the form of mollasis, thats what i use for!
Feed the bennies

I use molasses for that very same reason. 1 tbsp/ 5 gallons, throughout the entire life of my plants. However, kelp can also be used with good results.
Obsoul33t has gotten me thinking, though, and I'm going to research it more. Not the first time I've heard about the Gatorade; maybe need to give that a shot too. Idiocracy was hysterical; reminded me of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...

I have a spaceship. Wanna see it?
Peace

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
molasses doenst take much to "fugure out"

people just tend to use way too much of it, just like bud candy, sweet or any of that other sugar in a bottle for 20 bux stuff

funny how people say if it aint broke dont fix it but then tell you to do 2 things to fix it

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh... motherlode... you are making me think about that poor alligator gar I killed. That was a serious fuck-up and my last biggest lesson on "if it ain't broke".
I use molasses for that very same reason. 1 tbsp/ 5 gallons, throughout the entire life of my plants. However, kelp can also be used with good results.
Obsoul33t has gotten me thinking, though, and I'm going to research it more. Not the first time I've heard about the Gatorade; maybe need to give that a shot too. Idiocracy was hysterical; reminded me of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...

I have a spaceship. Wanna see it?
Peace
Hitchhiker's Guide was pretty God damned funny (and clever), and the reviews I've heard about Idiocracy have been really, really mixed. This piques my curiosity.

I have a couple of Spaceships. The buds she makes look like poodlefur. When her buds are cured she reminds me of tea.

Molasses (or malted barley extract, or panocha/panela, or palm sugar, or date sugar, or...) FOR THE WIN!

Wanna know what the best thing about being able to use something like molasses is for me? ('specially if you're like me and are toking the whole time you're tending)

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

Ask 3 different growers the same question and you will get 5 different answers. I feed molasses at the start of flowering at 1/2 TBL/gallon for week 12 then move to 1 tsp gallon week 4 5 . Depending on the harvest time of the strand, I'll feed 1 tbl up to 3 weeks before harvest then I will feed 1 week of 2tbl/gallon then 2 weeks of plain water before harvest. I don't find that all my buds all smell or taste the same. but I do find that they will start shedding leaves after week 4 so I belive in the nitogen fix. That's just small inner leaves but my tops are beautiful! Good luck to you bro no matter what you use!

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
SM - you have to watch idiocracy - funny as hell and scary at the same time

Brawndo - its what plants crave!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
As funny as Superbad? Now, that was some funny shizzy.

Here, have a spoonful o' molasses to go with that.

K

Kush321

funnier than anything. you will sy to yourself afterward and during. "we are almost there" As for molasses I use it near the end in my soil (my soil has dry bone and blood meal fish emulsion and dolomite lime. always tastes great

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

Haha ya its a funny ass movie. Its one of those you either love it or hate it. Not much inbetween.

"... And there was a time in this country, a long time ago, when reading wasn't just for fags and neither was writing. People wrote books and movies, movies that had stories so you cared whose ass it was and why it was farting, and I believe that time can come again!"

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Heh, a farting joke, why does that kind of base stuff make me crack up? Right up there with that classic line from Harold & Kumar (whatever they did in that one), "You sank my BattleSHIT!"

In return for the recommendation of one movie, so shall I recommend another. A different kind of funny--Harrison Bergeron.

Venom818

Venom818

does the molasses have to be unsulfured i can find the granny one but not unsulfured

can u guys recommend a site where i can get it for cheap i found it for 35 bucks is that a good deal

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
how big of a jar for 35 bux?

I get a 16 oz at my local health food place for like 4 bux

I seem to remember SeaMaiden saying you can get it at a feed supply store as well

Venom818

Venom818

how big of a jar for 35 bux?

I get a 16 oz at my local health food place for like 4 bux

I seem to remember SeaMaiden saying you can get it at a feed supply store as well

I just found a gallon for 22 bucks feed grade it says it good for fertilizers guano teas etc u think i should buy it its unsulfured black starp molasses

I buy it at Mothers market, like 10.00 for a quart. Black Strap or the Organic Brand, Unsulfured. Whole Foods has it to.

i might check out wholefoods

SmokeyPipes

SmokeyPipes

I get my molasses at Henry's Market,Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Molasses, saw last time that my local hydro shop had it on there shelves also,They have been brewing there own tea and selling it!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom