Molasses Vs Botanicare Sweet

• Thread starter Savage Henry
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Hi all, I've been using botanicare sweet (raw) during flowering for about a year now to decent effect. This week, however I ran out and had some blackstrap molasses on the shelf so I substituted with it at the same rate (~4ml/gal). Does anyone know if this enough to see any real effect?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hi all, I've been using botanicare sweet (raw) during flowering for about a year now to decent effect. This week, however I ran out and had some blackstrap molasses on the shelf so I substituted with it at the same rate (~4ml/gal). Does anyone know if this enough to see any real effect?
I've only used sugars meant for human consumption, never Sweet/Raw. For me to be able to have an opinion I'd have to know how much sugar, by percentage if possible, is in the Sweet. Molasses is usually around 52% sugar, give or take (depending on the manufacturer).

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

sweet is magnesium sulfate, there is a little brix in sweet but it's definitely not the same thing as molasses.

The best alternative to sweet (and what I use now instead of sweet) is epsom salts, I'm lazy and buy mine at the pharmacy but you can order it online too, just make sure its food/reagent/USP grade.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That's what it is, MgSO4? Ehrmegerd.

Quagmire

Quagmire

Check out a full on organic substitute for all these called Sucanat.. that most people don't even consider..
Sucanat: is a brand name for a variety of whole cane sugar. Unlike refined and processed white cane sugar and brown cane sugar, but similar to panela and muscovado, sucanat retains its molasses content that would otherwise be removed during the refining process, thus giving it a nice strong flavor naturally..
It is essentially pure dried sugar cane juice. The juice is extracted by mechanical processes, heated, and cooled, forming small brown grainy crystals. The product is sourced in Costa Rica and repackaged in the United States.
So, unlike traditional brown sugar, vitamins, minerals, and molasses are not displaced during the processing of the product.

So consider Sucanat versus Molasses when it comes to another sweetenr..

Sucunat
Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Thanks all. Botanicare used to have sucrose in the sweet and their flush product but some time in the last year I noticed the ingredients changed. I assumed they figured out some sort of chemical reactions with the new formulation for resin formation but the other part of me with trust issues sees "snake oil" in flashing lights.
I used caps tea recipe a couple times during the last run and noticed a significant uptick in resin production so switching the sweet out for a sugar product appears to be the thing to do.
Thanks @Quagmire for the recommendation. What application rate do you use?

M

mrgrowbigbud

Hey i use bolth the molasses works well in soil and coco but find useing bolth products in water seems to work very well and the resin content is fantstic.

jlr42024

jlr42024

grandmasmollases for the win, available at any walmart cheap!
15-90ml into tea dilute tea as necessary
5-15ml per gal reg feedingings as to feed soil microbes unless used at full strength in tea regularly then may become redundant in daily feedings.
Calcium 2%
Magnesium 2%

Last edited:
Quagmire

Quagmire

Use Sucanat at the rate of: 2 Tablespoons per Gallon water.
I settled on sucanat only because
>>>>>>a) it has no additives like sodium.

>>>>>>b) sucanat has molasses in it, it is the raw product without the molasses removed.

>>>>>>c) it is much easier to work with.

If your using black strap molasses be careful and make sure it does NOT have --Sulfur or sulfites-- in the ingredient list and the amount of Sodium..

Sucanat (Soo-ka-nat)

Let's talk about this pure and organic product eh?

In 2008, a friend named "Subcool" of TGA Genetics.. (The Green Avengers), (Sub knows me as Cartman btw) put this together..
Comments: I spent some time compiling information on Sucanat after being bombarded with question about this very pure form of sugar. Sucanat (which is a concatenation of Sugar Cane Natural) is non-refined cane sugar that has not had the molasses removed from it like refined white sugar. It is essentially pure dried sugar cane juice. The juice is extracted by mechanical processes.[1]

Sucanat is generally accepted as a substitute for brown sugar. Unlike regular brown sugar, sucanat is grainy instead of crystalline.

"More importantly, Sucanat supplemented herb has an aroma and flavor all its own. It won't cover up the natural smell of your plants, but it'll add an extra richness and flavor to the strain. Some varieties that I've seen grown with Sucanat take on the flavor so much that they smell like carmel candy when you break up a bud. Joints rolled with Sucanat-grown ganja taste delicious all the way down to last ember burning against your fingertip. Bong hits linger on your tongue for hours, and even a quick hit off a pipe during lunch break becomes a momentary orgasm of sweet, savory goodness as the smoke rolls of your lips."

We all know that white sugar is like the devil. It's got zero nutritional value and rots our teeth. It also makes us feel crappy when we eat it because it makes our blood sugar level spike up and then come crashing down. Imagine what it does to our poor plants.

Have you heard of Sucanat? It stands for Sugar Cane Natural. It's sugar in its most natural form - pure cane juice with only the water removed. This process preserves all the vitamin-filled molasses. It's organically grown with no added preservatives or additives.

Sucanut can be used in place of white sugar or brown sugar when baking, and adds a wonderful flavor due to the molasses. Unlike refined white sugar, Sucanat contains iron, calcium, vitamin A, vitamin B6, potassium and chromium. So you will also be getting nutritional value when you smoke your herb.

Look for Sucanat in the baking aisle at your local health food store. It's a little bit more expensive than refined white sugar, but you're paying for the extra vitamins. Try it next time you bake some cookies or muffins. It can also be used to sweeten sauces and marinades, adds a wonderful flavor to your weed due to the molasses. Unlike refined white sugar, Sucanat contains iron, calcium, vitamin A, vitamin B6, potassium and chromium.adds a wonderful flavor due to the molasses.

use two tbs per gallon, it gives it carbohydrates which the plant has to make to photosynthesize, so it lightens the work load on the plant and all the extra carbs can be used to build bud, and you also get the benefit of the enhanced flavor of the weed.
t doesn't get any better then this..
END OF SUBCOOL's COMMENTS

Citric Acid is needed for your plants to fully benefit from Sucanat and be able to uptake it in the Kreb Cycle.. so do some further research on this before just jumping on board and be sure your getting the most out of Sucanat. And be careful, Citric Acid is a PH down and should be used at the proper ratio.. I believe Black Strap Molasses already contains citric acid and is cheap, probably why most choose it.. but the more one gets into organics the more you realize pure organic is worth doing the research.. I mean, people actually smack their lips after taking a toke off my weed... I used to get this result using Sweet Berry flavor on a Berry flavored weed.. but got tired of having to have the product in Citrus Flavor, Berry Flavor etc etc.. versus one product that does everything.... GOOD LUCK

DrFever

DrFever

why bother the plant makes its own sugars anyways ,, We talking feeding the microbes then i will just feed organic matter or a tea as top dress other then that proper feedings at its stages in growth for best possible outcome ,,

T

tripleb

So the "blueberry"I smoked a few yrs ago was sweetened weed basiclly?

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

So the "blueberry"I smoked a few yrs ago was sweetened weed basiclly?

5 years ago I would have said no. Then I got my MMJ card. Gave a new meaning to mersh weed.

Did it smell like weed that smelled like blueberries? Or like hay that had been bombarded with blueberry products? The flavor is the dead giveaway but I find most smokers only taste burning plant regardless of the bud, and consider the smell to be the flavor when those are two seperate things. Authentic weed flavor sticks around, and can't be beat by much else in the world. You will get cotton mouth from dry hitting a loaded bowl or joint of authentic Blueberry. Pretty sad some professional breeders have to rely on carmel water for that effect.

Sweet is garbage. The mersh grows use it at harvest alot and you can smell the plant esters sure enough, just like in the bottle and taste the potash/magsul, and the bitter rinds/peels/skins/seeds the esters were extracted from. Lol there used to be a strawberry brand of this gimmick shit and it would make your buds smell like styrene (storax, benzoin, fiberglass resin) if you had any bacteria in your soil

Last edited:
Top Bottom