Monsanto buys Foxfarm?

• Thread starter StonerB
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
It still doesn't even come close, even if you triple, quadruple or 100 times what the highest estimates are out there for the entire MJ industry...they say in Cali it may be as high as 2 billion dollars of total marijuana related commercial and private trade, thats reported and estimates that include assumed illegal or unreported activity....most put it around $40-$60 billion for the entire United States. So even if you take the high side its not even in the ballpark

Corn did $77 billion all by itself last year

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

It still doesn't even come close, even if you triple, quadruple or 100 times what the highest estimates are out there for the entire MJ industry...they say in Cali it may be as high as 2 billion dollars of total marijuana related commercial and private trade, thats reported and estimates that include assumed illegal or unreported activity....most put it around $40-$60 billion for the entire United States. So even if you take the high side its not even in the ballpark

I was talking about the actual crop sales, like if you compare $40-$60 billion for MJ to $?? whatever corn is worth in sales, or grapes, or whatever single crop. I was not comparing MJ to the entire AG business and all the equipment sales that come along with it, but just the crop itself.

I don't disagree with you that the AG business is bigger, but I think thats what ttystikk meant about the crops, IMO anyways.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Corn did $77 billion(sales revenue only) and the entire MJ industry(sales, equipment, labor, farms, warehouses, etc..) did at best $60 billion...some say if you throw in Canada we can hit $100 billion in total economic stimulas but thats the high side..

I know what your sayin though, it is a big money industry but its the young buck on the block and still fighting it out to make its bones

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Marijuana Production in the United States (2006)
by Jon Gettman
Comparison with other Cash Crops

At an estimated $35.8 billion marijuana is by far the largest cash crop in the United States when compared to the average production values of other crops from 2003 to 2005. (Production values for other crops were obtained from the Department of Agriculture. [22])
Table 7. Top Cash Crops in the United States (Average Value 2003 – 2005)

Average

Rank
Crop
Production

Value ($1000s)

Marijuana
$35,803,591

Corn
$23,299,601

Soybeans
$17,312,200

Hay
$12,236,638

Vegetables
$11,080,733

Wheat
$7,450,907

Cotton
$5,314,870

Grapes
$2,876,547

Apples
$1,787,532

Rice
$1,706,665

Oranges
$1,583,009

Tobacco
$1,466,633

Sugarbeets
$1,158,078

Sugarcane
$942,176

Sorghum
$840,923

Cottonseed
$821,655

Peanuts
$819,617

Barley
$653,095

Peaches
$474,745

Beans
$467,236

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I don't know where you got $77 billion from on corn, but this is what I found in a simple Google search. I have no idea how accurate it is, but it conflicts with your number on corn.

IMO, $77 billion for corn just in the US seems very high, maybe that was the global sales??

squiggly

squiggly

I don't know where you got $77 billion from on corn, but this is what I found in a simple Google search. I have no idea how accurate it is, but it conflicts with your number on corn.

IMO, $77 billion for corn just in the US seems very high, maybe that was the global sales??

You must not live in the corn belt.

It depends on the particular year, but corn production in the us is worth at least ~$50billion a year on average, and that's before counting subsidies (of which there are quite a few).

It will be hard to find proper numbers because most will talk about domestic use, or use as a food crop (grain). When we are the worlds largest exporter of corn, and a large amount of our corn is grown for silage.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

No I don't live in the corn belt, actually nowhere close to it. I know the US produces around 40-50% of the corn in the world, so that was a bad example for me to use earlier lol.

Anyways, I was wrong about that.

TunaCate

TunaCate

i have searched upside and down on scotts and monsanto's sites. they don't show acquisitions of ff. i am getting obsessed by this...i gotta know. if monsanto said they were after the mj market, and ff is a great support product, then i can see how a rumor would start. just aint seeing the proof that ff is bought. and then... it is so fkking absurd, that i am positive its a rumor.

dirk d

dirk d

I'm seriously considering switching to locally sourced soils. but i do have about 15 bags of FF soils in my garage lol

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

No fucking way does the revenue of Scotts "tower over" the revenue stream of the entire MMJ industry- the realized income through Hydro stores maybe, but MMJ in all its guises is the largest revenue producing, most profitable crop in the country. Corn isn't even close. THAT is why the big boys are here to play... Our 'little' industry will never be the same, God help us- and save us from BT pot!

LMAO you realize the machine that greenhouses use to make plugs costs almost $230,000? that's for one machine, that rolls dirt into a 1 inch plug. And paying a quarter million for that machine is a great investment when you need to make millions of plugs a year for 150 acres of greenhouses that are supplied by a multi-million dollar tissue culture lab. The last MMJ warehouse I saw built out cost about the same amount (240,000), for less than 100 flowering lights. Building a warehouse is considered a big investment in this game - the most badass warehouse I've seen was on the upwards of $900,000 to build out. The most badass greenhouse I've seen was in the billions. It's not about the value of the crop - it's the fact that every floral greenhouse that is shipping nationally grows MILLIONS of plants. And i'm not even going to get into big ag - just the floral industry smacks the MMJ industry around ten times over. Our little industry isn't really considered an industry to big ag, more just like another crop to be incorporated, with a bunch of potheads to push out of the way.

If you love what you do the best thing you can do for your "industry" is to source your fertilizers, media, equipment, etc. from responsible, sustainable, and local sources.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Again, you're conflating size of crop with value. At 2500 a pound and up, it doesn't take a lot of volume for the marijuana industry to make more money. I'm also talking about the whole pot industry, too- not just the legal sliver at the top of the iceberg.

ttystikk

ttystikk

LMAO you realize the machine that greenhouses use to make plugs costs almost $230,000? that's for one machine, that rolls dirt into a 1 inch plug. And paying a quarter million for that machine is a great investment when you need to make millions of plugs a year for 150 acres of greenhouses that are supplied by a multi-million dollar tissue culture lab. The last MMJ warehouse I saw built out cost about the same amount (240,000), for less than 100 flowering lights. Building a warehouse is considered a big investment in this game - the most badass warehouse I've seen was on the upwards of $900,000 to build out. The most badass greenhouse I've seen was in the billions. It's not about the value of the crop - it's the fact that every floral greenhouse that is shipping nationally grows MILLIONS of plants. And i'm not even going to get into big ag - just the floral industry smacks the MMJ industry around ten times over. Our little industry isn't really considered an industry to big ag, more just like another crop to be incorporated, with a bunch of potheads to push out of the way.

If you love what you do the best thing you can do for your "industry" is to source your fertilizers, media, equipment, etc. from responsible, sustainable, and local sources.

And buy from friends in the business, like Capulator's bennies.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

We Solid and ttystikk both make great points, but to me it seems like they are on different subjects of some sort. When we look at the cannabis, its domestic, when you look at the size and money the floral industry spends, not so much only domestic. I'm sure lots of there products get shipped to other countries, but with cannabis its only domestic numbers that are available, because nobody ships 100 lbs. of lemon skunk to Mexico or Canada, they grow there own in other countries.

IDK, I have no idea what I'm talking about LOL

Z

Z-ro

FWIW the freshest bags coming out of the triangle have the label changed, it no longer says 'organic' at the bottom and now says 'smart naturals'. just got a couple pallets of the new bag and they told us monsanto has indeed bought fox farm. probly switch over to roots now.

dirk d

dirk d

I just bought a bunch of bags of FF and didn't notice any change to the wording. Have my hydro shop checking on it for me now. i'll let everyone know what they say. regardless locally sources soils is what i'm switching to.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I'll be heading over to my hydro shop within 1 month, I'll look at the OF bags to see if anything has changed and I'll talk to my boy that owns the place, he's cool and I trust most of what he says.

I'll report back with any findings.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Just popped in to my hydro store to find a sunlight supply rep, I overloaded dude with questions. He guaranteed that Fox Farm DID NOT sell out to Monsanto. He swears that Fox Farms is still owned by the same guy (old hippy) whom supposedly stated that he would never sell out to such a company.

Literally took place 20 mins ago. This is just the word from a rep that has been with Sunlight for 4+ years. Now could he be lying? possibly... but he seemed pretty honest and actually helped me save quite a bit of money on my future purchases.

Now back to farming!
Z

Top Bottom