Mpk Purpling Question

• Thread starter StonedBlue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Coloring won't happen until chlorophyll starts to break down. Usually between weeks 6-8 depending on strain and that's if you're strain has the genetic marker for color. If you're trying to achieve this with colder temps, I would wait till the last 2 weeks and drop my temps to 60.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Check the underside of the leaves , this is where it will show at first.
And just for you're enjoyment a couple of pic.
DSCN0696
DSCN0709

StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
Check the underside of the leaves , this is where it will show at first.
And just for you're enjoyment a couple of pic.
Nice pic. Is that mpk? Looks like it. If so any tips on this strain? Seems like a hungry thing.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Nice pic. Is that mpk? Looks like it. If so any tips on this strain? Seems like a hungry thing.
Sorry not a MPK. Cherry Pie male x Bubba Cheese ( Bubba Kush x Cheese).
I can't say that I've ever had heavy feeders. I run coir DTW and my heaviest feeders get around 550-600ppm max with most of my feeds in the 350-450ppm range.

StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
All four of the mpk have started purpling. Interestingly enough, most of the leaves haven't started yet but most of the flowers have some purple.
This stuff puts out ALOT of oder. My whole house smells like weed. Clothes in a totally different part of the house smell like weed. Ill be glad when I get my new rooms set up.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
To add, not every bean from a purple line will give you purple flowers. It's all how the genetics with the gene for anthocyanin got divvied up. Ask a reputable breeder and they would agree. Not all purple strains always produce purple flowers in each and every bean.

If your beans genetics are locked down, stabilized, homogeneous and are true breeding you can can assist by using a Ph 7.0 water for your final flush and also drop your temps. This may or may not develop purple flowers based on the beginning requirements I laid out.

Why Ph 7 water you ask? Because it has been found that the pigments are controlled by Anthocyanin and it presents purple coloration in a neutral Ph range. Blues and Blueberry strains come out better with higher Ph and Reds and Pinks present better in more acidic Ph ranges. I hope this helps. But in closing even with a stable line you may have variation in the phenotypes and not get any purple at all. Sorry to be the bearer of bad newz.

StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
@jumpincactus - 2 questions. First I dont know if the genetics are locked down, just that all four plants are purpling. I assume that means I can follow advice on using ph7 as above?
Second, ehrn you say final flush, are you referring to the entire 2 week glush period or just the last watering?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
@jumpincactus - 2 questions. First I dont know if the genetics are locked down, just that all four plants are purpling. I assume that means I can follow advice on using ph7 as above?
Second, ehrn you say final flush, are you referring to the entire 2 week glush period or just the last watering?
If they are already showing purple pigments I would recommend you keep your final flush water at the Ph range you have found your plants like. That is if you subscribe to the myth (my opinion) of final flushing. Since they are already showing they have the required Anthocyanin I would not change a thing.

By "final flush" I am referring to the last 7-10 days of plain water flush some growers believe is necessary to improve bud taste and smokability. To my mind quality genetics, proper grow skills and using living organic soil solves this. I dont flush ever, and not one person has ever complained how my buds smell, taste, or burn.

I am not convinced that it is required for organically grown soil. Never could wrap my head around how plain water is going to flush anything out of the plant tissue that has become fixed in the plant tissue itself. But that is another whole debate worthy of a separate thread. Wanna see sparks fly ? Put a a why should you flush post. :)

But that has been beaten like a dead horse round these parts. LOL I hope this answered your question bro.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I run full synthetics in coir and have no need to flush. But then my feeds are around 400 ppm. (0.8 ec) max.
Ahhhhh very nice, I love to see other growers that dont feel they have to cram lots of nutes down our ladies throats. A lot of farmers over fertilize. Props to you on that bro. Yea, like you said, you can get away with no flush with synthetics using those levels of feed. I never could or will understand why we would startve our girls in the last 2 weeks of flower. But what do I know, right? Peace

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Ahhhhh very nice, I love to see other growers that dont feel they have to cram lots of nutes down our ladies throats. A lot of farmers over fertilize. Props to you on that bro. Yea, like you said, you can get away with no flush with synthetics using those levels of feed. I never could or will understand why we would startve our girls in the last 2 weeks of flower. But what do I know, right? Peace
I would like to use less nutes... I'm feeding at 1.8 and in 24 hrs it's dropped to 1.55... my system gets auto topped off with str8 ro.... I wish I could drop it to 1.6 but keep it dead on the money...

gwheels

gwheels

I just had some grandaddy purps today and that is some tasty smoke. I might have to grab a few seeds :). Good luck growing it I hope it tastes as good as what I had today

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

1.8 ec is the max I have ever run and that was with 400 ppm starting water.

Top Bottom