Multiple Problems In Coco (first Time Growing)

• Thread starter voldekush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

voldekush

Long story,the shortest i can make
The plants grow under 12 bridgelux vero 3k that are quite bad positioned but i still get 50k lumens on plants
Soil is canna coco,nothing added,didn't measure the ph of the coco or the runoff ppm
Nutrients are GHE flora series for soft water, i didn't know that until it arrived my tap water is 300ppm and aproximatively 7,2 ph
The plants were germinated at 12-13 june and today they are aproximatively 10-15 cm tall and 20cm tall one that was germinated on 30 may
Since the start i had multiple nitrogen deficiencies,heat burn
The nitrogen deficiences were happening because i was using just micro from the ghe and the heat burn because the room was too hot,sometimes reaching 34 celsius,temperature is now ok ranging from 20 at night to 26-27 celsius daytime,using 16-6 hours the 6 hours being in the daytime for escaping the high temperatures
The watering was at 3 days,i was using wet-dry cicles but i read couple of minutes ago that for coco it's not the best idea
The feeding was too much a lot of the time,without knowing it 2ml gro+2ml micro in 2 liters of water,i think that just now the toxicity appeared
the plants were grown from seed in airpot and one week ago moved in 15 liters fabric pots
In these 2 months i have seen 1 month and half of stunted growth,i'm going ill
These are some photos with the plants just minutes ago
i can't make photos without leds because they are in a dark place
What do you think?

Multiple problems in coco first time growing
Multiple problems in coco first time growing 2
Multiple problems in coco first time growing 3
Multiple problems in coco first time growing 4
Multiple problems in coco first time growing 5
Multiple problems in coco first time growing 6
Multiple problems in coco first time growing 7
Multiple problems in coco first time growing 8
Multiple problems in coco first time growing 9
Multiple problems in coco first time growing 10
Multiple problems in coco first time growing 11
Multiple problems in coco first time growing 12
Multiple problems in coco first time growing 13
Multiple problems in coco first time growing 14
Multiple problems in coco first time growing 15
Multiple problems in coco first time growing 16
Multiple problems in coco first time growing 17
Multiple problems in coco first time growing 18
Multiple problems in coco first time growing 19
Multiple problems in coco first time growing 20
V

voldekush

Forgot to mention,can't edit the post anymore,The plants were topped once and the strain is ak-47

Enforcer

Enforcer

I recommend a TDS meter to measure the strength of your solution in ppm/EC. That is the most reliable way to keep it in check. Measuring milliliters to liters is just educated guessing.

Once you have your solution in range for your plant, water the coco at least daily. Once my plants are out of the seedling stage I bump it up to twice a day. Three times a day in flower.

It looks to me like your plants are hungry. They really need that low ppm/EC daily feeding. I would start around EC 1.0 (500 ppm) daily and adjust accordingly.

Also, how close are your LEDs to the top of the plant? I don’t grow with LEDs but I know most should be at least 18” from the top of the plant. The micro new growth and squat shape leads me to think your light is too close.

V

voldekush

thanks for the quick response mate,i measured once the ppm of my nute solution and it was 1200 ppm if i remember correctly

That means that if i will low nutes feeding them they will get out of stunt growth?
As far as i know i can put the leds as close as the plants don't get the heat from them,right now they are aproximately 20cm away from the tallest plant,the one with the black brownish spots and if i place my hand over the plant i can say there is confort after the rule 'what is too hot for you is for sure too hot for your plant
What do you mean by squat shape?
the plants look almost the same as before putting the leds closer
i thought that 15k lumens wasn't enough,at that time the distance was almost 60cm or 2 feet
the distance made almost no difference,still stunted growth

Enforcer

Enforcer

Ok, I would cut your nutes in half then. That should get you in the ballpark. The brown spots are more than likely pH related. When the coco drys out it will cause the salts to build up in the medium. This will result in EC spikes and pH swing the next time you water. This gets worse every time the coco is allowed to dry out.

The “back of your hand” rule applies for HID lighting. LEDs throw a lot of photons and can cause this reaction in the plant, even without any heat issues. One of the reasons I decided against LEDs for now. They are a little tricky to get right.

What I mean by “squat” is that 20cm is pretty short for a plant that has been vegging for 2 months.

IMO,
Cut nute strength in half
Begin feeding daily until you get runoff
Move your lights to 45cm

Give it a week and check progress.

Enforcer

Enforcer

Oh, but first you should probably flush out the coco real well to get rid of the built up salts.

V

voldekush

Thanks mate, so flush the coco with phed water then water with ph and half nuted water
from flora series what i should use now,by my mind i should use grow and micro
also,i want to make a automatic watering system and the minimum water that i can deliver in 1 minute is 3 liter-1 liter per plant my question is it is too much to handle for them?

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Ok, I would cut your nutes in half then. That should get you in the ballpark. The brown spots are more than likely pH related. When the coco drys out it will cause the salts to build up in the medium. This will result in EC spikes and pH swing the next time you water. This gets worse every time the coco is allowed to dry out.

The “back of your hand” rule applies for HID lighting. LEDs throw a lot of photons and can cause this reaction in the plant, even without any heat issues. One of the reasons I decided against LEDs for now. They are a little tricky to get right.

What I mean by “squat” is that 20cm is pretty short for a plant that has been vegging for 2 months.

IMO,
Cut nute strength in half
Begin feeding daily until you get runoff
Move your lights to 45cm

Give it a week and check progress.
all good info.

Enforcer

Enforcer

Thanks mate, so flush the coco with phed water then water with ph and half nuted water
from flora series what i should use now,by my mind i should use grow and micro
also,i want to make a automatic watering system and the minimum water that i can deliver in 1 minute is 3 liter-1 liter per plant my question is it is too much to handle for them?
Yup, and yes use equal parts micro and grow. When you build your system. Include a ball valve in the feed line. You can use it to restrict the flow so you feed less over that minute.

Madmax

Madmax

Im no help but is it best to have the pot raised a little on a screen enforcer ,so that helps when flushing salt buildup out of the pot?..

Enforcer

Enforcer

Im no help but is it best to have the pot raised a little on a screen enforcer ,so that helps when flushing salt buildup out of the pot?..
Yes. If you can, depending on how big the plant is or if it’s trellised. It won’t do much for the salt buildup, but it will allow the water to flow more freely through the pot. When correcting a salt buildup, you’ll use a lot of water to get the runoff EC down.

Madmax

Madmax

Cheers bro..didnt know you cant get salts out ,hense my question...gee i cant believe all the friggen questions id like to ask lol.i should change my user name to sir askalot.or fucktifiknow hahaha.time to do some studying....i hate homewok

V

voldekush

I raised the pots on some wood pieces then used 20 liters of water(i hope the roots are fine and i didn't damage them) aproximatively phed to 6(i accidentaly pressed on cal and i didn't used the pen anymore) for every pot to be sure that everything is ok then water with aproximative 600-700 ml of nuted water (1 ml micro with 1,5 gro for 10 liter of water) i will see in the morning when i'm going to water again,i hope they will be fine
edit: i have ball valve for every pot,the thing is if i restrict the flow i'm afraid to damage the pump,that is why i said that 1 liter is minimum without any restriction

Last edited:
damien50

damien50

I raised the pots on some wood pieces then used 20 liters of water(i hope the roots are fine and i didn't damage them) aproximatively phed to 6(i accidentaly pressed on cal and i didn't used the pen anymore) for every pot to be sure that everything is ok then water with aproximative 600-700 ml of nuted water (1 ml micro with 1,5 gro for 10 liter of water) i will see in the morning when i'm going to water again,i hope they will be fine
edit: i have ball valve for every pot,the thing is if i restrict the flow i'm afraid to damage the pump,that is why i said that 1 liter is minimum without any restriction

Are you feeding calmag? As others said the coco looks really dry and that leads to salt build up and ph issues. It happened during my current grow when I wasn't getting enough runoff from my drip system. I would try running 1/2 or 1/4 strength feed with a 6.0 ph through the coco with several litters of water to try and get the ph stable. If the ph doesn't get stable nutrient uptake won't be right no matter what strength feed you give. If you find the pots drying too much you could put some clay hydroton pebbles over it to discourage evaporation.

V

voldekush

i'm not feeding calman,the nutrients are for coco and there is saying softwater on the bottle and i think it is reffering specially to calcium also my water has a ppm of 250-300

damien50

damien50

i'm not feeding calman,the nutrients are for coco and there is saying softwater on the bottle and i think it is reffering specially to calcium also my water has a ppm of 250-300

But you don't know if your tap has adequate calmag to begin with unless you've had it tested. Mine is 200 ppm but I still use CaliMagic in coco.

V

voldekush

how i can test it specifically for calcium?what i want to say is that saying softwater on the bottle and the nutes are made for coco they know that the plants need calcium
are u using ghe flora series too?

damien50

damien50

how i can test it specifically for calcium?what i want to say is that saying softwater on the bottle and the nutes are made for coco they know that the plants need calcium
are u using ghe flora series too?

You would have to have a sample sent to a lab.

If you grow in coco you need calmag as a supplement. I started my current grow using head's Lucas formula of 6/9 micro/bloom but switched to the KISS method using General Hydroponics MaxiBloom. I still use CaliMagic in my coco with RapidStart, Floralicious+, and KoolBloom.

I only mention calmag because your stems are weird inn color and you didn't mention calmag.

Enforcer

Enforcer

Cheers bro..didnt know you cant get salts out ,hense my question...gee i cant believe all the friggen questions id like to ask lol.i should change my user name to sir askalot.or fucktifiknow hahaha.time to do some studying....i hate homewok
You will still remove the salt. I just don’t think a raised pot would remove more salt than an unraised pot. The water movement is what is removing the salt buildup. With that being said though, I picked up 6 of these at my local grow store for my fabric pots. They should allow air all around the pot leading to more O2 in the root zone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom