My Cheese Harvest.....was It Too Soon?

• Thread starter 5Chord
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
5Chord

5Chord

I'm a hobby grower since 2013 and have a small perpetual grow in my home. Since starting the hobby, I have harvested dozens of times and try to learn from every one. I strive for quality over quantity but a nice yield is never a bad thing.
20180120 140031

This particular one is on the very small side as it only vegged for 1 month. I had a plant with 2 months of vegging under her belt die right before it was to be put in the flower room. I wasn't sure what to, so in order to continue to harvest every month, I opted to move the next one ahead with only one month of vegging, sacrificing yield.
20180120 152641

One thing that I was always a bit fuzzy on, was the general opinion on when to pull the plant according to the color of the trichromes. I have a small jeweler's loupe that magnifies 20X but have never really witnessed the amber trichromes that everybody was speaking of. It didn't matter the strain or length of flower, indoor or out, so I stopped looking for them and pulled the plants according to the calendar and particular strain traits. Nobody has ever complained, and it is almost always better than what's available locally.
Screenshot 20180120 142333

I'd always been kicking around the idea of a microscope for my phone and/or PC to try and capture the elusive amber trichromes. I found one for about $40 that hooked up to both my phone and laptop, so I Amazoned it. I was amazed at the clarity,and now I was seeing everything 200X !!! Then today when harvesting; I noticed that there were still no amber trichs. None, and there are a few clear ones too. I then surmised that I've probably been harvesting too soon for a long time.

Trichs

This plant has flowered 62 days and looks pretty much like my 4 or 5 other Cheese harvests in the past, except for the size. Judging by the trichs, how much longer do you think it should have flowered? how much would the plant have benefited in yield and quality? I had to turn down the lights on the scope as the trichs reflect like mirrors.

While I appreciate any feedback, I'd like to hear from more experienced growers in regard to advice when harvesting

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Harvested early from what I can see, very clear trichomes. You want about 10-20% Amber heads, and cloudy ass heads. Curled trichomes head as well signifies degradation. That's best time and most bag appeal.

5Chord

5Chord

@MirrorZen Thank you for the info. Do you have or know of some pics on here that show what that looks like? Also can you tell (ballpark) how early it is?

MW7945

MW7945

@MirrorZen Thank you for the info. Do you have or know of some pics on here that show what that looks like? Also can you tell (ballpark) how early it is?

IMO that's 2 weeks early, a lot of clear trichs and your plant is really green. Took them right as they start just sarting to swell up for you :(

DGP

DGP

Those look pretty clear. One thing to consider next time is some cheese and cheese hybrids never get amber trics. My runs of cheese quake for example, never turn amber and so sometimes I wain't way too long. Next time you get close to finishing please post up some photos as I am really curious if your cheese plants ever turn amber.

Best wishes,

D

5Chord

5Chord

Those look pretty clear. One thing to consider next time is some cheese and cheese hybrids never get amber trics. My runs of cheese quake for example, never turn amber and so sometimes I wain't way too long. Next time you get close to finishing please post up some photos as I am really curious if your cheese plants ever turn amber.

Best wishes,

D
Well this one was picked after 62 days. According to Sensi, Cheese flowers in 8-9 weeks so it's right on time. Also, the intake of water slowed almost to a stop so I figured it was done. Thanks for the Cheese info. It makes sense now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom