my first clf grow

• Thread starter bigchips
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bigchips

hi all, i started 3 critical+ auto by dinafem, on the 9th august and here is some pics on day 5 from seed. I'm growing under cfl's for the first time and thought i'd post you guy's this grow. As i say, i'm new to growing, so any info would be great. Thanks in advance, bigchips. P.s. Sorry about the quality of photos, i'm having to use my phone to upload.
Keep lt stinky!!!

Set up 1
Set up 2
Set up 3
Critical 1
Critical
B

bigchips

sorry, i forgot to say. This is a totaly homemade set up. Loads of wood, cardboard and tin foil (aluminium foil). There doing well, so far. Whose to know, i might just have perfect set up for this strain.

I got plenty more to build up the sides, if any one thinks its nessesery. I got good ventolation,humidity and temps, ( the joy's of living in lanzarote). Thanks for looking, bigchips.

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

:bong2:You should make a better light reflector. I like that reflective pad on your floor but you need something like that on top. That wood the you have your lights attached to should have some reflection in the cross area instead of that hole in the middle. Also You should move your operation to the corner of your room and use the white wall as reflection and make another reflective cardboard to close your plants in. Eventually, get a little desk fan for them and that should be suffice. The more you concentrate the light the better your plants will grow. Also you might be able to put the light a little closer to the tops since those bulbs are cool. What wattage are those CFLs?

sedate

sedate

bigchips said:
sorry, i forgot to say. This is a totaly homemade set up.

That is standout obvious dude.

OctoberDee said:
You should make a better light reflector.

Yea really. I mean omg that's - uh - quite an attempt - but really displays a lack of knowledge of artificial light and the way reflectors need to be positioned to - uh - actually work.

Here - have a read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

Anyway - you can tear that whole kite-looking thing down - and replace them with some $10 clamp reflectors from Wal-Mart for about 100x the effectiveness.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=14003468&findingMethod=rr

Um. For what it's worth - A+ for effort. That looks like it took forever with mylar. :tongueout

sedate

sedate

bigchips said:
the joy's of living in lanzarote

OMG. With the Spanish girls I could definitely get by without a Wal-Mart.

However warm the girls - you need to ditch that funny homemade thing and get some real reflectors.

And then replace that silly setup with a 250w HPS before you flower.

sedate

sedate

OctoberDee said:
Harsh! LOL

Oh whatever I gave 'em an A+ for effort.

I mean that mylar contraption must've taken like at least an hour or so to rig up.

I think I'm gonna save those first couple of pics. I mean those are absolutely classic.

B

bigchips

oh well. So if my set up is a load of shit, then grow faq must be a load of bollocks cos thats where i got the idea from. Have you growen autos before, if so can you enlighten me. Everyone i've spoke to says they can just about grow anywhere so i decided to give them a little extra help. I don't think there doing too bad for 5 days from seed. Lets wait to see my end result and if its shit, then take the piss and if it works out ok i'd love to know what you have to say then.

E.C.U.G

E.C.U.G

Breeder
Hey BC,
Welcome to the farm bro.do what works for you bro.only you can judge your results or setup.if it works for you then have at it,and if your happy with your outcome then thats all that matters....

The whole process is a learning expierence,and expermenting like you are will make you smarter for the next round..

Everyone likes there junk handled a lil different....same goes for plants.so kudos to you friend.i hope it brings you happy smiles and red eyes..

Later KMK:hi

sedate

sedate

I know if I read my post, I'd think I was a dick.

So no worries there bigchips.

bigchips said:
So if my set up is a load of shit, then grow faq must be a load of bollocks cos thats where i got the idea from

But I did go to all the trouble to link to the relevant info - the Inverse Square Law of Light - versus a fucking grow FAQ.

See - it would be physics - not a grow FAQ - is the determinant factor in the function of your homemade reflector.

A point-source of artificial light will lose 75% of the PAR value every doubling of distance from the bulb.

Ergo - by the time the light beams hit the crinkled mylar and reflect back down whatever 24" or so to the plant - the PAR value (light power rating) will be so anemic as to have no value to the plant.

If you replaced that funny thing with some clamp reflectors made from polished aluminum that sits directly behind and around the bulb - instead of crinkled mylar sitting some foot or two off - you'd probably more than triple the effective light on your little grow spot there for as little as $40.

bigchips said:
Have you growen autos before, if so can you enlighten me. Everyone i've spoke to says they can just about grow anywhere so i decided to give them a little extra help.

It doesn't matter what the strain is dude.

It matters how much light you can blast down on the plant - and CFL's are seriously weak sauce.

Go browse about the micro-grow forum or the LED forum and see what sort of results peepz really have with lighting like that.

Sure you might get some decent bud - but nothing that'll make your brain bleed out.

And anyway - if you insist on using CFL's all the way through - you'll need to swap out at least two of those bulbs for ones with a CRI of 3.5k to bring out a useful flowering spectrum.

bigchips said:
Everyone i've spoke to says they can just about grow anywhere so i decided to give them a little extra help. I don't think there doing too bad for 5 days from seed.

Um. I've scraped more weed off my scissors than 'everyone' you know has ever smoked in their lives.

You'd do well to listen to me.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
yes if you are happy with ok nugs than cfls are ok..... but if want buds like you have seen on the web and the farm...and I know you do all of us do ...make it through 2 or 3 hearvest with cfls then upgrade to a 600w HPS and just keep evolving and dont stop growing ......in every trade you start at the bottom and take the ribbing hold strong and keep getting better .never stop learning

Growster

Growster

oh well. So if my set up is a load of shit, then grow faq must be a load of bollocks cos thats where i got the idea from. Have you growen autos before, if so can you enlighten me. Everyone i've spoke to says they can just about grow anywhere so i decided to give them a little extra help. I don't think there doing too bad for 5 days from seed. Lets wait to see my end result and if its shit, then take the piss and if it works out ok i'd love to know what you have to say then.

Bro, you posted in the beginning asking for info and when it's given you take offense to it... He's not shunning your skills or putting your grow down, he's just offering a bit of advice. :)

By the way I agree with everybody so far about your Reflector...

I've heard that Aluminum Foil absorbs more light than it reflects... and with that being said, your Reflector is about a foot or two behind the base of your CFLs, and even from the picture doesn't look to be reflecting too much if any light at all...

yes if you are happy with ok nugs than cfls are ok..... but if want buds like you have seen on the web and the farm...and I know you do all of us do ...make it through 2 or 3 hearvest with cfls then upgrade to a 600w HPS and just keep evolving and dont stop growing ......in every trade you start at the bottom and take the ribbing hold strong and keep getting better .never stop learning

I agree with this also. No matter what trade you get in, Carpentry, Masonry, Music, Etc... You've got to start your way at the bottom and learn your way to the top. Don't stop growing bro, and don't stop learning!!!

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

Um. I've scraped more weed off my scissors than 'everyone' you know has ever smoked in their lives.

That's classic!! LMAO:passingjoint:
BTW BigChips, KMK is right and I was't laughing at you I was giving serious advice. Sedate took it and ran but the point of this whole thing is to help. Some people have a funny way of doing that I guess but that's how opinions work right. Is this a supplement to putting your plants outside? I saw that you posted other questions regarding wind.

T

theTinker

far too much harshness on this thread.

Are the lights stuck to the wood or clip on? Clip on lights are great for things like that as they are mucho cheap, can be moved around easily. and even attached to the pots to light from the underside if needed.

The reflector i doubt is helping much, and the reflectivity of tinfoil is very poor.

however since its cheap as paper, and if you want. If you get a sheet of cardboard and make a circular room around your plants with the inside lined with tinfoil (or anything better). Then You can have a easily movable, cheap, and effective way to side light a little more.

You could place that + of attached lights over it like a lid. plenty of room for hot to rise. and nost of the light is coming off the sides of the lights so not much will be reflected from the top anyways. most from the sides.

4 CFLs for 2 plants might not be enough though.Infact i doubt it for flowering. but if you can buy the clip ons for like 4-5dollars and a light for a dollar. then adding more around the light becomes easy.

Good luck with ur grow.

sedate

sedate

sky high said:
Brother Sedate holds CHURCH! Praise Jah!

Up, full of joe and sativa this AM, bro?

LOL

Something like that.

:passingjoint:

B

bigchips

day 18

day 18 and every thing in looking ok. Any advice on watering and feeding would be great. These are autoflowering critical+ grown under clf's. 4 26w at the mo. But i have a 100w ready for flowering and i'll use the 23's for extra light. Thanks in advance, bigchips.

Citical day 18
Critical day 18

Latest posts

Top Bottom