NATURAL, HOT, LIQUID, DEATH!

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
SO check this out. I was at one of my spots that has been neglected. Not using tea past month here, barely just checking on them. Everything seemed ok, so I didnt sweat it. You know, sometimes plants thrive on neglect.

So I decide last night I need to do more than just look at them, and what do i find, fungus gnat larvae all up in my algae infested cubes. I was pissed, because I had wiped them all out and now they are back and it seems with a vengeance. I got online and started reading. i was ready to go ballistic, because I HATE these larvae.

I found a thread on gardenscure where they were talking about wiping them out, using permethrin, pyrethrin, BTi, etc etc.. And one lady comes in to the thread, all stoked talking about hot water. Hot water from the tap, instantly killing her gnats.

Well, I figured since I could see them all over, might as well try an experiment. Went and filled a cup full of 130 degree water and dumped it on one small plant. Those larvae got FUUUUUUCKED UP!!!! They all instantly stretched out as soon as the water hit them and they were dead. I mean completely boiled. That's when I got excited, and I started trying to find more.

In the process of trying to find more, I thought I would check the underside of the cubes (somethign I rarely do before transplant). To my dismay, I found the beginnings of a red-assed root aphid colony going to town on my nice roots. FUCK. FUCK. FUCK.

Well, I figured these little cunts are about as soft bodied as the larvae, so I go and fill me a bucket of 130 degree water and I dunk the cube in for 30 seconds. They did not like it. In fact, it boiled the shit out of those aphids!!! INSTANT HOT LIQUID DEATH.

I was so happy. I proceeded to do half my room before realizing I may be fucking my plants up. I thought it would be best go to bed, and see if they were ok in the morning.

This morning I reluctantly checked them. Nothin'. Girls totally good A+. No damage to the roots, or the root hairs.

I dunked the rest of the plants, put on my hazmat suit and went to town bleaching everything (walls, fixtures, floors, trays, under the tables etc). Then the same process with physan, then Exciter.

Tomorrow I'm hitting them with Merit, and then going back to 1x per week benny tea concentrate.

No more lazy farmer.

I'll keep this updated on progress.

EDIT: BE CAREFUL AND TEST A PLANT FIRST BEFORE USING THIS METHOD!!!! WEAK PLANTS MAY DIE. TRY LOWER TEMPS FIRST (110-120), and see what that does.

DowNwithDirT

DowNwithDirT

seems that your stuff only knocks things down and doesn't fully eradicate things me thinks....

permethrin straight fries gnat larvae and the aphids as far as I can tell.

doubletree

doubletree

cool to know that something as simple as hot water works and that it doesnt affect the plants.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
seems that your stuff only knocks things down and doesn't fully eradicate things me thinks....

permethrin straight fries gnat larvae and the aphids as far as I can tell.

Bro re read my post. I had knocked the gnats out. My room is not sealed and I had been sucking in air with no filter after replacing an AC recently. Fixed that too. Had completely neglected room for a month. That is more than enough time to re introduce a pest.

I have never had RA's in this room BTW. In fact I haven't seen one in any room in almost 3 years.

All other rooms are totally pest and mildew free.

Hot water is cheaper than permethrin, woudn't you agree?

rvd

rvd

damn i thought hot water would kill plants for shure.good deal

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Great tip, Cap. Thanks!

outwest

Reactions: mal
ttystikk

ttystikk

I think 'hot' water is relative; if 130 degrees is enough, then that's fine. Boiling water would definitely kill plants.

By the way, boiling water is the instant killer for flying insects like wasps and hornets; just hit their nest with a good panful of boiling water. A chinese roomate showed me how it's done, right before he took down the wasp nest, tore it apart, fried the grubs in oil until 'golden brown'... and ate them. I tried one, tasted like fried chicken, lol. Come to think of it, I've never had a wasp fuck with me since.

DowNwithDirT

DowNwithDirT

word. cap you never stated suck in your original post.

all you said was that you quit doing teas and neglected shit. Not that you had a fresh air intake and whatever else.

Believe me I'm hoping for the best but have heard many mixed opinions.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

Are you sure you didn't introduce the root aphids cap? I have never heard of red butt root aphids flying in through the air intake. If this is possible, I wonder how fine of a mesh screen I would need to have over my intake in order to be safe? The one I have now is fine enough to prevent gnats. Wonder if it is good enough for RAs too? I know I'm probably susceptable to microscopic sized spider mites, but I dip every new clone in avid/floramite (alternate) so I don't worry too much about them.

Actually, I only have one unsealed room right now and I'm thinking I should stop being a cheap bastard and just seal it up and turn on the already installed AC system after reading this thread.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I don't know how I would have introduced them unless they hitched a ride on my clothes somehow. I don't take rooted cuttings from anyone... I think they got sucked in from outside. For 3 weeks I have had no filter at all on a 6" hole to the outside world that is sucking in air 24/7/

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I think 'hot' water is relative; if 130 degrees is enough, then that's fine. Boiling water would definitely kill plants.

By the way, boiling water is the instant killer for flying insects like wasps and hornets; just hit their nest with a good panful of boiling water. A chinese roomate showed me how it's done, right before he took down the wasp nest, tore it apart, fried the grubs in oil until 'golden brown'... and ate them. I tried one, tasted like fried chicken, lol. Come to think of it, I've never had a wasp fuck with me since.

Thats why I said "hot" and specified 130 degrees, which I used my laser gun to read.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Are you sure you didn't introduce the root aphids cap? I have never heard of red butt root aphids flying in through the air intake. If this is possible, I wonder how fine of a mesh screen I would need to have over my intake in order to be safe? The one I have now is fine enough to prevent gnats. Wonder if it is good enough for RAs too? I know I'm probably susceptable to microscopic sized spider mites, but I dip every new clone in avid/floramite (alternate) so I don't worry too much about them.

Actually, I only have one unsealed room right now and I'm thinking I should stop being a cheap bastard and just seal it up and turn on the already installed AC system after reading this thread.

Weird thing is there are no flyers. just a few on half the plants. Caught it very early.

Thoth

Thoth

Very useful tip Cap, thanks for sharing.

I'm genuinely surprised that water that hot doesn't affect the plants negatively. Always good to have another method to deal with pests at your disposal, especially one so simple and virtually free!

dankworth

dankworth

I read some shit when I was reading all about RAs that the grape people were doing that exact same thing, dunking the rootball in 120something degree water, may have stated 125 degrees. They claimed a remarkable degree of effectiveness too.

Thanks for the data-rich observations Cap.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Like I said you are a wealth of good information as well as good bennies, hope all is well with you and yours

mal

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Update:

Checked the plants as I moved them back to their places 12 hours later. All the RA's are dead. I could not find I live one and I spent an hour looking.

Dropping Merit tomorrow. Can't take a chance this round. C.H.U.B.B must succeed!

lustful joyz

lustful joyz

sweet mang im gunna try this out next time i have a problem. i frikkin hate fungus gnats n aphids

dankworth

dankworth

excellent
No dude you gotta be all "Excellent"
Mr.-Burns1.jpg

Top Bottom