Need Help On Lights

• Thread starter Iceman2494
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FutureGrower

Ok- I am talking about effective lumens, not total. 200W of the white light LED is producing 24,000 lumens, but there is no heat, so the plant canopy can be much closer to the light source. HPS lights (all light sources) are measured at 12” from the bulb. Most folks are probably keeping their top buds nearly 24” away from their 1000W HPS to prevent burning. At a distance of 24” those 100,000 drop to 25,000 lumens ( you need to divide by 4, that is the calculation. So if I am running two 100W white LED lamps (4000K spectrum), and getting 24,000 lumens at 12” is effectively very close to the same lumens.

I'm sorry but that's about 120 lumens per watt which is really not good by modern LED standards. Now its about 170 lumens per watt and generally you have alot of room to improve by driving units softer then manufactured test currents.

I mean some COBs are in that range too but the older ones mostly....

F

FutureGrower

Ok- I am talking about effective lumens, not total. 200W of the white light LED is producing 24,000 lumens, but there is no heat, so the plant canopy can be much closer to the light source. HPS lights (all light sources) are measured at 12” from the bulb. Most folks are probably keeping their top buds nearly 24” away from their 1000W HPS to prevent burning. At a distance of 24” those 100,000 drop to 25,000 lumens ( you need to divide by 4, that is the calculation. So if I am running two 100W white LED lamps (4000K spectrum), and getting 24,000 lumens at 12” is effectively very close to the same lumens.

All of that talk about height.... my unit is running about 6" off canopy running 550 (650 or so at the wall) watts on a 4x4 area.. my units are rated for 170 lumens per watt at I believe 6-12" I dont remember, but I'm driving the units 30% or so softer then manufacturers recommend so it's way better then that...

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Your claim of replacing 1000w hps with 200w leds is flawed for more than one reason in my opinion,
First, you are not going to get much coverage with 2 cobs, no where near the coverage you get with a 1000w hps and a big hood. You may get great results right under the cobs. I do too. Right under my 80w cob at 8 inches i am getting crazy good readings but the light intensity drops very quickly as you move the luxmeter. So the 600w led suggestion is more than anything about the coverage.
Second, never used hps and never will. Imho they have problems, high consumption, less than ideal spectrum, fire hazard etc. etc. but if you really want to add blue why not go with blurples than. Eventho i use true full spectrum lights now, i think blurples should be the most effective ones to grow plants. It is what they are designed for.
Above everything else, for me the most problematic thing about your claim is, you are still talking about lumens, which has nothing to do with growing. The lumens we measure is a deadzone for photosynthesis.
Now after all thats said and done, i think cobs or qbs can easily replace hps, mh, cmh etc. but you cannot get 4x4 or 5x5 coverage with 200w of cobs. That is the point i am trying to make. It is about coverage as much as it is about intensity. One of the mods, heisenbubble was doing some nice grows, comparing some of these to cobs. You may want to check it out.
Cobs with good spectrum are great and out doing these lights but with greater wattage than 200w. 600w can replace 1000hps nicely, no more no less and 40% savings is incredible for the environment and your bank account (on the long run :))

B

Buddy Brain

I'm sorry but that's about 120 lumens per watt which is really not good by modern LED standards. Now its about 170 lumens per watt and generally you have alot of room to improve by driving units softer then manufactured test currents.

I mean some COBs are in that range too but the older ones mostly....

I agree that these are not the most efficient LEDs compared to the new Cree COBs. But I just don’t care to do it as a DIY project, and for $160 I got what I needed

F

FutureGrower

I agree that these are not the most efficient LEDs compared to the new Cree COBs. But I just don’t care to do it as a DIY project, and for $160 I got what I needed

Man at the end of the day that is all that matters.

B

Buddy Brain

What light did you buy?

I found 100W white LED lamps in the 4000k spectrum at Super Bright LEDs.com
I paid $80.00 each, the price just came down to $72.00, I know because I just bought a 3rd lamp. Each one produces 12,000 lumens, I have the lights about 25” apart. Am growing 4 blueberry under the two lamps. I top and lollipop my plants to try to get most of the bud up high. Surprisingly the buds that grew 12-18” below the top bud were not crappy popcorn buds, they had decent size and density.

Mullpig

Mullpig

I paid $80.00 each, the price just came down to $72.00, I know because I just bought a 3rd lamp. Each one produces 12,000 lumens, I have the lights about 25” apart. Am growing 4 blueberry under the two lamps. I top and lollipop my plants to try to get most of the bud up high. Surprisingly the buds that grew 12-18” below the top bud were not crappy popcorn buds, they had decent size and density.
Any pics dude

Iceman2494

Iceman2494

You used the led lights to flower too ?

Iceman2494

Iceman2494

Think I should do t5 for a veg tent . Main tent use all Qb in 3k spectrum. Now real question is how do I convince my wife... we haven’t smoked in almost a year .im not in a legal state . Not a dealer. I love the hobby since I’ve done it 10 years ago . Will smoke my own product so I’m looking to maximize.

Mullpig

Mullpig

Dang . Did you lst it ? You have a good spread on outside for colas .
Yeah I topped this girl at 5 nodes, not long after the last pic I put up.
Then done some super cropping and lst.
It's been a really vigorous grower this strain and it smells beautiful!
Can't wait until she's done to test

Latest posts

Top Bottom