Need Help On Lights

• Thread starter Iceman2494
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mullpig

Mullpig

Some responding to lst I did . With pic of seelings . Gotta expand tent to a grow tent .idk if I have room for a stativa dom almost a month old to go another 30 days to wait on seedlings .thoughts?
Actually other way around haha first dry 2nd freshly picked

MagicSeth

MagicSeth

I have been using viparspectra 450 , 600, and the 300 and have had amazing results. In a 2x4 tent with 2 plants using a scrog net in 3 gallon pots and the 450 I have had 2 yields of 6 ounces of bud . The buds were nice and firm and the smoke is fantastic. I have used the 600 in a 3x3 , deep water culture in 5 gallon container and my yield was eight good ounces. I have daisy chained the 600 and the 300 in a 3x3 with 3 plants and got 12 ounces. These are great lights for a closet grower. I also use a CMH light and get 16 to 18 ounces with 3 plants in 5 gallon pots. These are some really good lights. Now if you growing for money then these are not the lights for you. I cannot say that your yields will be the same as mine that is something called growers talent and you will have to learn that right here like I did. You are in the right place. Now its time to LIGHT EM UP peace bro. I am outtttt!!!

B

Bisceg

I just finished my first run ever using a rig I built using Solstix X3’s. My space is a little over 3’x5’ but if I had a 2x4 I would use a couple of these:

Or make your own using these:

P

PyrPressure

I just finished my first run ever using a rig I built using Solstix X3’s. My space is a little over 3’x5’ but if I had a 2x4 I would use a couple of these:

Or make your own using these:

I am also going DIY for my first grow. My 4x4 tent just arrived and I have decided on using 2x HLG 260W (QB with Samsung LM301B diodes).

Question: They come in both 3k and 4k spectrum. I was thinking of getting one in each spectrum but not sure if this is best idea. Erik at LEDlightsdepot said 3k for yield and 4k for quality. My goal is quality.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
I am also going DIY for my first grow. My 4x4 tent just arrived and I have decided on using 2x HLG 260W (QB with Samsung LM301B diodes).

Question: They come in both 3k and 4k spectrum. I was thinking of getting one in each spectrum but not sure if this is best idea. Erik at LEDlightsdepot said 3k for yield and 4k for quality. My goal is quality.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks.

Either will work. I personally would go with 3500K or 4000K ‘cause i like shorter bushier plants. Getting 2 in different color could be a little problematic as one half of the tent would get higher K and other a lower K. Not by much but still.
Now if you had bought 4 and ran them at half the current they are suppose to run and placed them 2 on each half (1 3000K + 1 4000K) it would even be better. But again i dont think its gonna make a huge difference.
If youre gonna veg under them too. Definitely 2x4000K then.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Why not do both and put one 3k and one 4k on each fixture. I have 2x HLG 260 XW in my 4x4 and went with all 3k, but i didnt have the option of 4k at the time. You will like them.

B

Bisceg

Why not do both and put one 3k and one 4k on each fixture. I have 2x HLG 260 XW in my 4x4 and went with all 3k, but i didnt have the option of 4k at the time. You will like them.
That’s the beauty of the SolStix X3’s. One-third of the LEDs are 5700k and two-thirds are 2700k. Even coverage and bright as the sun. I yielded a gram/watt on my first grow with them.

P

PyrPressure

@CrimsonEcho,

Thanks for the feedback!

When Erik said 4K = quality, my visceral instinct also was the 4000K bc of my preference for stocky, bushy plants. But my inference from online research ad nauseam was that most use 3000K if using for both veg and flower so I started to doubt my instinct. Unfortunately, I don't think the HLG kits offer a 3500K option - just 3000K or 4000K.

I do have a new MarsHydro 400W Epistar Pro II with plenty of red diodes. One thought I had was to get the 4000K HLG 260 kits and use the Mars for supplemental red during flowering.

Again, I appreciate your time and thoughts. This is an awesome-ly fun project but I didn't anticipate getting so deep in the weeds of my lighting, in a manner of speaking ;)

P

PyrPressure

@Rootbound,

That is a very cool idea - I completely forgot that since it is a kit I can mount them however I want!

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
@CrimsonEcho,

Thanks for the feedback!

When Erik said 4K = quality, my visceral instinct also was the 4000K bc of my preference for stocky, bushy plants. But my inference from online research ad nauseam was that most use 3000K if using for both veg and flower so I started to doubt my instinct. Unfortunately, I don't think the HLG kits offer a 3500K option - just 3000K or 4000K.

I do have a new MarsHydro 400W Epistar Pro II with plenty of red diodes. One thought I had was to get the 4000K HLG 260 kits and use the Mars for supplemental red during flowering.

Again, I appreciate your time and thoughts. This is an awesome-ly fun project but I didn't anticipate getting so deep in the weeds of my lighting, in a manner of speaking ;)

Dude you must start reading some other sources then. Veg and flower 3500-4000K. Flower only 2700-3000K. These work best and any farmer here will tell you something very close to this.

Seems like a good setup. Welcome to the farm.

P

PyrPressure

Dude you must start reading some other sources then. Veg and flower 3500-4000K. Flower only 2700-3000K. These work best and any farmer here will tell you something very close to this.

Seems like a good setup. Welcome to the farm.

Ha! Don't I know it - kinda hard to sort the wheat from the chaff with the online info. I try to read as widely as possible and then synthesize. But that's why we noobs need y'all (experienced growers) around to set us straight and keep us growing high!

I appreciate the welcome and am looking forward to harvest time :smoking::smoking::smoking:

H

hawkman

To increase terpene's in late flower use just a "blue" spectrum in the last 3 days before harvest

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Ha! Don't I know it - kinda hard to sort the wheat from the chaff with the online info. I try to read as widely as possible and then synthesize. But that's why we noobs need y'all (experienced growers) around to set us straight and keep us growing high!

I appreciate the welcome and am looking forward to harvest time :smoking::smoking::smoking:

Not very experienced in growing cannabis tho i’ve been tending gardens and growing cash crops since i was 7 years old.

Happy to help, you can use the search function. The forum has plethora of info, you can find definitive answers for almost any question you have. If you can’t just post a thread :)

P

PyrPressure

Not very experienced in growing cannabis tho i’ve been tending gardens and growing cash crops since i was 7 years old.

Happy to help, you can use the search function. The forum has plethora of info, you can find definitive answers for almost any question you have. If you can’t just post a thread :)

Thanks!

You'll likely be seeing me around quite a bit now that my grow space is, albeit slowly, coming together finally!

Bardfoadmraj

Bardfoadmraj

Growing is really expensive Id save at least 4000 dollars. What you need though is really up to the grower and power. I don't have a carbon filter or a ventilating fan, that's too much power. I am also doing it in the middle of winter in a basement at -30. Id recommend using ballasts on fifty percent and mixing spectrums. That way you avoid any problems with power. In my grow, the only units using power are the ballasts and timers. I know a lot of commercial units want installations done on them. If you are going to consume it you want the best lights for flowering cannabis right which right now is the ceramic HPS by hortilux and the hyper arc by Par PRO. The par pro can be run at 300 watts too on a cheap ballast.

Last edited:
Munch517

Munch517

Out of that list the qb288 wins hands down, the other two lights are trash and I'd strongly advise to avoid them. One qb288 will not be enough for a 2x4 though, you'd need at least two although three wouldn't hurt. You could wish a Mars sp250 (or possibly their ts2000), it should be equal to two qb288s while being a little less efficient, not a bad solution for $260. Two or three qb288s would still be the better option though.

TimeLine

TimeLine

good stuff...

I want to spend $600 or less
I have no more then 6.5' for height width determined by lighting restrictions w/i that current budget
More of an outdoor grower

I liked the vibe of Mars but I read everyone saying they wish they had X instead
I wanna know what I need for electrical capabilities with what is offered as suggestion also

was the world easier with out leds u people all speak in some alien code language of lighting that makes my head go popadoppa

thanks from Zutron

Munch517

Munch517

good stuff...

I want to spend $600 or less
I have no more then 6.5' for height width determined by lighting restrictions w/i that current budget
More of an outdoor grower

I liked the vibe of Mars but I read everyone saying they wish they had X instead
I wanna know what I need for electrical capabilities with what is offered as suggestion also

was the world easier with out leds u people all speak in some alien code language of lighting that makes my head go popadoppa

thanks from Zutron

How big is your grow space?

As far as Mars goes, I only stand behind there TS and SP models, they made a lot junk before that. Even then they're budget lights, HLG is probably a slightly better option. The next step are the $1k+ lights that generally cover 4x4 areas.

TimeLine

TimeLine

How big is your grow space?

As far as Mars goes, I only stand behind there TS and SP models, they made a lot junk before that. Even then they're budget lights, HLG is probably a slightly better option. The next step are the $1k+ lights that generally cover 4x4 areas.
space to be determined upon lighting choice w/i budget

Munch517

Munch517

space to be determined upon lighting choice w/i budget

I'd suggest putting together the highest wattage HLG setup you can get for your budget, I'd defer to the HLG guys on here for specifics, they know their stuff. I can say that if you stepped up your budget to $850 the HLG 550 would be an easy choice.

Top Bottom