Need Help Picking Soil.

• Thread starter Iceman2494
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Iceman2494

Iceman2494

I’m looking to start a new grow . I haven’t done one in years . I was Thinking as my soil to use Fox Farm Ocean Forest ? I was going to start in a solo cup at first. Then move to a bigger pot . My question is . Would it be too much for the seedling ? If not would I have to give it nutes , how long and when etc. thanks for the help as it’s been a very long time .

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

It’s good enough to carry seedling through the first 2-3 weeks. Then you can up-pot to a mix of happy frog and ocean forest in a 50/50 ratio with your plants final home being purely ocean forest. This would allow you to use less nutrients throughout the process, however, you would still want to use some sort of nutrient to get your best results.

Iceman2494

Iceman2494

It’s good enough to carry seedling through the first 2-3 weeks. Then you can up-pot to a mix of happy frog and ocean forest in a 50/50 ratio with your plants final home being purely ocean forest. This would allow you to use less nutrients throughout the process, however, you would still want to use some sort of nutrient to get your best results.
At what time should I start giving them nutrients? Don’t want to burn them after I mix frog and ocean together. Sorry for all questions. Took awhile to get these beans .

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

You will want to start feeding somewhere between week 2 and 3, it’s likely the plants will tell you when they are ready for the nutrients. I would start at a low strength, 1/4 or half strength depending on what nutrients you are using.

Iceman2494

Iceman2494

You will want to start feeding somewhere between week 2 and 3, it’s likely the plants will tell you when they are ready for the nutrients. I would start at a low strength, 1/4 or half strength depending on what nutrients you are using.
Very much appreciated!

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

No problem. The reality is as scientific as this can get sometimes it’s just about responding to the plant; what they like and what they don’t.

Iceman2494

Iceman2494

No problem. The reality is as scientific as this can get sometimes it’s just about responding to the plant; what they like and what they don’t.
Now I wait for these seeds to germinate and get started . Seeds are kind of tiny

JustStartedD

JustStartedD

Does that have enough nutrients to supply it for awhile ? Or do I have to grab some nutrients ?
I use ffof, I actually mixed more things into the fox farms. And never have I had a seedling die because of the soil being too hot. But I wouldn't use "nutrients" until the seedling is 7-10 days old. It should have a 2nd set of leaves forming. But also I don't really use nutrients because I mixed up a really good soil and as I transplant there will always be an abundance of microbiology. + the new microbes from the fresh soil. The plant will feed the entire life cycle off the soil. Also get some real growers recharge and some mychorizae, better roots and faster plant growth. And use a little sprinkle of mykos on ur seeds

Iceman2494

Iceman2494

I use ffof, I actually mixed more things into the fox farms. And never have I had a seedling die because of the soil being too hot. But I wouldn't use "nutrients" until the seedling is 7-10 days old. It should have a 2nd set of leaves forming. But also I don't really use nutrients because I mixed up a really good soil and as I transplant there will always be an abundance of microbiology. + the new microbes from the fresh soil. The plant will feed the entire life cycle off the soil. Also get some real growers recharge and some mychorizae, better roots and faster plant growth. And use a little sprinkle of mykos on ur seeds
What I was going to do is start off using happy frog in a solo cup then transport it to a 5 gal .was going to use fox farm grow big I guess during veg state . Would that be ok to use on a 7-10 day ? Or just wait a couple after I transport because of the FFOF . I’m hoping these seeds sprout . I got them from Canadian bank . They are just smaller version of what I’m use to seeing .

JustStartedD

JustStartedD

What I was going to do is start off using happy frog in a solo cup then transport it to a 5 gal .was going to use fox farm grow big I guess during veg state . Would that be ok to use on a 7-10 day ? Or just wait a couple after I transport because of the FFOF . I’m hoping these seeds sprout . I got them from Canadian bank . They are just smaller version of what I’m use to seeing .
Don't do that , unless ur 100% it'll be a female don't waste your soil. Go from solo cup to small nursery pot. To a 1 gal and so on. And 7-10 days after it breaks the soil the plant should be good enough to hold nutrients and not die or burn

JustStartedD

JustStartedD

Also. You can leave the plants in solo cups for about 3-4 weeks. It will dry out a lot more , but you'll have a sturdy rootball and it'll cause less shock when transplanting since u won't have as much soil falling off & possibly breaking some roots

Iceman2494

Iceman2494

Also. You can leave the plants in solo cups for about 3-4 weeks. It will dry out a lot more , but you'll have a sturdy rootball and it'll cause less shock when transplanting since u won't have as much soil falling off & possibly breaking some roots
I ordered fem seeds . Northern lights and super lemon haze . Nothing fancy for trial run. Only have 1 of each .

JustStartedD

JustStartedD

I ordered fem seeds . Northern lights and super lemon haze . Nothing fancy for trial run
Do 1 & 1 and whenever they're big enough cut some small clones and try to have them ready by flowering time so you make 2-3 plants out of 1 and don't have to waste extra seeds. And if they're females then just go to solo cup to ur last vessel, but you might have to add fertilizer towards the end of the grow.

Iceman2494

Iceman2494

I ordered fem seeds . Northern lights and super lemon haze . Nothing fancy for trial run
Do 1 & 1 and whenever they're big enough cut some small clones and try to have them ready by flowering time so you make 2-3 plants out of 1 and don't have to waste extra seeds. And if they're females then just go to solo cup to ur last vessel, but you might have to add fertilizer towards the end of the grow.
5 gal good enough ? Guess I’ll try all fox farm blends and see how it goes . First I hope these tiny ass seeds can germinate . Was going to clone . Not sure how’d id go about that since I have mischievous kids . Not a whole lot of room .

JustStartedD

JustStartedD

5 gal good enough ? Guess I’ll try all fox farm blends and see how it goes . First I hope these tiny ass seeds can germinate . Was going to clone . Not sure how’d id go about that since I have mischievous kids . Not a whole lot of room .
these pots are a little under 1 gal , they're 3 days since transplant and I will leave them there until they show sex which should be another 2-3 weeks. And I'll move these to a 3 gal pot Bc I'm running out of soil. And I'm pretty sure you can keep them in the solo cup until they're a bit bigger than this but it's no good for the plant to get root bound

Iceman2494

Iceman2494

these pots are a little under 1 gal , they're 3 days since transplant and I will leave them there until they show sex which should be another 2-3 weeks. And I'll move these to a 3 gal pot Bc I'm running out of soil. And I'm pretty sure you can keep them in the solo cup until they're a bit bigger than this but it's no good for the plant to get root bound
Thinking I should just go just FFOF when I put them in the cups or mix 50/50 happy frog with some extra perlite?

JustStartedD

JustStartedD

Also. Make sure to add perlite to your soil. Add like about 6 quarts for the big bag. Even though they add some to it. I don't think it's enough. And the more drainage you have the better. Your plants won't ever be sitting in water. & last thing this is kinda off topic. But don't water 4 hour until ur lights turn off either. Early morning waters are good

Reactions: Ina

Latest posts

Top Bottom