Need Help With Diy Dwc.

• Thread starter Bones69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bones69

Bones69

Guys I need help. I decided to give hydro a shot and a buddy got me into this dwc thing so last weekend I wen out and bought a few buckets, air stones, air pump
Etc but there is a language barrier so it's hard for me to understand what he is talking about so I am reaching out to you guys. First off I need to get these basic questions answered because I'm lost lmfao! I am a soil grower for 20 years and totally out of my element so 1st question
How do I feed nutes? Do I need a seperate res? Do I need a pump other then air pump? He tells me know I do not need but I think I do. Then how do you feed nutes?
I will stop right here because I can go on for ever but I want to do this 1 step at a time. So anyone with any info to help?
Thanks and i will post a pic of the basic shit I got.
Peace

superbudding

superbudding

Quick non technical soil to DWC/
Think of each bucket as a plant pot with the soil including it's nutrients etc now been the water and nutrients in that bucket.
Bubble air through the bucket of water and nutrients to keep it moving, stop algae and you are keeping it aereated by introducing air from the pump into the bucket. (weight the air stones) now the root zone hangs above the level of the water and is suspended in clay pebbles or similar to hold the plant up. Roots get air nutes and water and of it grows into the bucket.
\end.

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
Guys I need help. I decided to give hydro a shot and a buddy got me into this dwc thing so last weekend I wen out and bought a few buckets, air stones, air pump
Etc but there is a language barrier so it's hard for me to understand what he is talking about so I am reaching out to you guys. First off I need to get these basic questions answered because I'm lost lmfao! I am a soil grower for 20 years and totally out of my element so 1st question
How do I feed nutes? Do I need a seperate res? Do I need a pump other then air pump? He tells me know I do not need but I think I do. Then how do you feed nutes?
I will stop right here because I can go on for ever but I want to do this 1 step at a time. So anyone with any info to help?
Thanks and i will post a pic of the basic shit I got.
Peace

there is a ton of ways to do hydro.. sounds like a bubbler system your friend is trying to get you set up with.. that just needs an air pump as you put nutes etc into the water.. dwc can be fun but can be a PITA as well as its night and day from soil.

Id suggest an easier hydro method to get your feet wet so to speak. simple drip system , or a flood and drain.. again tons of way to grow hydro. I personally like dwc but I live in the deep south and water temp is key when doing a bubbler.

stutter

stutter

this should clear it up a little,

Bubbler dwc system 1

the nutrient is just in the water all the time, the roots grow down into the water, no need for another pump

Werunwild69

Werunwild69

Quick non technical soil to DWC/
Think of each bucket as a plant pot with the soil including it's nutrients etc now been the water and nutrients in that bucket.
Bubble air through the bucket of water and nutrients to keep it moving, stop algae and you are keeping it aereated by introducing air from the pump into the bucket. (weight the air stones) now the root zone hangs above the level of the water and is suspended in clay pebbles or similar to hold the plant up. Roots get air nutes and water and of it grows into the bucket.
\end.
My experience has been great with the set-up cannapits mentions, but if you have more than a few plants changing the water can be a real PITA with all those buckets, unless you are a part time plumber and interconnect them. If you like giant plants or need a fast growing mother do it. Otherwise if you are not familiar with a strain, they can get out of hand quickly. Myself, I prefer topfeeding 8" rockwool blocks.

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
need a fast growing mother do it

yeah thats where I use this system mostly.. mom up a cut real quick to fill rooms.. . it can be a chore to clean out many of those buckets for sure.. I love DWC but again its hard to keep the water temps in check down here and Ive never tried a chiller..

Werunwild69

Werunwild69

I hear that a lot of people have water temp issues. I did a DWC grow in vegas about 20 yrs. ago with a bunch of seeds I got in canada. It was in the middle of summer, my room temps were in the 90's as well as my water temps, the GH nutes were pushing 2000+ and enough CO2 to probably extinguish a flame. Seems crazy but they loved it!!! I don't know, maybe they had climatized I suppose. They came out of the seed shell in that enviroment.

Bones69

Bones69

this should clear it up a little,

View attachment 489444

the nutrient is just in the water all the time, the roots grow down into the water, no need for another pump
Ok thanks. I am only going to be doing 2 plants just to see if I even like it.
Just 1 question, how often you change the water? And when you do you take the lid off put the plant in another bucket until the original bucket is cleaned and ph ready?
That's actually 2 questions.

Bones69

Bones69

yeah thats where I use this system mostly.. mom up a cut real quick to fill rooms.. . it can be a chore to clean out many of those buckets for sure.. I love DWC but again its hard to keep the water temps in check down here and Ive never tried a chiller..
What is optimal water temp?

Bones69

Bones69

My experience has been great with the set-up cannapits mentions, but if you have more than a few plants changing the water can be a real PITA with all those buckets, unless you are a part time plumber and interconnect them. If you like giant plants or need a fast growing mother do it. Otherwise if you are not familiar with a strain, they can get out of hand quickly. Myself, I prefer topfeeding 8" rockwool blocks.
Actually I am a plumber by trade proud union member for 20 years lmao! If I like how it works compared to soil, I will be doing a hole set up with 6 to 8 pots, res, chiller the hole shit but I've been a soil guy for 20 years but damn I'm seeing some of these yields dwc is bringing so I have to give it a try.
Thanks brother

Werunwild69

Werunwild69

Actually I am a plumber by trade proud union member for 20 years lmao! If I like how it works compared to soil, I will be doing a hole set up with 6 to 8 pots, res, chiller the hole shit but I've been a soil guy for 20 years but damn I'm seeing some of these yields dwc is bringing so I have to give it a try.
Thanks brother
Give it a try! You being a plumber it's surely a added benefit. There are a lot more things I'd do if I were a plumber.

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
Ok thanks. I am only going to be doing 2 plants just to see if I even like it.
Just 1 question, how often you change the water? And when you do you take the lid off put the plant in another bucket until the original bucket is cleaned and ph ready?
That's actually 2 questions.

Yeah I just put the plant in another bucket while cleaning it out.. Id change out water once a week just to avoid root rot but again thats cause im in warmer area.

Bones69

Bones69

Give it a try! You being a plumber it's surely a added benefit. There are a lot more things I'd do if I were a plumber.
I'm going to try a basic set up and see if I like it. My only fear is the weed tasting like shit but that's just my paranoia speaking but I always heard that soil taste better? If I like it I will probably stay with it and build something nice.
Thanks for the reply

Bones69

Bones69

Yeah I just put the plant in another bucket while cleaning it out.. Id change out water once a week just to avoid root rot but again thats cause im in warmer area.
I would change it out once a week regardless. I'm a nut case like that. Always trying to prevent failure.
Thanks for the feedback

MrTools9

MrTools9

I started in 5 gallon buckets , 10inch net pot , and 2 air stones , but in that five gallon system I could only use 2.5 gallons of water, and nutes. I was adding nutes and water every 3-4 days... So went BigBoi on em 28 gallon , water chiller to keep nutes at 69 degrees and 4 lines of bubbling , and of course the 10inch net pot ... Almost done with the set up just waiting on the chiller . Here's a pic of the ship done , and will post once all parts are up and running .

Bones69

Bones69

I started in 5 gallon buckets , 10inch net pot , and 2 air stones , but in that five gallon system I could only use 2.5 gallons of water, and nutes. I was adding nutes and water every 3-4 days... So went BigBoi on em 28 gallon , water chiller to keep nutes at 69 degrees and 4 lines of bubbling , and of course the 10inch net pot ... Almost done with the set up just waiting on the chiller . Here's a pic of the ship done , and will post once all parts are up and running .
Yo that is insane lmao!
Is that for 1 plant? Yo I'm in bed now but tomorrow I will show you pictures of what I picked up so far. Everything for just 2, 5 gallon buckets but since I have time waiting to clear out my flower room, I am thinking of 15 to 20 gallon reservoir for recirculation but I am straight up newbie with hydro. Soil for 20 years. I gotta pick your brain a bit if you don't mind because that picture shows me you know your hydro.
Thanks for sharing brother.

Latest posts

Top Bottom