Need more root room, 30 gal system

• Thread starter woodsmaneh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

OK so back at it, moved the system but it is still crowded, but onward we go. Will be putting ladies in tonight after I fill with food. Made some changes and am adding CO2

IMGP4087

IMGP4088

IMGP4097

IMGP4100

IMGP4091

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

How did the uniseals work on the round barrels? I couldnt get them to seal on my Brute build so I had to use bulkheads instead. Just curious if the 4" sealed up tight.
Love to see it in action.

If you cut the right size hole it should be no problem. You need to smoth the edges of the hole and other than using windex regular thats it. I also found that some of the seals leaked at first but after a couple days stopped.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Still waiting on the RO water so put the lights up and working some leaks, nothing big. Got the pump running and chiller hooked up, got the food mixed. Using DM Gold with Add25, Silica, Zone, Majic-cal and folar with Liquid light. Run them at 600 for a week or till I get movement in PH & PPM then I move to 750 for the next week. Well I sexed some new gear and went to the fridge and pulled out the Herijuana/Big White that came down about 10 days ago, smooth, ..............Kind of makes me drift...... back later

ttystikk

ttystikk

Gotta love the Eco 7 air pump, those things are badass.

Can't wait to see you blow it up! Did the DIY feel of oyur grow, fits with my own approach.

Btw, does the wallpaper make the ladies feel more at home? :rofl

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Gotta love the Eco 7 air pump, those things are badass.

Can't wait to see you blow it up! Did the DIY feel of oyur grow, fits with my own approach.

Btw, does the wallpaper make the ladies feel more at home? :rofl

Don't know if it makes them feel good but when I'm in there with a beer and a blunt playing with them it makes me feel good, my happy place, Last year I had a sunset mural up, LOL don't know what to do next year? Any ideas for the wall??

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Here is how I put my veged plants into the net pots. They spend 3 to 4 weeks in the dirt filled 6" pots than switch them to the uc. This is the 4 time I have done it this way.

IMGP4111

IMGP4114

IMGP4115

IMGP4117

IMGP4119

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Big Blue Monster Loaded

Got her loaded and running sweet! Going to be running CO2 so pump stays outside the room will move the other soon. So far so good. The other girls are showing roots after 9 days time to drop the water level and get them roots driving for the water below.

:cool0041:

IMGP4122

IMGP4123

IMGP4124

IMGP4127

IMGP4125

IMGP4129

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

How did the uniseals work on the round barrels? I couldnt get them to seal on my Brute build so I had to use bulkheads instead. Just curious if the 4" sealed up tight.
Love to see it in action.

No issues with the seals leaking. I also use 1" seals in holes drilled into the 4" for the pump take off. No leaks. I think soft plastic is not the best to use uniseals on things like rubber made tubs ect.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I think your next mural should be bonsai trees. Small, exquisite, happy... cool to stare at while burnin' your fav. strain.

Lookin' good, bro-

I've built several DIY RDWC w/ 5 gallon buckets. One is a 24 setup, and had to put 12 ladies in there checkerboard style cuz they were too crowded in just half of it- and that was after only two days.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

end of week 2

Well this is the end of week 2 and I think I got lock out because I tried force feeding them 780ppm instead of 500ppm. So changed it up a bit to 600ppm and hope to see a change in a day or so. Dame! Mental note to self, stick to what works!!

Ph 5.7
PPM 600
Res Temp 61
Room 83
Humidity 44%

Using DM Gold

IMGP4205

IMGP4206

IMGP4210

HydroRocks

HydroRocks

Nice system! We also had basically the same issue with root space. About 2 years ago we started with 10 gallon plant modules and literally had to pry the plant out of its container at the end of cycle. It took like 3 people to get the plant out!! LOL!!

Anyhow we switched to 18 gallon plant modules and so far have not had the issue again but still testing. We were striving for the biggest plant module needed for root space, but still wanted to stay as small as we could to keep water usage down as much as possible for system efficiency and all.

Ive noticed a few folks that use those 27 gallon size totes I think it is. I like the idea of the barrels your using but dont like the fact that they sit so tall and eat up the height space

Anyhow just rambling now....hehe!

Looking good bro! Hows the DM gold treating you?

Cheers!

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Nice system! We also had basically the same issue with root space. About 2 years ago we started with 10 gallon plant modules and literally had to pry the plant out of its container at the end of cycle. It took like 3 people to get the plant out!! LOL!!

Anyhow we switched to 18 gallon plant modules and so far have not had the issue again but still testing. We were striving for the biggest plant module needed for root space, but still wanted to stay as small as we could to keep water usage down as much as possible for system efficiency and all.

Ive noticed a few folks that use those 27 gallon size totes I think it is. I like the idea of the barrels your using but dont like the fact that they sit so tall and eat up the height space

Anyhow just rambling now....hehe!

Looking good bro! Hows the DM gold treating you?

Cheers!

Most use the totes as people are scared of using Uniseals on round surfaces. I found as long as it is sturdy no issues after a bit of messing around. I think they are too big and will likly cut them down by a foot, I have 9 foot celings so heigth is not an issue. I might use totes for my next DIY.

I love the DM Gold is gorks supper and is very very stable in the UC.

Thanks for stopping in.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Chiller Coils

Well got the two chillers I am going to be using. They are each 50 feet SS 3/8 with garden hose fittings. They are for chilling wort (beer) and I purchased they from New York Brewing supply, the cost was 70$ each and they shipped by US mail to Canada.

http://www.nybrewsupply.com/stainless-steel-wort-chiller-garden-hose-fittings-38-x-50.html

I had them in one week, real good service. If I were to do it again I would buy the 25 foot vs 50’ as this would do the same job but with a bigger pump. Stay tuned to see how they work. Will likely make the swap in mid Jan. when the girls are done, but you never know, if I get the bug could happen sooner. The reason I got them was I have a 1 hp chiller and it is only running 1 300gal system and it could do 2 more so will take the ½ hp chiller off the UC system and use the 2 coils with the 1 hp chiller to cool both Big Blue and the UC. I am going to use the ½ hp chiller in another room so it will not go to waste. I plan on hooking up an 8” hood cooler to cool the room this summer instead of the air conditioner. I am just buying the box not the fan as I have them. They have them with a fan

and without

Chillers are almost 50% more efficient than air conditioners, so with 1 or 2 of the chillers and my 8” fans should cool the room. So what I am going to do is the following, if you have any ideads let me know glad to have the help.

I will run a 45gal barrel as the chiller res. with a 2550gph pump driving the chiller. In that res I will add 2 mag drive 300 for the 2 fifty foot coils in the res of each system which will pump the chilled water to the coils at 61 degrees. When summer comes I just add another pump for the cooling. I will run ½ hose to feed each 3/8 chiller.

Couple notes
Do not use copper coils as the nutrients in the res will eat at them and release too much copper.
Do not clean Stainless Steel with Ammonia or cleaners like that as they will pit the SS. Use CLR or something like that.

:party0044::party0044::party0044:

IMGP4272

IMGP4274

IMGP4276

IMGP4278

IMGP4279

DowNwithDirT

DowNwithDirT

dude I don't care what you say that is the least efficient and productive way to start plants for the uc, or any diy....Yea it works...but why....

Your plants are lanky and scragly, and far to tall and stretched out by the time they are even going in.

just saw your other thread and they do recover but damn man. I guess whatever works

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

dude I don't care what you say that is the least efficient and productive way to start plants for the uc, or any diy....Yea it works...but why....

Your plants are lanky and scragly, and far to tall and stretched out by the time they are even going in.

just saw your other thread and they do recover but damn man. I guess whatever works

These plants were all moms and I don't like tossing them out, I had for a year. I cut the clones off before flowering them so yup they look skinny and all. as for height I have 9 foot ceilings and besides I only want 3 to 4 feet of buds as thats what a 1000w is good for 4 feet. Thanks for dropping by, I'll post some new pixs

ttystikk

ttystikk

For what it's worth, I like your system a lot. I was also leery of using uniseals, so I went with 1" bulkheads from n-g-w and 1" hose for all my connections. Works tits. I'm in no danger of filling my 5 gallon buckets up with roots, and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

HydroRocks

HydroRocks

Nice! I like the chilling idea you have planned.

Its good to hear that you like the DM gold. We used them at first but when we started testing different nutrients we sorta got hooked on Dynagro bloom formula and also we tried Heavy 16 which we are still using also.

If you ever get the chance and have not tried them already, give them a shot.

Cheers!

Top Bottom