Need Some Advice On Solving My Potassium Deficiencyaroun

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I’m not suggesting you change it. I was just curious if you check your ph after you mix your nutes not before. If you adjust your ph before mixing your nutes then your nutes won’t properly be at the specific ph level you want.

I check my soil from time to time but I usually don't don't fret over it. I run my outdoor higher than recommended at 7-7.2 and they do great. My theory is that the girls in soil can pretty much safely run from the upper 5's to lower 7's with little consequence to nutrient uptake. Before anyone gets upset over that, it's just my opinion, doesn't mean it's right, and I don't use it when I suggest anything to other people. But it's how I operate. My reason, I'm already OCD and I dont need yet another thing to stress over. pH has never been a problem for me before and no pro grower I know here in the world checks it unless they're having problems.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I’ve never seen a purpose to test soil ph. I’ve always felt that ph-ing nutes before feeding was good enough.

And ya know I grew for many years and never gave it a second thought. I moved and started back up doing exactly the same things I had before and holy shit I had major issues. Way different tap water, different elevation, air quality, humidity, etc.

I learned that I couldn’t keep doing things the same way (I was used to) and expect to get the results I was getting before. So I had to start diagnosing each element until I could pinpoint the problem. The difference in ph in my well water was a good 1.5-2 points in the opposite direction. That factor alone made a huge difference.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
A good soil will fix a lot of problems and backing off ferts does wonders as well. I really didn’t give it a thought nor do I until I start seeing deficiencies and then it’s usually the first thing I check. Most of the time it’s been something else but it’s still a good starting point. If you are in the right range you can cross it off your list right away. And that imo helps me get to the root of the problem a little quicker.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
And ya know I grew for many years and never gave it a second thought. I moved and started back up doing exactly the same things I had before and holy shit I had major issues. Way different tap water, different elevation, air quality, humidity, etc.

I learned that I couldn’t keep doing things the same way (I was used to) and expect to get the results I was getting before. So I had to start diagnosing each element until I could pinpoint the problem. The difference in ph in my well water was a good 1.5-2 points in the opposite direction. That factor alone made a huge difference.
I moved from city life a year and 3 months ago. I’m very pleased with the well water out hear. I run it through a RO filter. My city water was at 8.1-8.5 depending on time of year. Out here it’s a constant 7.0.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I tell ya what. A good soil ph pen is a nice tool to have. Makes the task effortless.

Adjusting to new lights, new grow space and all sorts of other variables takes time to dial in but knowing exactly where you stand on one things certainly helps.

I’m like you smithjun
I moved from city life a year and 3 months ago. I’m very pleased with the well water out hear. I run it through a RO filter. My city water was at 8.1-8.5 depending on time of year. Out here it’s a constant 7.0.

I don’t doubt it. Any change can make a huge difference. But luckily your change was for the better :-)

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I love mine!!
90CF0CC0 1471 40A1 96EA 1442EA71FC78

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter

I'm also not caring about optimal just functional. These girls are for seed, so I don't care how big the blooms are or how thick they are with crystals. I'm only trying to get decent little supply of seeds.

I’m no expert but I am pretty sure optimal function in the seed room is what you want if you want strong viable seeds.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I tell ya what. A good soil ph pen is a nice tool to have. Makes the task effortless.

Adjusting to new lights, new grow space and all sorts of other variables takes time to dial in but knowing exactly where you stand on one things certainly helps.

I’m like you smithjun

I don’t doubt it. Any change can make a huge difference. But luckily your change was for the better :)

I'll look into that. It's a hassle doing the chemical tests. If there's something that easy, and accurate, I'd use it.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Been 14yrs for me. I kinda miss it now. I had a huge group of friends from all walks of life and I used to sleep like a baby with all the ambient noise. The sound would drown out my tinnitus. It's soooo quiet here at night except tree frog and cricket season, and that sh*t is so loud it gives me a headache. It was so bad last summer I started shooting at crickets.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I started with Krazy Kelp 1-0-17. Got it for $8 cause I'm always smokin out and giving weed to the Hydro shop guys. If in a few days they don't perk, I'll do the Epsom salt.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
I started with Krazy Kelp 1-0-17. Got it for $8 cause I'm always smokin out and giving weed to the Hydro shop guys. If in a few days they don't perk, I'll do the Epsom salt.
Gotta keep those temps higher tho bro.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Gotta keep those temps higher tho bro.

No you misunderstood, the temps outside are in the 40'sF. Not necessarily in the tent. They get minimal airflow in the last 30min of the light cycle to allow heat to build up for the night. I also have a heat pad under the two Banana Ice cream.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
No you misunderstood, the temps outside are in the 40'sF. Not necessarily in the tent. They get minimal airflow in the last 30min of the light cycle to allow heat to build up for the night. I also have a heat pad under the two Banana Ice cream.
No you misled :)
What are temps inside the tent?

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

No you misled :)
What are temps inside the tent?

I did not mislead, that signifies intent. I went back and read it and I can see how it does look like I could mean in the tent as well. Honestly, I don't know. The battery is dead in my hygrometer but my guess is close about 5-10deg warmer, cooling more near morning.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I did not mislead, that signifies intent. I went back and read it and I can see how it does look like I could mean in the tent as well. Honestly, I don't know. The battery is dead in my hygrometer but my guess is close about 5-10deg warmer, cooling more near morning.
Still man 50. Its still pretty low. I know you’re not trying to harvest buds from these but the overall health will affect the seed quality too.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Still man 50. Its still pretty low. I know you’re not trying to harvest buds from these but the overall health will affect the seed quality too.

I know, I know. But I don't have a choice. I guess I could try to light dep a space in my room with cardboard but I have some severe mold allergies and have to be extremely careful about uncontrolled moisture. I was going to buy two little tents for my room but I had too many pressing bills and I never stall off bills now that I'm older and wiser.

I'm hoping to get the little tents next month, fingers crossed and praying. I had to buy my bubble bags and replace my rosin press's bottle jack first, cause that's $$$ in the bank. I needed those first cause I'm husltlin hard this year with no help and I need concentrates ready. I still haven't finished the last 1.5lbs of hand trimming but I did figure out a system to get the bowl trimmer to get them right... about... <there>. Got em tight without butchering the trichs and saved myself a week's work.

I'll be able to make the tents happen but I've wrung the turnip 10x already this month and I'm sick of eating home made soups (I'm a f^ckin awesome cook, but still. Hehe).
20181118 154757

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I know, I know. But I don't have a choice. I guess I could try to light dep a space in my room with cardboard but I have some severe mold allergies and have to be extremely careful about uncontrolled moisture. I was going to buy two little tents for my room but I had too many pressing bills and I never stall off bills now that I'm older and wiser.

I'm hoping to get the little tents next month, fingers crossed and praying. I had to buy my bubble bags and replace my rosin press's bottle jack first, cause that's $$$ in the bank. I needed those first cause I'm husltlin hard this year with no help and I need concentrates ready. I still haven't finished the last 1.5lbs of hand trimming but I did figure out a system to get the bowl trimmer to get them right... about... <there>. Got em tight without butchering the trichs and saved myself a week's work.

I'll be able to make the tents happen but I've wrung the turnip 10x already this month and I'm sick of eating home made soups (I'm a f^ckin awesome cook, but still. Hehe).
View attachment 842176
Made me think of this :)
Its hard to grow healthy plants with those temps, if you just want to ride it out then i wouldn’t worry about their deficiencies that much. Their metabolism won’t be fucntioning properly anyway. Man i hope those seeds turn out ok.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Two hours ago, if that, I fed them Krazy Kelp 1-0-17 (as label directed) and they are already starting to perk up. Yay! I'll feed them the kelp with HB&B 5-50-17 (actually half strength at 2.5-25-8.5) for the next few weeks then switch back over to Kool Bloom 2-45-28 half strength or split it with the HB&B both at a quarter to finish out. They were giving me the right stuff if mixed with Krazy Kelp, so why mess with a good thing.
20181120 131418
20181120 131648

Reactions: Ina
Top Bottom