Need Tips Or Suggestions W/ My Inline Fan And Carbon Filter Setup For My 4x4

• Thread starter VuongCuhz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

VuongCuhz

So currently, I was thinking of running an iPower 6" inline fan with the 4" carbon filter and turn the speed down to medium as I heard it reduces the noise quite a bit. As I would have just went with a 4" combo setup overall but I don't think turning down the speed on a 4" to reduce the noise in a 4x4 is ideal. It is my first grow and setup, so I didn't think of the 2" difference on the ducting. I couldn't find any answers on here, nor google giving good information. So my question is:
1. Would it be smarter and ideal to just run a 6" fan with a 6" filter, or should I just add a 6" to 4" ducting reducer?
2. Which would be more effective in the long run?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I used to run a 6” carbon filter with a 4” inline fan. It’s better to be safe than sorry.

V

VuongCuhz

I used to run a 6” carbon filter with a 4” inline fan. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
How did that work out for you? As I was planning to run vice versa, 6" inline fan with a 4" carbon filter.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Worked great. Never had any odor issues. I vented into my basement and there was never the slightest hint of odor.

V

VuongCuhz

Worked great. Never had any odor issues. I vented into my basement and there was never the slightest hint of odor.
Yeah, I guess I'm leaning towards of just doing 6" combo overall. Like you said, better safe than sorry. Thanks for the info

V

VuongCuhz

But would you see any problems with running the 6" fan with a 4" filter?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I’m sure it would work. The problem would be if you pushed too much air through it. Then it wouldn’t be effective for odor control.

Last edited:
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Also I don’t know that a 6” inline fan running 1/2 speed would be any quieter than a 4” running full speed. You’re still moving a certain volume of air per minute which is where most of the noise is coming from.

Monster762

Monster762

How did that work out for you? As I was planning to run vice versa, 6" inline fan with a 4" carbon filter.
This would limit flow and stress the fan motor duct should be as large as fan. That filter period will also cut airflow n stress fan. Best thing to do is skip the cheapos and get a vortex or similar. Any of the $20-40 models are weak. I learned the hard way with 100 degree tent. And smell still. You got to beat the brakes off the cheap filters too or no air moves through them at all.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

This would limit flow and stress the fan motor duct should be as large as fan. That filter period will also cut airflow n stress fan. Best thing to do is skip the cheapos and get a vortex or similar. Any of the $20-40 models are weak. I learned the hard way with 100 degree tent. And smell still. You got to beat the brakes off the cheap filters too or no air moves through them at all.
Go with hydrofarm, I kept returning the cheapos until I beomw down and got the goos shit. Mine ru, 24/7 no problems.
I wish I went with a 6" sometimes when its midflower for the whole crew.

Monster762

Monster762

Go with hydrofarm, I kept returning the cheapos until I beomw down and got the goos shit. Mine ru, 24/7 no problems.
I wish I went with a 6" sometimes when its midflower for the whole crew.
Hydrofarm still an amazon special. But if you look at the fans it will not look like a piece of duct with a blade in it. It will be a funnier shaped unit with higher cfms those fans rated 240 cfm ain’t for chit once you plug a filter up. Cuts that cfm in half.

Monster762

Monster762

Hydrofarm still an amazon special. But if you look at the fans it will not look like a piece of duct with a blade in it. It will be a funnier shaped unit with higher cfms those fans rated 240 cfm ain’t for chit once you plug a filter up. Cuts that cfm in half.
Here’s a first page list of decent ones. Hydrofarm does make a better model. I’ve only seen the duct type. Search vortex fan in amazon tobget the higher cfm models
E86C97D1 EE6B 43E1 9D15 42F7C3B3A460

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

All I know is hydrofarm is a better product. Doby get me wrong, I'm on a budget. Shiiiiitttt I got a whole setup for 150$ from iPower. 1000w hps/mh with a timer. Just saying that the cheaper models say 240 cfm. Dont believe them. I kept returning the shit til I solved my air exchange issue

DismalDude

DismalDude

Yep,6in. fan needs a 6in. filter along with 6in. ducting.As far as scrubbers I prefer Phresh filters.Expensive but they last a year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom