New 2 Hydro Questions & General Chatting About Hydroponics

• Thread starter Mr.D0p3sauce
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

May I interject here. I'm not sure I agree that rez doesnt need a chiller in ebb n flo unless of course your rez is setup in the groom. Keep in mind that eventually no matter where you start with your rez temps if its in the groom it will reach whatever the room ambient temps are. So if your room gets to 85 your rez will soon be around that temp as well. Most hydro dudes run from 68-70 deg F I do know some that dont run a chiller in hydro and have no issues tho. The school of thought with lower rez temps is cooler water can hold on to more DO (dissolved O2) than warmer water .........When I choose hydro for my grow style I chill my rez. In my opinion one can never have to much DO to the rootzone. Hope this helps some.

But as with all growing we all have styles,skillz and opinions on how best to grow and really at the end of the day its all about what you find works best for you and your application and genetics. peace
I agree with yah here. I have my res in the same room. Room temps dont exceed 80-81. But my canopy (top of plants height gets to 82-84f) the res on the other hand is always in 69-72f... Should I still be worried?.... and what should I do about the fungus gnats ? Maybe I will pick up a res chiller... can you recomend a good 1 for 4 100 gal res?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks glad someone enjoys my work... The strains in those pix are a Landrace Afghani, Maui Wowie, DopeSauce = [Starfighter X BigBud], Conspiracy pie aka ConPie = [Conspiracy Kush X Cherry Pie]

The Dopesauce and ConPie are strains I made I myself.
who's and what version of starfighter did you use in the cross?

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

Im not really sure, I got it as a clone. It had a sharp lemony pungent fuel dank smell to it. The buds were large but fluffy. Very frosty. But takes 9 weeks to finish.

Last edited:
Bigjuice

Bigjuice

Hello everyone, so I'm kinda new here on the forums. Hope I'm posting in the right section...

Anyways this is my first attempt at a flood and drain setup in rockwool. I've been doing everything from what I can find online thru this forum but not sure what I'm doing wrong here. So I soaked my 6" Hugo blocks in 5.5 ph water for about 15mins. Then I transplanted my clones from jiffy pellets to the rockwool. Ever since the transplant. They haven't really been growing. Instead they look like they are turning more yellow. Can any1 tell me what I'm doing wrong.

This is my current specs of my lay out.
The ph is 5.5, the ppm is about 550ppm or 1.1 ec, The res temp is about 74f, the temp of the canopy is 79-81f, with RH at about 65-70, the room has co2 at 1100-1500 ppm thru out the day.... Everything sounds like it's suppose to be where optimal conditions are at but. I'm getting yellowing and no vigor in growth. If this was done in soil with those specs usually my clones would be taking off by now. I'm thinking maybe make new clones n try coco coir?View attachment 738241 View attachment 738242 View attachment 738243 View attachment 738244 View attachment 738245 View attachment 738249
View attachment 738240
over watering is your problem let the block almost dry out before you water them

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

Thanks bro, I sorted it out tho. I just posted and update. Check out page 3 at the end. I'm having fungus gnats issues now and don't know what to do...
over watering is your problem let the block almost dry out before you water them

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I agree with yah here. I have my res in the same room. Room temps dont exceed 80-81. But my canopy (top of plants height gets to 82-84f) the res on the other hand is always in 69-72f... Should I still be worried?.... and what should I do about the fungus gnats ? Maybe I will pick up a res chiller... can you recomend a good 1 for 4 100 gal res?
A chiller for that quantity of water is going to set you back more than a few bucks. I would contact a mfgr and let them know the volume your wanting to chill and they can recommend the model with the horsepower to get the job done. A good reef tank shop should be able to steer you in the right direction

you should be fine with your rez temps in that range. You are running good aeration in the rez correct? Some folks like those mosquito dunks for fungus gnats. They can be a PITA in hydro cause they love moist warm places.

In closing if you want to save thousands and not chill your rez just keep an eye on the temps and if you cannot maintain 69-71 d then you might consider chilling.

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

A chiller for that quantity of water is going to set you back more than a few bucks. I would contact a mfgr and let them know the volume your wanting to chill and they can recommend the model with the horsepower to get the job done. A good reef tank shop should be able to steer you in the right direction

you should be fine with your rez temps in that range. You are running good aeration in the rez correct? Some folks like those mosquito dunks for fungus gnats. They can be a PITA in hydro cause they love moist warm places.

In closing if you want to save thousands and not chill your rez just keep an eye on the temps and if you cannot maintain 69-71 d then you might consider chilling.
Temps are all good here. Thanks for advice tho. I have air pumps and im Running some hydro guard.

My main issue now is these fungus gnats ... I don't know what to do and they are multiplying fast.

The plants look nice and healthy. All the trays look lush and green and full canopy. Only problem is out of 8 trays. 1 of them has some darker roots wich I think is pythium or fungus gnats larvae damage. There wasnt this many fungus gnats last week. There population just grew so fast. What can I do to wipe em out?

Last edited:
RHINObeast

RHINObeast

Temps are all good here. Thanks for advice tho. I have air pumps and im Running some hydro guard.

My main issue now is these fungus gnats ... I don't know what to do and they are multiplying fast.

The plants look nice and healthy. All the trays look lush and green and full canopy. Only problem is out of 8 trays. 1 of them has some darker roots wich I think is pythium or fungus gnats larvae damage. There wasnt this many fungus gnats last week. There population just grew so fast. What can I do to wipe em out?
Azamax works great, 30 ml per gallon is what I did, then poured it into a spray bottle, it will legit kill every damn thing in your garden from
My experience. It didn't harm my plants but when you use it so it 15 mins before lights out. Every three days I spray either azamax, green cleaner or sns 217 at low doseage as routine maintenance. I sprayed azamax on a heavy heavy infestation from a plant that was given to me in which I quarantined, and it destroyed all those bugs. It's in bloom now, no more spotted leaves woohooo!

RHINObeast

RHINObeast

Should i wait to finish my second week with all the beenys? Then add h202 to sterilize the roots? And add azamax to slow down their growth (fungus gnats) ? It's all rockwool 6 inch cubes sitting bare on the trays with roots exploding out the bottom of the blocks.... or should i start treating it now. And forget about all the voodoo juice, pirahna, and turantula this week in the res?

All the trays look good and healthy white roots exploding out the bottom of the 6 inch Hugo rockwool cubes on the bare tray. Except for 1 tray. Roots there start looking dark. I'm thinking pythium or fungus gnats larvae doing damage. Should I use azamax and h202 right now? If so... how much should I add per gallon ?
You could just dip the cubes right into a low dose azamax solution too, or they have at Home Depot it's called organicide and you can use that as a dunk as well.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Jusr feed them ogbiowar root and foiliar pack and put yrllow stcky traps around the plants.. It will wipe them oyt in a week..

Dont use azamax in flower.
I deal with fungas gnats yearly..
No big deal..

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

Jusr feed them ogbiowar root and foiliar pack and put yrllow stcky traps around the plants.. It will wipe them oyt in a week..

Dont use azamax in flower.
I deal with fungas gnats yearly..
No big deal..

Where do I get this stuff from? Hydro stores? And how do I use it? Just mix in res the ogbiowar? What about the foilar? Spray everything while lights off? How much do I mix? Oh and how much should i order? I have 8 trays and 4 100gal res..... do i reapply later or is it a 1 application thing? Thanks guys

Last edited:
Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

So I ordered the nute, root, and foilar pack.

I went to check my room today and this is what I run into
20171017 194329
20171017 194324
20171017 194338

This happened only to 1 plant out of 16 plants on this tray.. All the other 7 trays seem ok. Nothing wilting.

I think it might be pythium or the fungus gnats ducking my shit up..... smfh....

Well I ordered the 3 packs to make a tea brew. Is it still ok to leave the so how plant there? Will he come back? Or should I rip him out b4 it spreads to the rest of the tray?

The nute, root, and foilar packs don't get here till this up coming Monday. Will it be too late by then to save this guy? What should I do? All the other trays look fine. Temps of res are always between 69-72max. There is also a large airstone on 24hrs a day....

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

Im only on day 2 of week2 in flower. So day 9 in flower.. It's only 1 plant out if the whole room. She just wilted up out of nowhere. She looked fine yesterday?...... should I toss it out or ride it out for a week. And wait till the ogbiowar stuff gets here.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

So I ordered the nute, root, and foilar pack.

I went to check my room today and this is what I run intoView attachment 750953 View attachment 750955 View attachment 750956

This happened only to 1 plant out of 16 plants on this tray.. All the other 7 trays seem ok. Nothing wilting.

I think it might be pythium or the fungus gnats ducking my shit up..... smfh....

Well I ordered the 3 packs to make a tea brew. Is it still ok to leave the so how plant there? Will he come back? Or should I rip him out b4 it spreads to the rest of the tray?

The nute, root, and foilar packs don't get here till this up coming Monday. Will it be too late by then to save this guy? What should I do? All the other trays look fine. Temps of res are always between 69-72max. There is also a large airstone on 24hrs a day....
Pull it out thw table and make her a lil spot off in side lighting so she isnt bombarded by light and hand feed for q few days till we can find out what happened. She does look under watered! Check pumps timers and run your watering system while your in there so u can verify that everything is filling AND draining properly...

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

No chance that could be underwatered?

Pull it out thw table and make her a lil spot off in side lighting so she isnt bombarded by light and hand feed for q few days till we can find out what happened. She does look under watered! Check pumps timers and run your watering system while your in there so u can verify that everything is filling AND draining properly...

Yeah I don't think it's under watered..... the whole tray floods up about 3-4 inches. If you look in the picture you can kinda see that the tray is moist....
But yeah ok I will pull her out and place on the side some where.

Top Bottom