New 2 Hydro Questions & General Chatting About Hydroponics

• Thread starter Mr.D0p3sauce
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

So I pulled the 1 out. And tucked the surrounding ones around it inward to fill up the net. I cracked her open and .... Yeah just what I thought.. bad roots. Brown soft and smelly. Weird smell...
20171018 205232
20171018 205243
20171018 205324
20171018 205516

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

So I brewed caps tea. Minus the earth worms castings. I couldn't find them and didn't wanna wait so I just brewed what I had on hand. Maybe next week i will for sure brew with it.
20171022 024212
I brewed 4gallon of water, 4 tablespoons of foilar pack, 4 tablespoons of the root pack, 100ml of molasses in a 5 gallon bucket with an air stone running over night
20171022 031631
10 mins of brewing
20171022 203331
after 16hrs of brewing.

So the original tea recipe is basically 4 gallon water, 100ml molasses, 4 tablespoons of each pack and a some earth worm castings.... I have everything but the ewc... will it still work?..... also the original recipe said to dilute the tea mixture at 1-2 cups per 5 gallon.
I did it at 1.5 cups or 12oz per 5 gal.
I mixed 40 gallons at a time in a large garbage can with plain water and 12 cups or roughly 96oz. Does this seem right? And is it ok with out the ewc?

Last edited:
Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

@EventHorizan I'm emptying 4x 100gal tanks and instead of doing a weekly tank change. I'm just gonna run the tea. I'm also hand feeding so its feed from the top till run off... then i will mix enought to fill up 4x 100gal res. It gonna flood and drain 4 times a day for 1-2 days first.

My question here is how long do I run the tea in my res b4 I dump it and go back to my regular feed program on a flood and drain system?
So since I tested it and It seems really low in ppm. Its under 100ppm..... could I just add in my nutes for the week with the 100gal tea after running the tea alone for like 1-2 days?basically run the tea for 1-2 days it's under 100ppm.... then mix in my nutes for the week and continue with no res dump and mix nutes with the tea.... Is this a bad idea?

Or should I just top feed by hand till run off, fill 100gal with tea, run for 1-2 days, dump everything, and return to my regular schedule.....
20171022 032330
20171022 032324
20171022 032317

You can see the roots are starting to look dark and have a strange smell. So I figured I start the tea even if I don't have the EWC yet. I'l just make sure to run it for sure next week with the earth worm castings.

Last edited:
Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

It's starting to make me nervous seeing all this dark roots, I'm now day1 of week 3.
So I guess I'm like day 15 of flower.... Hope this Browning of roots stops soon and starts turning white...

On another happy note. Here is a pic of something I have almost ready to cut. It's got 1-2 weeks left before I cut it down. It's called ConPie. Aka Conspiracy Pie.
20171022 201950
20171022 202035

Smerb

Smerb

@EventHorizan I'm emptying 4x 100gal tanks and instead of doing a weekly tank change. I'm just gonna run the tea. I'm also hand feeding so its feed from the top till run off... then i will mix enought to fill up 4x 100gal res. It gonna flood and drain 4 times a day for 1-2 days first.

My question here is how long do I run the tea in my res b4 I dump it and go back to my regular feed program on a flood and drain system?
So since I tested it and It seems really low in ppm. Its under 100ppm..... could I just add in my nutes for the week with the 100gal tea after running the tea alone for like 1-2 days?basically run the tea for 1-2 days it's under 100ppm.... then mix in my nutes for the week and continue with no res dump and mix nutes with the tea.... Is this a bad idea?

Or should I just top feed by hand till run off, fill 100gal with tea, run for 1-2 days, dump everything, and return to my regular schedule.....
View attachment 752219 View attachment 752222 View attachment 752223
You can see the roots are starting to look dark and have a strange smell. So I figured I start the tea even if I don't have the EWC yet. I'l just make sure to run it for sure next week with the earth worm castings.
I know I'm just jumping in here but, where are your slabs of Grodan that go under them cubes? Roots exposed to light will just cause problems. I hope you can getr done. nice buds!

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

All good bro, jump in anytime. Thanks that nug is from another room that is still in soil. I'm converting to hydro. Still learning here . ... do you think getting slabs Wil help with the Browning roots?

Smerb

Smerb

All good bro, jump in anytime. Thanks that nug is from another room that is still in soil. I'm converting to hydro. Still learning here . ... do you think getting slabs Wil help with the Browning roots?
The roots probably would have never went brown. They would of kept growing fine. I'm not there so I cant see you water or how you get things done. For sure those slabs help prevent that need for more root room.

Bigjuice

Bigjuice

i think you should run a screen over the top tray looks like the light is beamng on them thats nit good ive grow with rockwool for 15 years anytime the roots are exposed the turn that colour. but there are other things that cause brown root over watering the main one and tank/pipes diseases/ cleanliness

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

Thanks bro. I will keep these in mind. Is there anything i can do now to save them? From getting worse or more brown..... also do you know what I can do to get rid of fungus gnats? I think my problem started with these little bastards. In soil I don't have a problem. I just add sand and DE and yellow traps. In hydro I don't know what to do....

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

I know I'm just jumping in here but, where are your slabs of Grodan that go under them cubes? Roots exposed to light will just cause problems. I hope you can getr done. nice buds!

So I have some fungus gnats flying around... could I just run some pandafilm over the trays and leave little slits where the main stem comes up? Would this help with the roots in the future coming back and staying white? What bout the fungus gnats... Is that a good or bad idea?

i think you should run a screen over the top tray looks like the light is beamng on them thats nit good ive grow with rockwool for 15 years anytime the roots are exposed the turn that colour. but there are other things that cause brown root over watering the main one and tank/pipes diseases/ cleanliness

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

The retarded thing was.... dam last week these roots were looking real nice... then all sudden outa no where this happened.... It's just in 1 tray too... all the other trays seem fine.

Bigjuice

Bigjuice

if youve got root rot then it is almost impossible to get rid of completely.tea brew being the best solution ,h202,pyth tabz what do your plants look like any droopy leaves any yellowing have they slowed down in growth how heavy are the blocks and ive never had gnats so cant help with them

if your plants are looking ok with no speed decrease then the blowning could just be something in the food dying the roots

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

if youve got root rot then it is almost impossible to get rid of completely.tea brew being the best solution ,h202,pyth tabz what do your plants look like any droopy leaves any yellowing how heavy are the blocks and ive never had gnats so cant help with them

20171022 235158
20171022 235205
20171022 235225

These are how the 1 bad tray look like. Top and below canopy.over all I don't think they look that bad... Just worried cuz out of nowhere 1 random plant just died in this tray.
20171022 235250
The rest of the room seems ok. Looks lush and happy

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

So I brewed caps tea. Minus the earth worms castings. I couldn't find them and didn't wanna wait so I just brewed what I had on hand. Maybe next week i will for sure brew with it.View attachment 752215 I brewed 4gallon of water, 4 tablespoons of foilar pack, 4 tablespoons of the root pack, 100ml of molasses in a 5 gallon bucket with an air stone running over nightView attachment 752216 10 mins of brewingView attachment 752217 after 16hrs of brewing.

So the original tea recipe is basically 4 gallon water, 100ml molasses, 4 tablespoons of each pack and a some earth worm castings.... I have everything but the ewc... will it still work?..... also the original recipe said to dilute the tea mixture at 1-2 cups per 5 gallon.
I did it at 1.5 cups or 12oz per 5 gal.
I mixed 40 gallons at a time in a large garbage can with plain water and 12 cups or roughly 96oz. Does this seem right? And is it ok with out the ewc?
yes it will work with out the earth worm casting..
The molasses is what feeds the microbes.. the earth worm castings is just more microbes but your ogbiowar has everything you need... And that looks great.
When using the foliar pack for pest control, i pour 1 cup straight tea over the block, and then dilute the rest in the res. I used 50 ml per gal.. not for sure what 50 ml is to a cup with out googling, and im at work.. I check back tonight..

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

Thanks every1, how long do you recommend I run the tea for ? Do I run it alone for a couple days.... or can I add in my stuff for the week3? Grow,micro,bloom, and all the additives

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Thanks every1, how long do you recommend I run the tea for ? Do I run it alone for a couple days.... or can I add in my stuff for the week3? Grow,micro,bloom, and all the additives
Well i always top hand feed mine in pots of coco..
In your situation i would add it the day after you make a new res...

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

So I hand watered the tea last night. And made 4x 40gals worth in 4 res.

Should i make another 4 x60gals of tea to top all my 100gal res worth of tea?

Then just add in my nutes and addidtives for week3? My week 3 chems on top of the tea? I'm on day 15day of flower. What ppms should I be at... I been at 700ppm in week2 on .5 scale what could I safely bump it up too. 800? 850?

Latest posts

Top Bottom