New England Outdoor Soil ?'s

• Thread starter MAINE ODGB
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MAINE ODGB

Hello All!
I live in Maine. Trying to figure some stuff out last minute. Any advice appreciated. Trying to keep in mind amount of Labor, and cost. I can't dig 8 more huge holes; Back or Ground. I think I've read too much and know too little. Even after 7-8 years.

I want to make a batch of Super Soil, but dont have time to let it bake. I'm thinking because of Cost, I make a Slightly diluted batch, then supplement via watering. But I'm thinking I can transplant them in to holes, but there still needs to be a barrier between seedlings and super soil? Like promix and worm Castings?
Maybe just go lighter on guano and Worm castings?
Also! Best surface to set smart pots on? Sand. Gravel. Sawdust. Moss. Loam.pallet?
My ground is Mossy, with sink holes full of water. Dangerous footing. Idk how to tap into that water table. Hollow ground near a shoreline of a Lake. They make a Giant tampon to absorb water and sticks in to bottom of bag?
Thank you all in advance

CannaNovice

CannaNovice

Hello All!
I live in Maine. Trying to figure some stuff out last minute. Any advice appreciated. Trying to keep in mind amount of Labor, and cost. I can't dig 8 more huge holes; Back or Ground. I think I've read too much and know too little. Even after 7-8 years.

I want to make a batch of Super Soil, but dont have time to let it bake. I'm thinking because of Cost, I make a Slightly diluted batch, then supplement via watering. But I'm thinking I can transplant them in to holes, but there still needs to be a barrier between seedlings and super soil? Like promix and worm Castings?
Maybe just go lighter on guano and Worm castings?
Also! Best surface to set smart pots on? Sand. Gravel. Sawdust. Moss. Loam.pallet?
My ground is Mossy, with sink holes full of water. Dangerous footing. Idk how to tap into that water table. Hollow ground near a shoreline of a Lake. They make a Giant tampon to absorb water and sticks in to bottom of bag?
Thank you all in advance
I found Miricle gro "natures care" soil at big box hareware store for $6 bucks a bag. Super cheap starter soil. It has a lot of the super soil amendments already added. no need to bake. I dont use anything else besides this and I top feed when I water with 1/2 teapsoon per gal of Protekt and 1-2 teaspoons of MaxiBloom. Thats it. Seems to be working fine and it was the cheapest way to get started fast while still giving the ladies what they want. Note the bag says "natural" and organic. So if your looking for 100% organic IDK.

You could then add whatever amendments you wanted to the base soil like guano kelp along with any microbes based products. However even 24 hours of sun sitting could be benificial if your using any microb based nutrients. Im sure you could find 1 more day, Not sure how far North you are but you should be fine. Whatever soil you decide you are most likey going to want to add an additional 20-35% more perlite to it for even better drainage. This protects against over watering. Ie heavy rainfall.

As far as the water table ect no idea about that. You could use pumps and hoses all the way to lake, or just hand water with buckets. Collect rainwater in trash cans ect. Or just use a garden house and city/well water. If your city uses chlorine or chloramines its best to let the water sit in the sun for 2- 24 hours anyway to let the chlorine evaporate. chloramines is a little tougher I believe you have to suplerchlorinate the water with pool shock or bleach first to break the bond with amonia before sitting inn sun for 12-24 hours

Just put the smart pots on the ground. Any excess watering will just feed the grass. If your that concerned about drainage I guess gravel, but waste of money IMO.

CannaNovice

CannaNovice

I found Miricle gro "natures care" soil at big box hareware store for $6 bucks a bag. Super cheap starter soil. It has a lot of the super soil amendments already added. no need to bake. I dont use anything else besides this and I top feed when I water with 1/2 teapsoon per gal of Protekt and 1-2 teaspoons of MaxiBloom. Thats it. Seems to be working fine and it was the cheapest way to get started fast while still giving the ladies what they want. Note the bag says "natural" and organic. So if your looking for 100% organic IDK.

You could then add whatever amendments you wanted to the base soil like guano kelp along with any microbes based products. However even 24 hours of sun sitting could be benificial if your using any microb based nutrients. Im sure you could find 1 more day, Not sure how far North you are but you should be fine. Whatever soil you decide you are most likey going to want to add an additional 20-35% more perlite to it for even better drainage. This protects against over watering. Ie heavy rainfall.

As far as the water table ect no idea about that. You could use pumps and hoses all the way to lake, or just hand water with buckets. Collect rainwater in trash cans ect. Or just use a garden house and city/well water. If your city uses chlorine or chloramines its best to let the water sit in the sun for 2- 24 hours anyway to let the chlorine evaporate. chloramines is a little tougher I believe you have to suplerchlorinate the water with pool shock or bleach first to break the bond with amonia before sitting inn sun for 12-24 hours

Just put the smart pots on the ground. Any excess watering will just feed the grass. If your that concerned about drainage I guess gravel, but waste of money IMO.
OH yeah, and dont forget PH and PPM meter/test kit. Very important you test the soil after you make your mix and the water everytime, (after you add nutrients to it).

broncoholic

broncoholic

Campbells True Values in Maine, sells Super Soil in a 3 cubic foot bag...it is runs about $75. I make my own but I used a bag of theirs to tye me over until mine was done. ;)

Top Bottom