New Grower Needs Advice

• Thread starter Ganjee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
I perused the answers here but I didn't see if anyone said to try up-planting to bigger pots with good soil. Maybe? Do that and you should be able to cut out the nutes completely until they're well into the flower cycle.
Actually i was thinking the same but they are still very little, i usually up pot once the leaves grow out the pots edges a bit, they look little. If the ph of the soil is problematic, it should be corrected before up potting. If you get some ocean forest as @grbattle420 suggested (or i had good success with biobizz) you can up pot and everything will sort itself out i am sure, still dont overwater.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Actually i was thinking the same but they are still very little, i usually up pot once the leaves grow out the pots edges a bit, they look little. If the ph of the soil is problematic, it should be corrected before up potting. If you get some ocean forest as @grbattle420 suggested (or i had good success with biobizz) you can up pot and everything will sort itself out i am sure, still dont overwater.

The reason why I thought up-pot is if he's running in an incomplete soil mix it's going to be very difficult to fix this problem. If he up-pots into a complete soil, the girls will reach right out into the new stuff, no extra nutes required. You can transplant anytime. What you're talking about is preference. Which is fine, but in this situation I see no drawbacks to up-plantung. He could use the money he would have spent on nutes to buy smartpots. It'll also buy him immediate time to try and get his ducks in a row instead of struggling under pressure to find a solution.

I would like to say that I don't think either of our solutions is wrong and I only got my idea after reading yours. Hopefully both contribute to the benefit of our fellow grower.

P.S. I'm waaay baked from Orange Creamsicle and Banana Crack kief hits in the 18" and it's totally cerebral. Makes brainstorming fun.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
The reason why I thought up-pot is if he's running in an incomplete soil mix it's going to be very difficult to fix this problem. If he up-pots into a complete soil, the girls will reach right out into the new stuff, no extra nutes required. You can transplant anytime. What you're talking about is preference. Which is fine, but in yhis situation i see no drawbacks to uo-plantung. He could use the money he would have spent on nutes to buy smartpots. It'll also buy him immediate time to try and get his ducks in a row instead of struggling under pressure to find a solution.

I would like to say that I don't think either of our solutions is wrong and I only got my idea after reading yours. Hopefully both contribute to the benefit of our fellow grower.

P.S. I'm waaay baked from Orange Creamsicle and Banana Crack kief hits in the 18" and it's totally cerebral. Makes brainstorming fun.
I am a big supporter of smart pots definitely get those :)
Yeah with a better soil mix, transplanting will clear those symptoms right out.
I agree with you on these.
When i say up potting when leaves reach the edges is because that is usually when they show some symptoms due to rootbound or generally exhibit slow growth. I thought you were saying they might be rootbound or something. Transplanting to a fresh soil is always good ime.
Yeah lets do this dude, lets save these little gals. I am pumped, pass me the smoke :)

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

The
I am a big supporter of smart pots definitely get those :)
Yeah with a better soil mix, transplanting will clear those symptoms right out.
I agree with you on these.
When i say up potting when leaves reach the edges is because that is usually when they show some symptoms due to rootbound or generally exhibit slow growth. I thought you were saying they might be rootbound or something. Transplanting to a fresh soil is always good ime.
Yeah lets do this dude, lets save these little gals. I am pumped, pass me the smoke :)

Yeah, that's a confusing term. I prefer "transplanting" but I guess that means a much more involved procedure, like root trimming and such.

Ganjee

Ganjee

Do the test dude, it takes 20 mins. It is important to know the ph. Get some soil from deep in the rootzone.
Yeah, I watched your video and I was like I dont have magnetic mixer or nothing like that. I am just going to use a spoon lol.

There is something wrong with the watering,you can improove it.also air humidity is too low for small plants and they love it to be above 50%.I think that is the main problem,not the ph...…..Ofcourse watch it but don't concentrate so much on it now:)Everything looks somehow dry there…….You can add humidifier or at least cups of water or something,spray on them from time to time......
Yeah, I am going to look into getting a small humidifier. I will also try and get a fresh intake fan to bring fresh air into my tent.

IMO your getting to technical with these. I know people say this all the time, but there's a reason they do. (Keep it simple)don't try and reinvent the wheel. Just plant them in some Ocean Forrest soil and watch them grow and water with the 6.5 water and watch for those Pest.
Ive never seen ocean forrest soil where I am. My first I used orangic miracle grow potting soil. Then the growers paradise place sold me pro mix. I should of done my research on promix.

Ganjee

Ganjee

The reason why I thought up-pot is if he's running in an incomplete soil mix it's going to be very difficult to fix this problem. If he up-pots into a complete soil, the girls will reach right out into the new stuff, no extra nutes required. You can transplant anytime. What you're talking about is preference. Which is fine, but in this situation I see no drawbacks to up-plantung. He could use the money he would have spent on nutes to buy smartpots. It'll also buy him immediate time to try and get his ducks in a row instead of struggling under pressure to find a solution.

Great idea. I had to google was smart pots were haha. Amazon sells them I will order some. Now in regards to "complete soil" I will look for Ocean Forest or biobizz as crimson suggested. I have personally never seen these when in our local garden stores.

Bigdawg15009

Bigdawg15009

Happy frog works great to especially on the smaller younger plants. I would do what crimson and the other member said. Search happy frog or ocean forest potting soil near me or where to buy near me n it should come up in google. Then order some 3 gal smart pots off amazon u get 6 for like 10 bucks. Then transplant em into those pots in fox farms happy frog or ocean forest soil and all you should have to do is water with 6.5 ph water for the next few weeks and the rest will fix itself. Im no pro either but i use happy frog and it works very well for me just add a little extra perlite to it for better drainage. i dont really use many nutes either just a veg booster and a bloom booster thats it all the "up potting" or transplanting into fresh happy frog keeps my nutes pretty good.

Bigdawg15009

Bigdawg15009

Ohh the growers paradise place should have one of those fox farms soils..one would think anyways lol..
Also look at my profile image thats a bud 32 days into flower in happy frog..

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Yeah, I watched your video and I was like I dont have magnetic mixer or nothing like that. I am just going to use a spoon lol.

Yeah, I am going to look into getting a small humidifier. I will also try and get a fresh intake fan to bring fresh air into my tent.

Ive never seen ocean forrest soil where I am. My first I used orangic miracle grow potting soil. Then the growers paradise place sold me pro mix. I should of done my research on promix.

I use Fox Farm Lucky Dog K-9 Kube on both my outdoor and indoor. The microorganisms are in place and it feeds well through the grow cycle without nutes.

Ganjee

Ganjee

So this was my soil PH reading of 6.69. It’s higher. Then what I am just watering it with. I called back growers paradise and apparently they carry all the soil types that were mentioned here. I was in on a day when the new guy was working lol.
E3E9F6A3 AA6E 46B6 B8D8 7A00D4D46764

H

hawkman

for soil you can go to 6.0 - 7.0 - Looks like nutrient "overload"

Badrice

Badrice

Again the folks above stating to get rid of the Promix and run a complete soil like Happy Frog and such are spot on with that info. I started my original mothers from clones and tossed em into some Happy Frog and didn't need to feed for at least a month. It will be much easier to manage then doing Promix, as that has zero nutritional value in it and is more of a hydroponic style medium. Stick to soil and remember to Keep it simple stupid.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
So this was my soil PH reading of 6.69. It’s higher. Then what I am just watering it with. I called back growers paradise and apparently they carry all the soil types that were mentioned here. I was in on a day when the new guy was working lol.View attachment 840067
Thats a good ph, get some smart pots and transplant asap, i don’t think you will need a new soil if you are going to bottle feed. But the amended organic soils are just very convenient :)

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

A note on the smartpots since you haven't used them before. You 'need' to set the pots up on something like a plastic grate, anything to keep them above the water that they drain out. It cannot be a flat surface unless its angled to drain, and even then, a grate will work 10x better. Milk crates work if you have enough headroom.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Love biobizz

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Again the folks above stating to get rid of the Promix and run a complete soil like Happy Frog and such are spot on with that info. I started my original mothers from clones and tossed em into some Happy Frog and didn't need to feed for at least a month. It will be much easier to manage then doing Promix, as that has zero nutritional value in it and is more of a hydroponic style medium. Stick to soil and remember to Keep it simple stupid.
Now promix is good provided one is an advanced grower and understands that you gotta treat it like coco. We use it exclusively in our grow but we have to be diligent on watering and nutrients. It’s salt farming and not for the faint of heart. There is a recipe and things can go south fast.
Growing organically is probably better for smaller grows and we do have 22 houses as full Sami certified organic grow for medical use.

H

hawkman

"Build-a-Soil " .com excellent soil's but have used FF Ocean Blend + happy Frog BUT now Ocean Blend+ their Original Planting Mix got far better results in using this - So forget Happy Frog - also there are going to stop producing this mix. --------- try the Planter Mix

Bigdawg15009

Bigdawg15009

The ocean blend tends to be a little hot to start seedlings and small plants out in sometimes. For a beginner happy frog is great all you gotta do is water for the first month with ph'ed water then add a veg booster once a week for the next 6 weeks then go right into your bloom booster 2 weeks after you start to flower. Simple as that..if you want to get even easier on yourself add about 30% perlite to 70% soil give or take. Put your smart pot up on a crate and that will make it drain really well lessening the chance of an overwater and making an emergency flush easier when the new grower over feeds his plant lol...i use both happy frog and the ocean blend and have great results with both. I forget the name of my veg booster but its npk is 11-0-0 with 8% calcium and a few other fillers lol and i use beastie bloomz once a week during flower its npk is 0-50-30 i use it at half the recomended dose for 2 weeks then a quarter dose a week or two after that then strait water for the last few weeks. Very easy with good results less shtuf to buy lol..

Bigdawg15009

Bigdawg15009

Heres a couple pics of my current happy frog,veg booster,and beastie bloomz grow lol. $14.00 happy frog soil,$5.00 perlite,$18.00 veg and bloom boosters.$37.00 total plus water and electric..lol ohh forgot ph up and ph down but one bottle of each of those will last me a lot of grows. Just my $0.02 and a lot less headaches in my opinion. But hey im still new at this to so im up to learn some new stuff.

20181024 195947
20181103 133810
Top Bottom