New Room Electrical Set-up Help

• Thread starter EmeraldDice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

EmeraldDice

I have 100amps running into a sub panel for a new room and plan on installing the 240v breakers and outlets myself. Do I need to install GFCI breakers? I was planning on installing 5 20amp double pole breakers and then running 2 20amp outlets off each with 12-2 wiring. Any advice or ideas? Also any good guides out there on how to install 240v breakers and wire up outlets? Thank you!

robomont

robomont

always gfci if you can.in the old days ,gfci were notorious for defects.so if one doesnt work.dont fight it,replace it.i would have gfci at the outlet if possible.imho

E

EmeraldDice

An electrician has already set up the sub panel for me all I have to do now is install the breakers and connect the receptacles. I'm still learning how to do this but I figured it would be better if I learned how. What do you mean by separating the ground and neutral bus bars?

robomont

robomont

i use to do 500 wire pulls with those kind.my personal favorite are just a small pair of normal klein strippers.
usually lamps are in same room as plants soaked in high mineral salt water.gfci is general rule of thumb.lol.but i dont even go by it.if you got the dough.and time to do it ultra pro.then gfci if possible.

Natural

Natural

If you're planning to do a bunch of wiring these strippers work amazing! It will save you a lot of time and arm pump last you forever too
In alot of sub-panel boxes there is a break-away tab that connects the the bus bars..in your main panel they stay connected. If you're running both 120v and 240v from that sub you need to make sure they are separated..but the electrician should have done that. Easy enough to inspect for

Freshone

Freshone

I've never put 240v gfci in ever,on top of that gfci can cause issues with ballast firing with electronic ballasts with built in sensors.Even on 120v alot of ballasts won't fire,even t5s with e ballasts.
I do have s spa but I didn't install it,gonna check for a gfci on it natural!

Natural

Natural

I've never put 240v gfci in ever,on top of that gfci can cause issues with ballast firing with electronic ballasts with built in sensors.Even on 120v alot of ballasts won't fire,even t5s with e ballasts.
I do have s spa but I didn't install it,gonna check for a gfci on it natural!
The GFCI/dsiconnect is supposed to be on a pole or similar 5 feet away. I've see installs where the panel was 5 feet away and they got away with no disconnect. But that is bad practice

Freshone

Freshone

Yeah there's a disconnect on the wall behind it but I didn't know it was gfci,ill scope it out tomorrow.

E

EmeraldDice

In alot of sub-panel boxes there is a break-away tab that connects the the bus bars..in your main panel they stay connected. If you're running both 120v and 240v from that sub you need to make sure they are separated..but the electrician should have done that. Easy enough to inspect for

Here is the sub panel. It's not very far from the main either.

Sub
Natural

Natural

you're good there..ground and neutral are completely independent.

Top Bottom