new to cloning (jiffy pellets)

• Thread starter jwl88errlman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jwl88errlman

jwl88errlman

Day 3 now under 24 hour light(suggest different if you have better results) followed proper cloning treatment with powder rooting agent.

Since 2 hours in the jiffy pellets they have stood tall and been stiff... So I assume it has enough moister and access on stem for water uptake .

Now some of the lower leaves have wilted(pictures) is this the sign of rooting?

Should I maintain spaying pellets( as I don't spay the tops nor have a dome... Read that if they aren't wilting I do t need it.. Is this true?) Or should I keep water in the base so they can constantly absorb it( will this cause mold? )

Any help would be nice

Day one . as you can see from the clones behind they are all wilted over. Which fixed itself an hour later
New to cloning jiffy pellets

Now I don't use the dome because all.most everywhere I read was. It is to be removed once the plants no longer wilt...

Now until this morning everything was stiff and aiming itself to the light. But now the lower leaves are beginning to wilt and yellow... Is this the rooting taking place? Or possible pellets are to moist and causing adverse reactions... To early to tell?(day 3)
New to cloning jiffy pellets 2

jwl88errlman

jwl88errlman

Won't be able to get or use the lid until tmw or Wednesday at the earliest. Gonna stop by my local hydro store for a taller dome .

Guess what I have going is trial and error. But shouldn't they be wilting if I have no dome and they have no roots? Or does that also vary by genetic strain?

jwl88errlman

jwl88errlman

You have better luck with 24/7 lighting or the 18/6 hours a day ratio?

sixstring

sixstring

imo you left too many leaves on.can you take more cuts?if so take some new ones and just leave the last 2 leaves on top and change nothing else.i just keep mine moist and use 18/6 but i had great luck with 24/0 as well.i never use a dome and i run 35-40% rh in veg.but i also feed my clones the same nutes as the donor plants.rooting gel when i can but they seem to root fine without it also.domes work good,i just find my clones root faster without them.looks like your would be doing better with less leaf on them.sometimes if those last 2 leaves are big,i cut them down smaller like you cut the bottom leaves on the cut in the pics.gl

ShivaSkunkPunk

ShivaSkunkPunk

Personally, 24/7 is the ticket... more importantly, I keep the humidity as close to 100% as possible. This will keep them from wilting and speed up the rooting process. Slightly higher temps, similar to a jungle or humid summer day. Wood hit it on the head, don't let'm sit in water... Make sure the pellets aren't water logged and remain damp, the fresh cut tip can't breath in this condition, so squeeze the excess off and you should be good as gold. I add a drop of Thrivealive (B1 vitamin) when misting the pellet/plugs. Hope this helps, Peace SSP

jwl88errlman

jwl88errlman

Yeah I took only a few off mommy (the one behind the one starting to flower[these were extra seeds that got mixed in to spare soil out side... Now is my mommy for the season])
IMG 20130517 145413

Gonna do another 20 Wednesday and use the advice. I'll keep you all posted

jwl88errlman

jwl88errlman

I meant soak the pellets I plan for the next 20 babies in the light b1 solution?

ShivaSkunkPunk

ShivaSkunkPunk

Original soak n squeeze should suffice, doesn't hurt during mistings either. I like to take monster cuts like you, i've been able to root cuts in as little as 3 days, usually no longer than 10 days max, even with iffy cloning strains. I used to trim the leaves but leave as many intact as possible now, once the plant does start producing roots, it'll cannabilize the leaves as needed till you see roots and can x-plant.

jwl88errlman

jwl88errlman

I really do appreciate the advice as well. Once I get cloning down ... Everything should take off from there.... My hometown soil does wonders on the select genetics I already have flowering.

Any luck in cloning a flowering plant well into flowering like almost 8weeks?

She started auto flowering after a while so I wanted to make more of her .
IMG 20130517 144955

ShivaSkunkPunk

ShivaSkunkPunk

I'd leave a lower branch or 2 intact at harvest and reveg (place her back in 24/7) and give her low doses of veg feed till she reverts and produces cloneable branches.

She's a beauty, no visible signs of overfeeding whatsoever ;)

jwl88errlman

jwl88errlman

I'd leave a lower branch or 2 intact at harvest and reveg (place her back in 24/7) and give her low doses of veg feed till she reverts and produces cloneable branches.

She's a beauty, no visible signs of overfeeding whatsoever ;)
Thank you very much. That's exactly what I'm gonna do to her then. Yeah only plant I've ever had that started flowering this early and being outside with the others it originally worried me. But now its just a genetic I want to keep and a sweet smoke that will hold me over until real harvest.

And again I appreciate all help and advice.

I got the mother and others from a grow we had and one if the plants went hermi on us. But gave us some fem seeds.

Hoping the end result is worth keeping the strain. Otherwise on the hunt for new genetics

Marijuanair

Marijuanair

20130520_233220-jpg.314762
Ok, I have taken thousands of clones, and I get about 95% success now, so let me try to help.

1. Take smaller cuttings. bigger is not better for success in my opinion.
2. cut the leaf tips off all the leaves. They take more energy to keep alive, if you cut the tips you force the plant to root faster.
3. Leave the domes on. The babies get all their water through humidity. burp them every day and spray the inside of the lid with clean water, but dont spray the clones.
4. Check for mold on tips, cut it early.

jwl88errlman

jwl88errlman

Sweet thanks for the advice. Your setup is lovely. I would love to have a nice tent setup this Wednesday I'll doing my second batch and will try out these methods

jwl88errlman

jwl88errlman

I'll post some pics as I work Wednesday with the mothers get some real time info with you masters. My goal is to clone every 2 weeks with a cycle of plants.

How many times can you clone a plant. Like cloning from a clone from a clone from a clone type of thing

TheTommyK

TheTommyK

I agree with Marijunair. I am a novice grower (< 3 years) but that is how I was told to clone .... and I have had a 95% success rate as well. I clone almost exclusively, as well as with a Sativa , an Indica as well as a Hybrid.
In the past I have had a perpetual SOG set up, and I was able to clone and grow successfully this way.

3" clipping with 3 sets of leaves (I have never found an advantage to clipping at a 45deg angle cut ... but some say it helps)
#2 rooting stimulator
jiffy pellets in a covered tray
pH balanced water (6.0)
"Burp" the dome at least once daily
Moist but not soaked (I spray when i burp em ....)
10-14 days ..... roots!! I let em develop as much as I can (time wise) before I put em in 4" pots of Pro mix

Marijuanair

Marijuanair

I think I'm going to write up a cloning guide. Here are some pictures of the clones with the tips of their leaves removed. I actually remove more than the picture shows, they grow back, and the new growth will take over the old leaves anyways.

another protip: after you cut your new clone (at a 45 degree angle) use sharp clearn scissors to split the stalk down the middle about 1/8th an inch. Alow the cloning gel or powder to get in the slit.

20130521 150851
20130521 150902

Latest posts

Top Bottom