new to cloning (jiffy pellets)

• Thread starter jwl88errlman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheTommyK

TheTommyK

I was really looking for something like that when I started .... so now I have given back to the community.

jwl88errlman

jwl88errlman

Been a while so here's an update.

Tossed the little dome I had and used an old 10gallon tank
IMG 20130601 181410
This one currently has 2 clones in water(after treatment of rooting powder) 9 jiffy pucks and 5 personal soil mix[ recycled Eco earth ,organic compost , and peat moss]

Here is an attempt I started when I first posted this in the forums a week or so ago. Formed dots about day 5-6 and roots day 8 (this pic is day 10)
IMG 20130601 082916

The jiffy pucks I put in the tank were about 5-7 days old already and over night I began seeing roots popping out .
IMG 20130602 090648

The other 5 in soil are a mix between the ones rooted in water and a few just rooting in the soil alone. Both are extremely healthy and showing appropriate signs of root growth. So far I have been lucky enough to have every cut survive this time.

Tank has an air temp of 80 to 86 and a soil temp of 74 to 80. Humidity is at a constant 80ish%. Light is going a solid 24/7.

The rooting ones go in some 1 gallon pots today and moved to the green house. And more clones are gonna be made today. Including a flowering beauty I'm going to try and clone because it was a random seed.

Lastly a random clone I thought was going to die that decided to come back to life and is currently just a nice house plant
IMG 20130530 173822

I'll update again soon. And comments feel free. I strive on your guy's information.

jwl88errlman

jwl88errlman

Got to thank everyone for your ideas and advice. watching these roots grow a few inches a day is great. Takes about a solid week-10days for a dozen or so roots to start popping out of the pucks. More pictures today of the new clone batch and an experiment of cloning some 3 inch nugs Off my outdoor hybrid . she's about 4-5 weeks into flower.

jwl88errlman

jwl88errlman

Randomly was using medical bottles (the squeeze the sides and pop the top type that you can see from pics above in tank.) And they work well. PicsArt 1370307547890

A quick blow on the bottom through my drainage holes and the roots and soil come out like a spit wad. ....... Yeah I know but I didn't want to kill the roots and I was shocked on how simple it was to get out.. So I don't mind the slight bit of soil on the lips hah.

jwl88errlman

jwl88errlman

Any idea why it seems the roots come about a half inch out and stop.... Is that good? I'm starting to get 20-30 roots shoots on some jiffy pucks. But all are short little barbs poking out and seem to stop growing about an inch or so.... Humidity not high enough ?(its at about 80% all the time) is it the light hitting the roots? As soon as I have roots should I put in soil? Or wait for new growth?

jwl88errlman

jwl88errlman

First sets I did are now either at grow location or in this pic waiting to head there and the 3rd set is just about a week and starting to show roots.
IMG 20130608 144557 IMG 20130608 144615
I'll snap some pics of the flowered clones I have when there are enough roots to make a fuss over. But I'm looking forward to the plants those clones will produce with the amount of healthy limbs it will put out.

jwl88errlman

jwl88errlman

The nugs from the full on flowered plant have started rooting IMG 20130609 165921 this is the largest nugs cutting

And this is the smallest.IMG 20130609 165456

The ones already rooted and ready to head to the garden

Guess I'm not looking for advice anymore. But always welcome to input . /bumb/

TheTommyK

TheTommyK

I have run another set of clones .... this time I am hoping to show the root growth more. (pics to come) I wont deviate from my normal method of having the clones under the CFLs. the window sill really hurt, what were otherwise, good prospects.
kids, the lesson here is: "don't deviate from the plan that works. save the tests for a small subject under controlled conditions."

jwl88errlman

jwl88errlman

Oh man talking about experimenting
I've been doing what I call med tube cloning
Basically let the stem sit in solution of basic b1 for cutting and then place in soil in recycled medical bottle inside my tank(until it has roots, then no dome). The bottle had a almost dime sized hole on the bottom then another recycled product, a discarded jiffy puck casing , used as a barrier/wick(for water) packed down to prevent soil escape.1371233364196
I usually just mist spray the bottom while holding the clone up side down. But less often until I see root growth. Then once the root ball is to my liking I pop the sucker out and into a larger sized container to make another layer of a root ball .

This particular one was in water in the window for 4 days
IMG 20130610 180251
IMG 20130610 180313

Two days later I had my first roots
IMG 20130613 105327
And here is a pic of them today ( the next morning hah)
1371233157532 1371233267930

Vonkins

Vonkins

imo you left too many leaves on.can you take more cuts?if so take some new ones and just leave the last 2 leaves on top and change nothing else.i just keep mine moist and use 18/6 but i had great luck with 24/0 as well.i never use a dome and i run 35-40% rh in veg.but i also feed my clones the same nutes as the donor plants.rooting gel when i can but they seem to root fine without it also.domes work good,i just find my clones root faster without them.looks like your would be doing better with less leaf on them.sometimes if those last 2 leaves are big,i cut them down smaller like you cut the bottom leaves on the cut in the pics.gl
I'm new to jiffy cloning also. My problem with rockwool is always too much moisture. So I started weighing them before I stick my clone in. 25 grams seems pretty good to me. Should it weigh less? I'm wondering what a properly moist jiffy pellet should weigh? I' thinking 30 to 35 grams. By weighing I can be more precise on each clone plus It helps me stay consistent. What would most folks consider the best amount of moisture?

D

dirkdaddy

Rockwool is fucking trash for cloning. For some reason this go around I tried change what works and got cute and tried to use rockwool for some cuts. Four weeks later and two rounds of complete disaster clones and one salvaged and I'm back with coco and peat pellets. Getting roots in a week. I won't ever use rockwool for anything again. I'm an experienced grower of all types of things and it made me feel like a noob all over again.

H

heisen

Rockwool is fucking trash for cloning. For some reason this go around I tried change what works and got cute and tried to use rockwool for some cuts. Four weeks later and two rounds of complete disaster clones and one salvaged and I'm back with coco and peat pellets. Getting roots in a week. I won't ever use rockwool for anything again. I'm an experienced grower of all types of things and it made me feel like a noob all over again.
Same here man.you have to monitor rockwool daily for dampness.shit has to be damn near dry to root.not to mention super sterile.i tossed out my rockwool and never looked back

Vonkins

Vonkins

I've be growing for 8yrs and still have got cloning down 100%

Vonkins

Vonkins

Med mad has a video on youtube. Where he uses jiffy pellets. He never squeezes his out. He gets them expanded in the tray on a heat mat for 24hrs, then adds clones in the warm pellets. Opens the dome completely and has it elevated of the tray. He gets 100%. Has anyone ever tried this? Watch it and chime in. Type in med man jiffy pellets.

Top Bottom