new to cloning (jiffy pellets)

• Thread starter jwl88errlman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Day 3 now under 24 hour light(suggest different if you have better results) followed proper cloning treatment with powder rooting agent.

Since 2 hours in the jiffy pellets they have stood tall and been stiff... So I assume it has enough moister and access on stem for water uptake .

Now some of the lower leaves have wilted(pictures) is this the sign of rooting?

Should I maintain spaying pellets( as I don't spay the tops nor have a dome... Read that if they aren't wilting I do t need it.. Is this true?) Or should I keep water in the base so they can constantly absorb it( will this cause mold? )

Any help would be nice

Day one . as you can see from the clones behind they are all wilted over. Which fixed itself an hour later
View attachment 314638

Now I don't use the dome because all.most everywhere I read was. It is to be removed once the plants no longer wilt...

Now until this morning everything was stiff and aiming itself to the liones so t. But now the lower leaves are beginning to wilt and yellow... Is this the rooting taking place? Or possible pellets are to moist and causing adverse reactions... To early to tell?(day 3)
View attachment 314639
Oooo those are the fat ones... Theyll work good but i suggest the smaller ones so you can see rooting and get them in medium faster.

IMG 20180423 201631 992
GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Med mad has a video on youtube. Where he uses jiffy pellets. He never squeezes his out. He gets them expanded in the tray on a heat mat for 24hrs, then adds clones in the warm pellets. Opens the dome completely and has it elevated of the tray. He gets 100%. Has anyone ever tried this? Watch it and chime in. Type in med man jiffy pellets.
Theres 10 days..no nutes or spray bottle or heat mat

IMG 20180425 194257 402
Vonkins

Vonkins

Theres 10 days..no nutes or spray bottle or heat mat
Whats your regimen? If you had to weigh one of your pellets before installing the clone, what would you consider the ideal moist weight for your pellets? Could u weigh one please. Clone in it or not, I'm just trying to get the perfect moisture down. Do you close vents for the 1st two days or what. Some people say to mist the clones twice daily, others say don't mist the clones only mist the dome, while others say don't mist period. How do u do it? So many different methods. I'm thinking the ideal weight would be about 30 grams. Maybe 35. I'm trying to get it to where I don't have to remoisten that much, maybe once. Do you guys have to remoisten your pellets before the first sign of roots?

H

heisen

Humidity in the dome is everything.I use rapid plugs and wet them 100 percent.squeeze em out a little.put them in there and set in the dome.Dont set them on a cold floor.i always put mine off the floor a couple feet in a warm corner and close up the dome all the way.Add some water to the bottom of the dome and get roots in 5 to 7 days like clock work.
I use to use clonex but found the cheap ass bottle of white powder from lowes works just as good.If you dont see humidity on the walls of the dome you have an issue.If you see cloudy humidity all over the dome walls your good to go.Youll have roots in a week.
If the walls are clear its to cold in the dome or it has an air leak.
these are some roots i got a week after my cuts popped the roots out of the plug
I also cloned in jiffy pellets and they work good to.a little more touchier than the rapid plugs but still work.Rapid plugs are hard to screw up as long as you check them every day and make sure they are damp and not soaked.

20180418 012929

Vonkins

Vonkins

I just recently purchased elite 91 roots, clones, and mycojordan. Tons of pics I've seen from other growers are showing off some absolutely amazing cloning results with these products. I haven't used them yet but I can't' wait.

Monster762

Monster762

I just recently purchased elite 91 roots, clones, and mycojordan. Tons of pics I've seen from other growers are showing off some absolutely amazing cloning results with these products. I haven't used them yet but I can't' wait.
Idk about none that Micheal Jordan I seen him but not in the garden. I simply cut at 45 shave sides up from bottom about half to an inch dip in root gel or powder even Walmart root take. Drop in jiffy’s or root riots most recently put in dome n keep misting. I wet em real good then just spray the puck every time I must em. There is no perfect moisture. I’ve had 100% take and first ones were revegs with no dome at all just misting. I don’t cut my leaves up either. Don’t try forcing feed on them. Just water let the rooting stuff do it’s job. Takes a week or so to get roots. Sometimes little more.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Whats your regimen? If you had to weigh one of your pellets before installing the clone, what would you consider the ideal moist weight for your pellets? Could u weigh one please. Clone in it or not, I'm just trying to get the perfect moisture down. Do you close vents for the 1st two days or what. Some people say to mist the clones twice daily, others say don't mist the clones only mist the dome, while others say don't mist period. How do u do it? So many different methods. I'm thinking the ideal weight would be about 30 grams. Maybe 35. I'm trying to get it to where I don't have to remoisten that much, maybe once. Do you guys have to remoisten your pellets before the first sign of roots?
When you squeeze them water comes out. It gives them enough wet for a couple weeks to root..i cut the leaves to stick 40 in a dome at a time. Dome stays on for 48h and yes they stay wet till roots

Last edited:
Monster762

Monster762

When you squeeze them water comes out. It gives them enough wet for a couple weeks to root..i cut the leaves to stick 40 in a dome at a time.
Oh. It would make em fit better. I thought people did it to watch the new growth. I just never cut em n they did good so I stuck with it so far. My little dome gets packed with 6 in it. Probably could get like 10 if I did cut leaves back.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Oh. It would make em fit better. I thought people did it to watch the new growth. I just never cut em n they did good so I stuck with it so far. My little dome gets packed with 6 in it. Probably could get like 10 if I did cut leaves back.
No... Hope for no new growth...you want to divert the energy to making feet not growing up..if it grows then the light is too close.

IMG 20180423 201526 488
P

PharmHand

I like the jiffys too, so simple yet effective. Roots in 5-10days depending on strain and conditions outside the dome. I read how to supercharge your garden and secrets of high yield growing many years ago( great books written by an actual botanist) and it stated you want 50% air to water ratio for optimum rooting, any more or less slows rooting. So I dip my cut in the cheap iba powder from hd then stick em in the jiffy and squeeze out roughly half the water at the same time squeezing the soil around the stem base and forming a nice flat bottom so they sit pretty. Put em in the tray, dome on and usually don’t give them any attention water or misting til I see the first roots. If it’s exceptionally warm n dry outside the dome sometimes I’ll mist them or if it’s the opposite outside the dome cooler and more humid I’ll open the vents to get the humidity just right. Too humid they tend to rot easier and too dry they wilt- it’s all about the right conditions and keeping them consistent. And just pure water for soaking and misting- no nutes for me, again taking that info from those books that are 20+ years old. Don’t fall prey to the thinking that cannabis is special and requires special rooting procedures- it’s a herbaceous softwood and clones really easily. Keep it simple and follow what greenhouses and nurseries have been doing for decades

Vonkins

Vonkins

I like the jiffys too, so simple yet effective. Roots in 5-10days depending on strain and conditions outside the dome. I read how to supercharge your garden and secrets of high yield growing many years ago( great books written by an actual botanist) and it stated you want 50% air to water ratio for optimum rooting, any more or less slows rooting. So I dip my cut in the cheap iba powder from hd then stick em in the jiffy and squeeze out roughly half the water at the same time squeezing the soil around the stem base and forming a nice flat bottom so they sit pretty. Put em in the tray, dome on and usually don’t give them any attention water or misting til I see the first roots. If it’s exceptionally warm n dry outside the dome sometimes I’ll mist them or if it’s the opposite outside the dome cooler and more humid I’ll open the vents to get the humidity just right. Too humid they tend to rot easier and too dry they wilt- it’s all about the right conditions and keeping them consistent. And just pure water for soaking and misting- no nutes for me, again taking that info from those books that are 20+ years old. Don’t fall prey to the thinking that cannabis is special and requires special rooting procedures- it’s a herbaceous softwood and clones really easily. Keep it simple and follow what greenhouses and nurseries have been doing for decades
Great post!

Vonkins

Vonkins

Someone has got to explain this to me. I've had some clones not root but not be under a dome and not wilt. How is it possible for an unrooted clone to survive without roots in a room with 40% humidity or lower. It wasn't wilting but it wasn't rooting either. I've had several do that. Everyone says when they stand up with the dome off you got roots coming. Definitely not true. Can someone explain this to me please?

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Someone has got to explain this to me. I've had some clones not root but not be under a dome and not wilt. How is it possible for an unrooted clone to survive without roots in a room with 40% humidity or lower. It wasn't wilting but it wasn't rooting either. I've had several do that. Everyone says when they stand up with the dome off you got roots coming. Definitely not true. Can someone explain this to me please?
The stem kept them alive. It happens.. A couple weeks in you pull the cut out of the puck and nothing... I will say the bigger the cut the faster the roots. 2 inch cuts do it in 14 days... 4 inch cuts under 10 days... But i dont like to take 4 inches off plants im about to flower.

aletheus

aletheus

Got to thank everyone for your ideas and advice. watching these roots grow a few inches a day is great. Takes about a solid week-10days for a dozen or so roots to start popping out of the pucks. More pictures today of the new clone batch and an experiment of cloning some 3 inch nugs Off my outdoor hybrid . she's about 4-5 weeks into flower.

How did cloning a bud work for you? Ive read elsewhere that cuttings from flowering plants have to reveg before they can take root.

Top Bottom