New To Soil Grow!! Not New To Growing.

• Thread starter Green Giant
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Green Giant

Green Giant

I have grown in coco for the last 8-10 years now, I had to stop growing for the last 6 months or so. That really sucked glad to be back at it!!
Thinking of growing in soil this time around, I have searched and read different posts for the last few day. Still have yet to understand if I need to feed nutes to a soil grow or if the soil has what the ladies need throughout the grow.
If I could get some input I certainly would appreciate it

Thanks guys!

BudBogart

BudBogart

I have grown in coco for the last 8-10 years now, I had to stop growing for the last 6 months or so. That really sucked glad to be back at it!!
Thinking of growing in soil this time around, I have searched and read different posts for the last few day. Still have yet to understand if I need to feed nutes to a soil grow or if the soil has what the ladies need throughout the grow.
If I could get some input I certainly would appreciate it

Thanks guys!

Good question. the soil should contain all the nutrients necessary to grow the plants. As the roots grow they migrate through the soil picking up the nutes as needed. A healthy cannabis plant may start to deplete its supply of nitrogen as it rapidly grows. Farmers can, and do, add nitrogen back by putting some ferts high in N., maybe ground fish meal on top of the soil and scratch it in, increasing N. When watering. Different ferts break down to be absorbed at different rates. If you built a perfect soil with the exact ratio of different nutes we wouldn't need to add anything, but we seldom get it perfect.
Of course, much more to soil than just N., but this will give maybe an idea of what ur asking.

MW7945

MW7945

I might catch flak from some people but tbh I feel like you're taking a step back going from coco to soil... any particular reason or just want to switch it up? I'd at least go to DWC or something personally

Green Giant

Green Giant

I might catch flak from some people but tbh I feel like you're taking a step back going from coco to soil... any particular reason or just want to switch it up? I'd at least go to DWC or something personally

No big reason for the switch, just looking for something different.
Why would going soil be a step back?

Underthesun

Underthesun

You could purchase soil that should have everything you need like BudBogart said and just water, adding a little nutes when needed. You could make your own super soil, lots of info out there on that. You could make a no-till living soil and use the same soil multiple grows just top dressing. I would think most ‘good’ soils would just need water, but adding some extra food for your soil to eat can add some benefits when done correctly.

How big of pots do you want to use? Organic soil tends to work better in larger pots.

IMHO, compost is number one when it comes to soil grows, for what your soil is made up of. Quality compost / worm casting for your soil and teas make my plants happy.

Underthesun

Underthesun

Here is a water only soil. You'll need a seedling mix.

https://www.kisorganics.com/collections/all/products/kis-organics-water-only-soil-mix

If you want to mix your own I have a water only recipe.

Sound like a good mix. This would be a no-till mix it looks like. If the OP decides to go no till, consider using a 10 gallon pot at the smallest. Reading up on no-till would be helpful as well. You will want to make sure you have a good mulch layer, or cover crops, or both. Compost teas or other methods to inoculate your soil with microbial life will speed up growth and increase yeild with this mix...but just watering would work too.

I like the info from these two sites on growing organic.
http://microbeorganics.com/
https://buildasoil.com/pages/the-complete-system

Jamescoleman

Jamescoleman

Good question. the soil should contain all the nutrients necessary to grow the plants. As the roots grow they migrate through the soil picking up the nutes as needed. A healthy cannabis plant may start to deplete its supply of nitrogen as it rapidly grows. Farmers can, and do, add nitrogen back by putting some ferts high in N., maybe ground fish meal on top of the soil and scratch it in, increasing N. When watering. Different ferts break down to be absorbed at different rates. If you built a perfect soil with the exact ratio of different nutes we wouldn't need to add anything, but we seldom get it perfect.
Of course, much more to soil than just N., but this will give maybe an idea of what ur asking.
just go get a bag of good neutral potting mix and it will be perfect for the grow just read and make sure it says has the nutrients to feed for at least 3 months

Ina

Ina

And you can always feed by transplanting in different soils for different stages.Also you feed every time you transplant in bigger pot.I dont know why this is step back from the coco where you have to add many expensive ferts by yourself?!If the soil is nice i think it is the easiest way of growing:)And the cheapest may be:)

brazel

brazel

Better to plant nitrogen fixing cover crop, white clover would be excellent

brazel

brazel

I'd start with the soil organiks recommended. You'll get to Grow two Cycles , that will give you a good understanding about growing in true organic soil. From there you'll develop
Water only but water with water that's free of chlorine and chloramine.

Top Bottom