New to using myco

• Thread starter organikn8
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

organikn8

just bought some mycorihza granules (not sure how to spell)

can I top dress with this or does it only work if added in the soil , if this is the case could I dig up the first inch of my newest plants and mix it that way ?

C

CT Guy

It needs come in direct contact with the roots of your plant, if you topdress you're just wasting it.

It's a 1X application, early on in the plant's life (when transplanting rooted clones for example).

Just sprinkle it into the hole right before you drop the plant in and water it in.

O

organikn8

ok thanks , what about transplanting to flower can I add it then aswell ?

phenotyper

phenotyper

Yep, do it at every transplant and try to hit the exposed roots.

You can topdress, if you have a dense rootmass near the top of the soil, otherwise it will be wasted as CT guy said. I've done this and I usually just put the mycos right by the crown, work it into the soil and then lightly water.

C

CT Guy

It's probably a waste of time and $ at that point, as it takes time for the fungi to colonize. There's some speculation that it may not even be worth it when inoculated at the beginning of the plant's life.

Make sure you have the proper endo-mycorrhizal species for cannabis. Ecto- has no relationship with your plant.

phenotyper

phenotyper

There's some speculation that it may not even be worth it when inoculated at the beginning of the plant's life.

Can you elaborate on this a little more please? Do you have any links to journals or articles explaining efficacy of myco colonization, perhaps over time?

For that matter, will pyrethrins in a soil drench destroy my beneficials?

C

CT Guy

There was a whole thread over at IC, I can't remember who started it.

ITB would have some references I'm guessing...

I'll keep my eyes open for it too.

A

AliasAO

I spoke to the owner at Xtreme Gardening and he said that if you have the Water Soluble Mykos you can top dress. The granulated is better for mixing and applying straight to the root masses.

But as CT said and Pheno Mykos is perfect when transplanting. The owner at XG also said it typically takes from 1 wk-3 wks for the spores to fully colonize [ depending on how healthy your root structure already is ]

When using the Granules, pre mix it in the your soil at 10-20% , then like mentioned when you dig the final Hole for transplant you will want to fill that hole with Granulated Mykos so your roots get a first hand exposure and jump start.

Check out my 7.11 Grow Log, I just started using the Granulated Mykos and WS Mykos along with the Azos and ill be spraying with Cal Carb tomorrow.

The plants Love the organic approach- the roots thrive and the plant grows much more vigorously IMO.

--AO

symbiote420

symbiote420

Extreme Gardening's Mykos IMO is the best mycorrhizae prod on the market, the WP works great but the granules are one and done.
The reason I believe they have to keep being added back to hydro/synthetics is they die off and have to constantly be replaced in order to be effective.

C

CT Guy

I spoke to the owner at Xtreme Gardening and he said that if you have the Water Soluble Mykos you can top dress. The granulated is better for mixing and applying straight to the root masses.

But as CT said and Pheno Mykos is perfect when transplanting. The owner at XG also said it typically takes from 1 wk-3 wks for the spores to fully colonize [ depending on how healthy your root structure already is ]

When using the Granules, pre mix it in the your soil at 10-20% , then like mentioned when you dig the final Hole for transplant you will want to fill that hole with Granulated Mykos so your roots get a first hand exposure and jump start.

Check out my 7.11 Grow Log, I just started using the Granulated Mykos and WS Mykos along with the Azos and ill be spraying with Cal Carb tomorrow.

The plants Love the organic approach- the roots thrive and the plant grows much more vigorously IMO.

--AO

You know, I heard this claim from a rep at Mycorrhizal Applications (where 90% of these myco companies source and re-brand their myco anyway, and Mycorrhizal applications gets their VAM from a company in Canada). I remain unconvinced at this point in time due to the nature of the spores. Supposedly if they are 3 mm away from the root hair they will stay dormant for the life of the plant. It just doesn't seem practical to topdress or water in with this consideration in my opinion. This is the same reason I would never mix it into my entire soil mix. Seems like a waste of money. Much better to ensure colonization early in the plant's life by applying it directly to the roots.

As for colonization, I thought I read it was 4-6 weeks, but I may be mistaken on that figure. Again, ITB would know.

AMAUULU

AMAUULU

just bought some mycorihza granules (not sure how to spell)

can I top dress with this or does it only work if added in the soil , if this is the case could I dig up the first inch of my newest plants and mix it that way ?

AMAUULU

AMAUULU

What species of mychorrhizal fungi did you get? According to what I've read on this and other forums, there are apparently only two endomycorrhizal fungi that form a beneficial symbiotic association with Cannabis: (1) Glomus intraradices (aka Rhizophagus intraradices or Rhizaphagus irregularis) and (2) Glomus mosseae (which has also recently been reclassified and renamed). If you are using a granular form, the best method of application if it is still possible (e.g., up-potting or transplanting), is to sprinkle the granules on the root ball/root system of the seedling or clone plant as well as sprinkling the sides and bottom of the planting hole into which you will be inserting the plant. If the plant is already well rooted and established in its growing container, it has been suggested that you poke several holes around the roots of the plant and sprinkle the granules into the holes, cover up the holes, and water in. Some of these mycorrhizae products are also made as wettable powders, in which case you can simply mix the mycorr. powder with non-chlorinated water (also non-chloramine water) and water in the powdered mixtsure solution around your plants. Additionally, I have recently learned from an article in the Journal of International Experimental Botany that combining the bacterium Azospirillum brasilense (Azos) with Glomus intraradices (aka Rhizophagus intraradices, aka Rhizophagus irregularis) results in increased growth and yield. Using these two products by combining them when applied should effect best results.

If you are planting seeds, you could first roll the dampened seeds in mycorr. powder (or mycorr-azoz powder mix) before putting the seeds into the growing medium. If you are putting seeds into plugs like root riot, you could sprinkle mycorr. granules or powder in the hole of the plug where the seed will rest, then afterwards, when the seed has germinated and is ready to go into a larger container, you could sprinkle the outside of the dampened rooting plug with mycorr. granules or powder before placing the rooting plug into the planting hole in the container pot. You could also sprinkle or powder the planting hole into which you will place the root plug with more mycorr. product.

I am a newbie and have gathered this information from contributors to this and other forums as well as reading research papers and science articles on the subject. I am learning and welcome all viewpoints and opinions, especially from experienced growers.

AMAUULU

AMAUULU

You know, I heard this claim from a rep at Mycorrhizal Applications (where 90% of these myco companies source and re-brand their myco anyway, and Mycorrhizal applications gets their VAM from a company in Canada). I remain unconvinced at this point in time due to the nature of the spores. Supposedly if they are 3 mm away from the root hair they will stay dormant for the life of the plant. It just doesn't seem practical to topdress or water in with this consideration in my opinion. This is the same reason I would never mix it into my entire soil mix. Seems like a waste of money. Much better to ensure colonization early in the plant's life by applying it directly to the roots.

As for colonization, I thought I read it was 4-6 weeks, but I may be mistaken on that figure. Again, ITB would know.

RE: 4 - 6 weeks period for colonization....
I cannot remember who posted the observation that it could be as soon as 1 week after initial application for effective colonization to occur in the root system. I was curious, because I am going to grow autoflowering strains which reach maturity so quickly. If the one week period is valid, then I think, racing against time, I should inoculate the seeds/seedlings immediately before inserting them into their permanent grow pots, as time is of the essence with autoflowering strains.

P

Profesortoak

Post is somewhat old but you could use a mushroom technique for inoculation. First grab your spores and mix with distilled water about 4 to 1 ratio water to spores. Grab a syringe with needle or probe insert at 45 degree angle about 1 inch away from stem. Try imagining where the root mass would be under the soil and just inject them into root mass. Best used when soil has just been watered for maximum distribution of spores in inoculated area. You could do this in several locations around the plant to ensure the spores touch root zones. Just two cents from a broke organic farmer 🍻

Top Bottom