New Top Feed System Question

• Thread starter DieselDuds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DieselDuds

DieselDuds

I'm running hydroton in 5 gal buckets. It's the flow grow flood and drain system. But I don't want to use flood and drain. So my idea is to just keep a constant drip 24/7 or a short time loop 15 min off 15 min off when it drips it goes back I to the drain bucket to the 50 gal res and back down the drippers. There will be no standing water in the buckets , so no air stones. Just super airrated hydrotons with a constant flow of nutrients. Does anyone see something happening or going wrong with this idea? Oh and the resivor will be constantly adjusted by an auto doser

Last edited:
Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

I'm running hydroton in 5 gal buckets. It's the flow grow flood and drain system. But I don't want to use flood and drain. So my idea is to just keep a constant drip 24/7 or a short time loop 15 min off 15 min off when it drips it goes back I to the drain bucket to the 50 gal res and back down the drippers. There will be no standing water in the buckets , so no air stones. Just super airrated hydrotons with a constant flow of nutrients. Does anyone see something happening or going wrong with this idea? Oh and the resivor will be constantly adjusted by an auto doser

So it’s always saturated and never gets a chance to dry out?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Correct. It is a hydroponic system. If it dries our the plant dies lol. Constant water flow, hydrotons = lots of oxygen allowing for 24/7 saturation
damn fine setup you have there bro. :D Is that a fluence spyder x plus light I see hangin???

To your question as long as your DO levels are at their maximum potential from your rez supply I personally don't see why this wouldn't work. Why are you choosing not to use the ebb n flo/flood drain method. Just curious. Enquiring minds bro :D

Last edited:
DieselDuds

DieselDuds

damn fine setup you have there bro. :D Is that a fluence spyder x plus light I see hangin???

To your question as long as your DO levels are at their maximum potential from your rez supply I personally don't see why this wouldn't work. Why are you choosing not to use the edd n flo/flood drain method. Just curious. Enquiring minds bro :D

Yes that is a fluence that you see in 1 more next week. I think It should. It all makes sense

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

How much drop are you giving the drainage? Any worries about build up in the drains?

DieselDuds

DieselDuds

It's 3/4tubing for the drains and the nutrient I use is pretty clean. I don't think I'm worried about that

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

It's 3/4tubing for the drains and the nutrient I use is pretty clean. I don't think I'm worried about that

I only asked because it seems like a low flow system. In my experience too low flow leads to issues when the grade isn’t heavy. That’s all, and your setup looks great I just thought by the photo it looks flat. W

DieselDuds

DieselDuds

I only asked because it seems like a low flow system. In my experience too low flow leads to issues when the grade isn’t heavy. That’s all, and your setup looks great I just thought by the photo it looks flat. W[/QUOTE

Your 100% right about being low flow I'm running a powder nutrient and when I mix my nutrients I mix them in a gallon container and stir till it's properly mixed. I let sit for a minute or 2 to let any sediment drop to the bottom then I add it to my resivor . So none of those sediments should clog my drip rings or return lines . That sound ok or do you think I'll still run into issues ?

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

Sounds great! Still I would think a good flush between grows would take care of anything that could build up. What are you using for a dosing pump/controller? I used and still have a number of pharmaceutical grade dosing pumps I used whe I grew coral as a hobby. I have often thought about building a system like yours so I look forward to seeing how things work out.

DieselDuds

DieselDuds

That's pretty interesting. Growing coral huh what did you do with the coral once it grew ? I'm using a blue labs ph controller set to 5.5

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

That's pretty interesting. Growing coral huh what did you do with the coral once it grew ? I'm using a blue labs ph controller set to 5.5

I would trade “frags” or fragments. So corals cool, you can break it into tiny pieces and glue the pieces to rock. Then with hps lighting and the right environment you can get hard and soft corals to grow. I was huge into it years ago, but it gave me good understanding of water quality.

So just ph control then?

juggernaut

juggernaut

clogged drippers is a pain in the ass. I would only leave them on when lights are on or maybe 1 hr after and start an hour before lights go on. root growth is crazy. I'm using the halo rings. don't clog as much. looks like a good setup. how many watts per ft2 of light.

DieselDuds

DieselDuds

I would trade “frags” or fragments. So corals cool, you can break it into tiny pieces and glue the pieces to rock. Then with hps lighting and the right environment you can get hard and soft corals to grow. I was huge into it years ago, but it gave me good understanding of water quality.

So just ph control then?

I work 55 plus hours a week so I can't be constantly keeping the PH in check. So the PH controller will do well.

DieselDuds

DieselDuds

clogged drippers is a pain in the ass. I would only leave them on when lights are on or maybe 1 hr after and start an hour before lights go on. root growth is crazy. I'm using the halo rings. don't clog as much. looks like a good setup. how many watts per ft2 of light.

The hydroton won t dry out at night ? Yeah that's why I went with drip rings and not drippers . How many watts per ft of light? The fluence runs 660watts but is a beast I donno

T

Tan Man

I would use hugos (6x6 rockwool cubes) and invest in floraflex caps and an external leaderpump so u only have to feed for 30-45 seconds a feeding 3-4 times a day depending where you are in your cycle. Auto dosers are nice, U can leave your garden for up to 2wks if done properly

Top Bottom