Newbie Confirmation Of Plant Sex

• Thread starter Dltbr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dltbr

Newbie confirmation of plant sex
My first grow attempt and would appreciate someone confirming this is a Male plant. Had allot of uncertainty starting out with trial and error growing this one so wanna make sure before I take it out :) Btw THC farmer has helped me out allot think I’ve read almost every post over the past few months but do second guess myself allot :) thanks in advance.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Agreed, male. I'm sorry I hope it's not your only plant, and if it's not, make sure you cut him down or put him somewhere totally separate from the other plants so you don't end up with seed-ridden buds. At least you asked before it got too late, don't be afraid to ask questions here, we don't bite! Just keep in mind, cannabis pollen can EASILY travel and pollinate plants up to 1 MILE away. The particles are extremely small, and will go right through most filters, too. So I wouldn't worry about trying to save him for breeding. Just destroy it.

Welcome to the Farm! There's some amazing people here so pay attention and we'll show ya how it's done :)

D

Dltbr

Yep. Male.
Yea I kinda figured that sucks looks different from the other one well at least one is a female

If I keep separate is it worth allowing to continue to flower ? It’s in week 2 of flowering thanks again

D

Dltbr

Agreed, male. I'm sorry I hope it's not your only plant, and if it's not, make sure you cut him down or put him somewhere totally separate from the other plants so you don't end up with seed-ridden buds. At least you asked before it got too late, don't be afraid to ask questions here, we don't bite! Just keep in mind, cannabis pollen can EASILY travel and pollinate plants up to 1 MILE away. The particles are extremely small, and will go right through most filters, too. So I wouldn't worry about trying to save him for breeding. Just destroy it.

Welcome to the Farm! There's some amazing people here so pay attention and we'll show ya how it's done :)
Ok thanks yes I have another that’s doing good, both were started at same time you answered my last question already very much appreciated.

Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter
Yea I kinda figured that sucks looks different from the other one well at least one is a female

If I keep separate is it worth allowing to continue to flower ? It’s in week 2 of flowering thanks again

Well to be honest, unless you want to start breeding, no, it's not worth it. Like I just said the pollen travels very far, very easily. You might end up pollinating your neighbor's plants or something. This happens a lot in Colorado every once in a while we'll get somebody who has no clue what they're doing allow a male to spread pollen and then your neighbor's crop is ruined, and his neighbor's and his neighbor's neighbor's crops are ruined. It happens...

If you're interested in actually breeding you should find 2 different strains first. And the males must be kept in a completely sealed off, controlled, SEPARATE environment. No fans, no ventilation, no drafts of any kind. Once you have a room safe to keep males in, you then bring in a female to pollinate. Never bring the male to the females.

But just trust me and cut him down right now he's not worth keeping. If you want to learn more about breeding I'll gladly give you some advice, but first ya need to learn male from female ;)

B

Badmf

Pollen is very fine and can easily drift to your Females and you'd have seeds although I would intentionally pollenate a few labeled lower branches just for that reason! Pollen as collected can be kept in a film canister with dry rice or desicant packs for six months at least in the freezer!

B

Badmf

Pollen is very fine and can easily drift to your Females and you'd have seeds although I would intentionally pollenate a few labeled lower branches just for that reason! Pollen as collected can be kept in a film canister with dry rice or desicant packs for six months at least in the freezer!
Oh and label your branches its easy to forget as plants grow and you want to know who's da Daddy!

Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter
Quick tip on male from female. I can identify them usually within the first couple days of flower. You need to look very closely at the "node" or calyx that is forming. Check every branch of the plant, as some branches will develop faster than others. Basically you will see 1 little calyx growing out of the corner, generally it's somewhat long and skinny looking, and there is only 1 of them. This is important, because males almost always will look like 2 or 3 calyxes right next to each other, even when they first appear. Almost like a penis and two testicles. That's the best way I can describe it to you without looking for pictures. Female calyx, long skinny, just one.. Male, more than 1 usually 3 and they look shorter, like little balls almost.

That male there is about 2 seconds away from popping it's pollen so don't waste any time!

Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter
Also, I'm sorry not trying to tell anyone what to do but if you want a shitload of seeds follow Badmf'ers advice. I wouldn't recommend it. The female buds will still be perfectly smoke-able after you rid them of seeds.. But if you're just starting out growing I'm sure you'll end up with a seed here and there, anyways, as beginner's herms are inevitable. Now a hermaphrodite plant is a female plant that has been stressed too much and is going into "survival" mode, and creating it's own seed without help of a male. This can be caused by numerous mistakes like light leaks, overfeeding, etc. etc. that are bound to happen your first grow. So if you're hoping you'll get a seed or two, I'm sure you will. Without trying.

But stick around and ask as many questions as you can, no matter how small or dumb it may seem. The only stupid question is the one left unasked. We're here to help! Good luck!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

the pollen sacs on that male dont look open but its damn close, if you chop that Male down and get rid of it far away or burn it you should be fine to keep flowering the female. Just keep an eye out for premature pistil browning which could be a sign they were pollinated.

D

Dltbr

Thanks folks it’s seperated and going into the wood stove shortly

Should I dump the soil too ?

I’m in northern mi and planning next month or so on starting a couple to put outside late May early June will that soil and pollen still be troublesome if I use the soil outside ?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Thanks folks it’s seperated and going into the wood stove shortly

Should I dump the soil too ?

I’m in northern mi and planning next month or so on starting a couple to put outside late May early June will that soil and pollen still be troublesome if I use the soil outside ?

The soil should be fine if the pollen sacs didnt open, but I would still toss it because I'm particularily wasteful like that when it comes to protecting my ladies.

D

Dltbr

The soil should be fine if the pollen sacs didnt open, but I would still toss it because I'm particularily wasteful like that when it comes to protecting my ladies.
Thanks and makes sense I just put the soil in my compost pile and thanks to everyone for the comments

Top Bottom