Nft Nutrient Question (do Concentrations)

• Thread starter DGP
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DGP

DGP

I converted my hydro system to a top feed sort of NFT (nutrient Film) style. I have a 27 gallon reservoir and a 500 GPH submersible pump top feeding my plants that are in 6" net pots with hydroton in 5 gallon buckets. The nutrient solution runs continuously feeding to drip rings on top the net pots. The nutrient solution percolates through the hydrton and drips down the roots to some air-stones in the bottom of the buckets. The water then returns to the reservoir through a bottom drain bulkhead fitting (with filters over them) outside the grow room where the res is kept between 62 and 67F.

My understanding is that NFT systems with all the movement and percolation can have rather high dissolved oxygen levels (which should be a really good thing). Some articles say up to 40% DO as opposed to 9-16%DO in DWC. I don't know how accurate this estimate is because there isn't that much oxygen even in "air". Anyway, if the DO levels are significantly higher then wont my nutes/ppm need to be quite a bit lower? I am afraid if the DO is significantly higher I could burn them. Is this something I need to adjust for in my new setup?

I am running at 75-78F in the room with a 4X4 grow area in a 6X4X9' room, LED COBs running 65W per sq/ft (currently running half power cause the plants are still under 8" tall). My ppm is 435 and I am running GH flora 3 part with some cal-mag (Emerald). Ph is about 6.0.

Thanks in advance,

D

DGP

DGP

NFT1
20180115 060540

NFT10
Last edited:
visajoe1

visajoe1

sounds like you're basically running a home made recirculating waterfarm. to answer your question, no, your nute levels arent affected by your air pumps. just keep an eye on ec and ph

Latest posts

Top Bottom