Noob First Grow: Trying To K.i.s.s. Please Advise

• Thread starter Senescent
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Senescent

Background: My first ever grow. I have a solid basic understanding of the cannabis life cycle as well as gardening in general.

- Locality: Massachusetts (USDA zone 5b)
- 4-8 plants from seed, all feminized, 1 auto strain
- Would like to reuse same growing site for years to come
- Popping seeds on Apr. 1st, plan to have them outdoor around middle of May
- Will water by hand daily if needed
- Grow site may have a drainage issue, as the soil there seems very soft.
- Grow site is ~30-40 feet from a small creek
- Grow site should get at least 4-5 hours direct sun
- Summers are generally humid with highs in the low 90's
- Will be using 2 x 4' T5 full spectrum Flourescent lights on seedlings

Questions:
1. I'm not the most experienced green-thumb so I want to transplant as simply and few times as possible. Should I just germinate in solo cups with a "light" (low nutrient) potting soil?

2. Could I just germinate in like a 4" pot so I only have to transplant once?

3. Is there a benefit to planting in ground over containers? Which would you advise for my situation?

4. I don't have a soil yet, so I will be trying to formulate one. Again, trying to keep it simple, so considering getting some screened loam from a local nursery and amending it with some organics, as well as pH buffers, and perhaps some coco-coir and perlite. Any advice on this? Or a simple recipe I can follow for a beginner grow. I don't think I will have much time to "weather" the soil before I use it, maybe a couple weeks, winter weather and temps last until mid march at the earliest.

5. If I do decide to plant in ground, how wide/deep should my holes be? I've read everything from 3 ft wide and 2 ft deep to 5 ft wide and 3 feet deep.

6. How much spacing between plants? One article I read recommended 10 ft from stem to stem, but that takes up a lot of real estate.

Thank you in advance for any feedback, although I'm newly registered, I've lurked for quite some time and I love the community. Glad to be a part of it now.

S

Senescent

61 views and not a single reply with even an ounce of feedback?
Someone with any experience have a single ounce of an opinion on any of my questions?

Dan789

Dan789

From things you’ve mentioned I’m wondering if this is going to be somewhere you may not be monitoring on a daily basis. The likelihood of any measure of success depends on your attention and daily participation, and if it’s a guerrilla grow, that’s the least of your worries.
For a first grow this isn’t where anyone I know would start, that may be why the comments have been slow to arrive.

Top Bottom