*not Cannabis* Well Shit.! Check The Pic.

• Thread starter McNaughty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
McNaughty

McNaughty

So in amongst my spare time i recently threw down some chilli seeds - i know it aint cannabis - just for something different.

Planted way too late last season so minimal chilli, it survived the winter and started to perk back up so i hit it with some seaweed mix rotated with worm tea..
Anyhow noticed its started to flower so i went for a closer look and holy shit..
Look at whats going on here..
Its a complete mish mash of bugs..

See what you can spot.!

Im slightly put off by these guys.. any good fixes considering its in flower?
Or scrap it and focus on the more important plants
Not cannabis well shit check the pic
Not cannabis well shit check the pic 2
Not cannabis well shit check the pic 3

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Aphids, hit it with botanical soap, or any decent organic pest control, neem is fine for peppers As well. I grow Carolina reaper and scotch bonnets along with weed! Use the same stuff across the plants, no issues

Last edited:
McNaughty

McNaughty

Aphids, hitnitnit with botanical soap, or any decent organic pest control, neem is fine for peppers As well. I grow Carolina reaper and scotch bonnets along with weed! Use the same stuff across the plants, no issues

@Jack og thanks for the quick reply mate. Seems you may accidently be my mentor haha. Similar gardening interests as me.. Looking at a wider variety of chilli in a rasied bed down the track.

Not going to lie, i saw the webs and shat for a second thinking spider mites, then while taking the pic saw the little spider hahah..
I noticed all the aphids (hard to miss) and also saw what i assume to be a few "white flys" along with a fungus gnat or two.

Anyone know what the bug in the last photo is?

Im so new to this all that its almost embarassing.

Cheers to any and all, stay safe

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
@Jack og thanks for the quick reply mate. Seems you may accidently be my mentor haha. Similar gardening interests as me.. Looking at a wider variety of chilli in a rasied bed down the track.

Not going to lie, i saw the webs and shat for a second thinking spider mites, then while taking the pic saw the little spider hahah..
I noticed all the aphids (hard to miss) and also saw what i assume to be a few "white flys" along with a fungus gnat or two.

Looks like a Tick? Maybe but I’ll poke around my books to see if i can id it

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
They are adorable. ! Man good cross on those breeds! Spray the yard down with need oil, 1ml to every liter of water with 2 drops of dawn kitchen soap. You can up the ratio if Needsd but repeat very 3 days till you see no more bugs
Pro tip, go to any Indian/ Asian store, they’re all carry pure food grade need oil concentrate for heaps lower then your grow store. I always get the stuff from there, $5 for about a 50-100ml bottle which will make gallons of solution. I’m indo-Fijian

Last edited:
McNaughty

McNaughty

They are adorable. ! Man good cross on those breeds! Spray the yard down with need oil, 1ml to every liter of water with 2 drops of dawn kitchen soap. You can up the ratio if Needsd but repeat very 3 days till you see no more bugs

Cheers Jack. I'll definitely have to do something aggressive if it is a bloody tick..
They are adorable mate but just as evil.. should see how much they have destroyed.. damn puppy teething.
I did buy some eco-neem oil, says its cold pressed, all natural blah blah then reading the directions it says only use on ornamentals not food crop.. not sure whats going on with that, additive maybe?
So i need to find a pure neem or a different food/ pet safe alternative.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Cheers Jack. I'll definitely have to do something aggressive if it is a bloody tick..
They are adorable mate but just as evil.. should see how much they have destroyed.. damn puppy teething.
I did buy some eco-neem oil, says its cold pressed, all natural blah blah then reading the directions it says only use on ornamentals not food crop.. not sure whats going on with that, additive maybe?
So i need to find a pure neem or a different food/ pet safe alternative.
All neem say the same as it’s intended use may not be suitable for food products, I always get the food grade stuff but neem is neem

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Just to be safe, spray and keep pups inside for about 6 hours, 1/2 life is 18hrs on neem also spray early in the am or late pm, cooler temps works it in as it stays on plants longer without drying out

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Looks like a Tick? Maybe but I’ll poke around my books to see if i can id it

Hey guys. That's not a tick. You don't have to worry. Even if you have ticks there are effective ways to keep them off your dogs. We have them pretty bad around this area from all the deer, raccoons, skunks, mice, and rats, and we generally don't have serious problems with them on our dogs when using that drop of sh*t that goes on their neck.

Look to the far left of the pic at the nymph. Look familiar?
20181025 225523

(Audubon N. American Insects field guide)

I think I saw some thrip skins in your pics too.

McNaughty

McNaughty

hahah i must be the only one happy to have bugs on my plant right now (am concerned about transporting them to other grow areas though)
Guess a bit more research of what sprays other than neem that i can use..
Truthfully not surprised i have outside bugs, compost piles and trees and shrubs everywhere in my yard.
@SmithsJunk thanks for the quick response and picture mate. Appreciate it

So much to learn as a beginner. Cheers to everyone for their input

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

hahah i must be the only one happy to have bugs on my plant right now (am concerned about transporting them to other grow areas though)
Guess a bit more research of what sprays other than neem that i can use..
Truthfully not surprised i have outside bugs, compost piles and trees and shrubs everywhere in my yard.
@SmithsJunk thanks for the quick response and picture mate. Appreciate it

So much to learn as a beginner. Cheers to everyone for their input

Here's the pesticides I've used...

Azamax is pretty safe and a chemical derivative of neem. It is one of the more effective pesticides I've used. Nuke Em is super safe but I'm not impressed with it's results. Potassium salts derived from fatty acids is safe but works, meh so-so. Pyrethrins work well and are fairly safe if you follow their guidelines. My favorite and an instant slaughter for any pest I can think of is Triazicide, it is very toxic while drying but safe afterwards. It's also very cheap.

I'd go with Triazicide if you have a month or so till harvest. It saved my girls from Broad Mites, which is amazing because almost nothing works on them. It killed everything, and I mean every every every pest, from the first application. $9 on Amazon for the garden hose attach bottle and $12 at my local hydro store. It is a pyrethrin derivative.

McNaughty

McNaughty

Here's the pesticides I've used...

Azamax is pretty safe and a chemical derivative of neem. It is one of the more effective pesticides I've used. Nuke Em is super safe but I'm not impressed with it's results. Potassium salts derived from fatty acids is safe but works, meh so-so. Pyrethrins work well and are fairly safe if you follow their guidelines. My favorite and an instant slaughter for any pest I can think of is Triazicide, it is very toxic while drying but safe afterwards. It's also very cheap.

I'd go with Triazicide if you have a month or so till harvest. It saved my girls from Broad Mites, which is amazing because almost nothing works on them. It killed everything, and I mean every every every pest, from the first application. $9 on Amazon for the garden hose attach bottle and $12 at my local hydro store. It is a pyrethrin derivative.

@SmithsJunk cheers mate, I've heard of Azamax, unfortunately crazy expensive to get where i am.. have to get it posted from the US.. Cost 2X more in postage than the product. crazy..

Being a newbie I've not heard of "Nuke em" or "Triazicide" but I'll look into them both.. Work must be suspicious after the all the things i google bahaha

Cheers mate. Stay safe

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The last photo looks to be a dog tick, which is gray and larger than a deer tick. Deer ticks are typiccaly smaller and a yellowish/goldish color and are known for carrying lyme disease. The white bugs look to be aphids...white flies look similar but can fly and are found on the undersides of the leaves. Its surprising how much damage they can cause for such a small bug. The white fly is the worst problem in this area, hands down. I quit starting stuff outside as these infestations are a real bitch to get rid of once they get established.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

@SmithsJunk cheers mate, I've heard of Azamax, unfortunately crazy expensive to get where i am.. have to get it posted from the US.. Cost 2X more in postage than the product. crazy..

Being a newbie I've not heard of "Nuke em" or "Triazicide" but I'll look into them both.. Work must be suspicious after the all the things i google bahaha

Cheers mate. Stay safe

I'm pretty sure you can get pyrethrin. I think that's going to be your most effective weapon. I think it kills every type of pest. You should be able to source it locally. I'm barely willing to pay the US price for Azamax. I see no reason to pay 3x our price when you can probably buy pyrethrin and a thermal fogger for less locally.

The last photo looks to be a dog tick, which is gray and larger than a deer tick. Deer ticks are typiccaly smaller and a yellowish/goldish color and are known for carrying lyme disease. The white bugs look to be aphids...white flies look similar but can fly and are found on the undersides of the leaves. Its surprising how much damage they can cause for such a small bug. The white fly is the worst problem in this area, hands down. I quit starting stuff outside as these infestations are a real bitch to get rid of once they get established.

Already identified it as an apple aphid.

McNaughty

McNaughty

Yeah i initially thought tick in a panic because of my pups but the fellas here helped with an id.
Though ticks are something i have to keep a close watch for..

I hear ya on starts outside, seems anything that attempts to grow outside is like a magnet for bugs..
My being so new to gardening in general i never knew how many and just how small these garden bug bastards can be. Also the damage they can do.. Makes me wish my old nan was still alive to ask her, she could plant a dead stick and make it grow healthy again.

I'm pretty sure you can get pyrethrin. I think that's going to be your most effective weapon. I think it kills every type of pest. You should be able to source it locally. I'm barely willing to pay the US price for Azamax. I see no reason to pay 3x our price when you can probably buy pyrethrin and a thermal fogger for less locally.

Already identified it as an apple aphid.

Cheers mate, yes postage is an absolute killer.. I do keep seeing this "pyrethrin" pop up in almost everything I've been reading. I'm going to have to give it a crack..
The neem doesnt look like its done anything. Maybe knocked a few off but sprayed last night and this afternoon wjen i looked, was still very easy to flip a few leaves and spot aphids..
Never heard of a thermal fogger, something i need to look up

Top Bottom