Nutrients to help bulk or trichomes?

• Thread starter CINDARELLA99
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I don't think its just about starving the plant, but when you cause stress through drought-like conditions, or other ways, it is known to increase resin production because the plant will do that on its own to help protect its flowers and increase the chance of being fertilized to procreate. Genetics also have alot to do with trichome productions, but stressing the plant for the last few days or a week can help.

Good move on letting the Blueberry cure, it works for all buds, but that strain in particular has such a distinct smell I love, when it cures for a while its amazing, IMO. Good luck with your next grow!!

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

Make sure you use a MH bulb for the last 2 weeks of flowering. It'll increase trich production and potenty. If your using air cooled hoods you need to take the glass out and figure other ways to keep your room cool. The glass will absorb all of the valuable UV light that the metal halide bulb emits and that's what's gonna give you that extra boost in the end. Hope its not too late. Good luck :)

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Make sure you use a MH bulb for the last 2 weeks of flowering. It'll increase trich production and potenty. If your using air cooled hoods you need to take the glass out and figure other ways to keep your room cool. The glass will absorb all of the valuable UV light that the metal halide bulb emits and that's what's gonna give you that extra boost in the end. Hope its not too late. Good luck :)

well this is all strange ^^^^^^^^ I do not recommend you do any of what ^^^^ said. :banghead:

GR4ya

If you want to run a MH with your HPS that's OK but to swap it out, no that will not work well, where do they get the blue from??? No No No

Take the glass out, next thing your going to say is take the glass off the bulb. Rubbish, the glass used is just plain old float glass, nothing special about it. OMG

Specialty glass for homes and buildings yes but glass for our use not a chance.

salmonslammer

salmonslammer

I dont know if you have a dehumidifier but if you drop your relative humidity [rh] down to 45% the last 2 weeks of flower will certainly help with trichomes and as far as terpenes are concerned one word Budswell just my 2 cents :D

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

well this is all strange ^^^^^^^^ I do not recommend you do any of what ^^^^ said. :banghead:

View attachment 348119

If you want to run a MH with your HPS that's OK but to swap it out, no that will not work well, where do they get the blue from??? No No No

Take the glass out, next thing your going to say is take the glass off the bulb. Rubbish, the glass used is just plain old float glass, nothing special about it. OMG

Are you an idiot? There is far more blue light spectrum in metal halide bulbs than HPS. High pressure sodium are mainly red and far red spectrum. You can literally see the difference with the naked eye..... NOOB

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

View attachment 348119

To further debunk your claim of knowledge I shall now explain to you why the glass WILL STOP the UV-B light from passing through, and I will site my source.

"Normal glass (as used in windows) is transparent to UV radiation up to a wavelength of about 330 nm (or UV-A light). The transparency is quite high so almost all UV-A light will pass through glass. Below 330 nm (UV-B and UV-C), almost 100% is block by normal glass"

You even said yourself about the hood glass, "nothing special about it" and this information I have provided is referring to regular glass.

This information was found at https://www.iuva.org/uv-faqs This website is the "International Ultraviolet Association" and im not sure what your credentials are, but theirs are rather bold......n00b

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

I must add that I left something out earlier, there are many types of UV light, the specific wavelength of UV light that is desired is UV-B. The UV-B is what will increase trich production, and potency. :)

Cassy

Cassy

I have been switching out my hps for mh for quite some time with excellent results, last two weeks and leave them in for two weeks of veg on my next round. I don't use any glass in my sun system II's so i can't say if there is a difference but i can say the trich production is above and beyond what a run with straight hps can produce.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

My mistake I should have said red, blue is for veg, as I said using a MH will work but is not the way to go. A combination of HPS and MH is great but on it's own MH is for veg. Don't take my word just visit any lighting site and all your answers are there including using glass to enclose the bulb.

By the way you do know that outside the total uv is only .6% of total light given off by the sun. All light manufactures recommend you run bulbs in an enclosed fixture.

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

My mistake I should have said red, blue is for veg, as I said using a MH will work but is not the way to go. A combination of HPS and MH is great but on it's own MH is for veg. Don't take my word just visit any lighting site and all your answers are there including using glass to enclose the bulb.

By the way you do know that outside the total uv is only .6% of total light given off by the sun. All light manufactures recommend you run bulbs in an enclosed fixture.

I have never seen any lighting companies suggest to run bulbs in an enclosed fixture, especially lighting companies specializing in indoor gardening. Please cite your sources.
Metal halide lights were originally promoted as the light to use during veg, but now it is generally recognized that's plants grow just as well under HPS. Metal halide produce less amount of light than HPS. metal halides average about 100,000 lumens while a HPS averaging 150,000 lumens. More light more growth. And this is why you only use metal halide the last two weeks, this way the plant gets grown to its potential. You get the full bush you want. Now that its nice and big from all that light you get from your HPS lights its time to switch to metal halide to RIPEN your nugs. There is less total light so less growth, but thats ok because its done growing, its time to Sugarcoat those fat nugs and thats what the metal halide will do with the UV-B light. And again you can NOT use glass in your vented hood or else it will absorb the UV-B light that is needed to increase potency and trichome Production (cited source in earlier post)

The information I have provided you has been obtained in "Ed Rosenthals Marijuana Growers Handbook" Pages 114, 115, and 116

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

I have been switching out my hps for mh for quite some time with excellent results, last two weeks and leave them in for two weeks of veg on my next round. I don't use any glass in my sun system II's so i can't say if there is a difference but i can say the trich production is above and beyond what a run with straight hps can produce.
My current grow is going to be my first in which im going to be using MH last two weeks of flower and been doing lots of research and have heard plenty of testimony to know how solid the claim is. Im super excited to see how much better my meds are going to be this time around. :)

Cassy

Cassy

My current grow is going to be my first in which im going to be using MH last two weeks of flower and been doing lots of research and have heard plenty of testimony to know how solid the claim is. Im super excited to see how much better my meds are going to be this time around. :)

You'll never look back. :D

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Here you go

Please define: "must use an enclosed fixture". How do I know if my fixture is enclosed? I am interested in using your Metal Halide "Blue" 400W bulb, in a "water cooling" Hydroreflector. I was planning to NOT set up the water cooling for a couple more months, and I was planning to use the fixture initially with the end caps off to allow passive air flow on each end (unvented). Is this considered Enclosed? Thank-you.

An enclosed fixture is required when running most Metal Halide lamps. It is required as a precaution in the rare occurrence that the lamp may explode. If the lamp explodes in an enclosed fixture, all the contents will stay inside the fixture and not enter your garden.

An enclosed fixture will have a glass lens that will encase you lamp inside the fixture. Most fixtures have the ability to remove the lens. Make sure you are using the lens anytime you use a Metal Halide lamp.
Category: Choosing The Right Product, Best Practices

- See more at:

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

METAL HALIDE & HIGH PRESSURE SODIUM DISCHARGE LAMPS
  • ANSI Type E = Enclosed Fixture Required ( these are the bulbs we buy for hydro stores, why they are cheap, no safety features )
    Lamps that are enclosed fixture rated should only be operated in an enclosed fixture that safely contains all lamp parts in the event of a lamp burst or rupture. These lamps operate at a high internal pressure and at high temperatures which can emit harmful ultraviolet light if the outer glass bulb is broken. A lamp may burst causing physical injury and property damage unless protective safety glass is used with the fixture. Use fixture that meets requirements per UL standard #1572.
  • ANSI Type O = Open Fixture Rated
    Lamps that are open fi xture rated are suitable for operation in open fi xture designs. These types of lamps typically feature UV protective quartz and
    a secondary shroud surrounding the arc tube to prevent the scatter of glass in the event of a burst.
  • Metal Halide discharge lamps can emit ultraviolet radiation that may be harmful to eyes and skin. Metal Halide discharge lamps that are not open fixture rated, should only be used in enclosed fixtures with ultraviolet absorbing filter glass. Do not operate these lamps if the ultraviolet absorbing filter glass is broken or not installed.
  • Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium discharge lamps should only be operated with the compatible ballast, rated fixture (open/closed, wattage), and socket. (See lamp specification page for ballast information.) PulseStrike™ pulse start Metal Halide lamps require a 4000 volt pulse rated socket. High Pressure Sodium lamps require a 4000 volt pulse rated socket.
  • Only operate the lamp in its designated operating position. (See lamp specification page for lamp operation position)
  • Metal Halide lamps should be turned off for a minimum of 15 minutes per week.
  • Lamps should never be operated beyond their rated useful life. The risk of a lamp burst increases with lamp age, temperature, improper operation and improper handling. Replace the lamp at or before the end of its rated life. Group relamping is always recommended.
  • Never bump, drop, apply excessive stress, or scratch the lamp. This could cause the lamp to burst! Do not operate any lamps with any traces of scratches, cracks, or physical damage.
  • Never operate a lamp above or below its rated current or voltage. This may cause the lamp to leak or burst.
  • Always turn off the electrical power before inserting, removing, or cleaning the lamp.
  • Clean any dirt, oil, or lint away from the lamp with alcohol and a lint-free cloth or tissue. Dirt or other contaminants will affect light output and may cause the lamp to overheat and decrease lamp life.
  • Electrical connections should be clean and in good condition. Replace lamp holders and sockets when needed. Affix the lamp securely in the socket. Improper installations will cause electrical arcing, overheating and short life to lamp and socket.
  • Never touch the lamp when it is on, or soon after it has been turned off, as it is hot and will cause serious burns. Lamps should be allowed to cool for a minimum of ten (10) minutes after the lamp is turned off.
  • Do not use lamp in close proximity of paper, cloth or other combustible material that can cause a fire hazard.
  • Do not look directly at the operating lamp for any period of time; this may cause serious eye injury.
  • Metal Halide discharge lamps contain mercury. USHIO strives to preserve the environment and make efficient use of resources. Please refer to your local environmental laws regarding disposal and recycling of mercury containing lamps. For more information, please go to www.lamprecycle.org

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

USA Food and Drug A

http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingProducts/RadiationSafety/AlertsandNotices/ucm116540.htm

Ultraviolet Radiation Burns from High Intensity Metal Halide and Mercury Vapor Lighting Remain a Public Health Concern

Notice to Schools and Other Indoor, All-Purpose Facilities Where Light Bulbs are Subject to Damage

Broken and unshielded high intensity metal halide and mercury vapor light bulbs continue to cause eye and skin injuries, particularly in school gymnasiums. To prevent these incidents from recurring, FDA recommends the following in schools and other indoor, all-purpose facilities where the light bulbs may be broken:
  • replacement of open or wire grid fixtures with enclosed fixtures, or​
  • replacement of non-self extinguishing “R” type high intensity metal halide and mercury vapor light bulbs used in open or wire grid fixtures with self-extinguishing “T” type light bulbs.​
The 2005 National Electrical Code addresses high intensity metal halide and mercury vapor light bulbs installed in newly constructed or renovated indoor sports or all-purpose facilities. Because the bulbs in such areas are subject to physical damage, they must be installed in fixtures that are fully enclosed by a lens of glass or plastic to protect the bulb from breakage.
The best way to reduce the risk of burns is to use fully-enclosed fixtures or self-extinguishing “T” type mercury vapor light bulbs in facilities where the public can be exposed to the ultraviolet (UV) radiation from a broken bulb.
Background

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently learned that more than 100 people were exposed to short-wave UV radiation from a broken mercury vapor light bulb at a high school gym. Eighteen people went to the hospital with severe eye and skin burns. Personnel investigating the event confirmed that a broken, non self-extinguishing "R" type metal halide bulb caused the injuries.
Similar incidents have been reported in the past involving “R” type light bulbs installed in open and wire grid fixtures. Most injuries have occurred inside school gyms, after the light bulbs were struck and partially broken by balls or other sports equipment. FDA is not aware of any incidents involving “T” type light bulbs, or involving light bulbs installed in fixtures fully enclosed by glass or plastic.
What are Halide and Mercury Vapor Light Bulbs?

Metal halide and mercury vapor bulbs are bright, long-lasting sources of light, most often used to light streets, gyms, sports arenas, banks, and stores. The bulbs have an inner quartz tube, containing the mercury vapor discharge, enclosed by an outer glass bulb that filters out harmful short-wavelength UV radiation. If the outer bulb breaks and the inner tube continues to operate unshielded, intense UV radiation is emitted. UV exposure at this level can cause eye and skin burns, as well as blurred or double vision, headaches, and nausea.
Types of halide and mercury vapor light bulbs sold in the U.S. include:
  • “T” type light bulbs with a self-extinguishing feature that shuts off the light within 15 minutes after the outer bulb is broken. “T” type light bulbs may be used in either open fixtures or enclosed fixtures. FDA requires packaging for “T” type light bulbs to include the following statement:
    “This lamp should self-extinguish within 15 minutes after the outer envelope is broken or punctured. If such damage occurs, TURN OFF AND REMOVE LAMP to avoid possible injury from hazardous shortwave ultraviolet radiation.”​
  • “R” type light bulbs are not self-extinguishing. “R” type light bulbs should only be installed in light fixtures that are fully enclosed by a lens of glass or plastic to shield people from the UV radiation, or in areas where people will not be exposed to UV radiation if the outer bulb breaks. FDA requires packaging for “R” type light bulbs to include the following statement:
    "WARNING: This lamp can cause serious skin burns and eye inflammation from shortwave ultraviolet radiation if outer envelope of the lamp is broken or punctured. Do not use where people will remain more than a few minutes unless adequate shielding or other safety precautions are used. Lamps that will automatically extinguish when the outer envelope is broken are commercially available."​
Precautions for Facilities that Use Metal Halide and Mercury Vapor Lighting

All schools and other indoor, all-purpose facilities using metal halide and mercury vapor lighting should inspect both the light bulb and the fixture on a regular basis to ensure that they are not broken. With the light fixture turned off,
  • Check the light fixture. Replace any fixture that is damaged. Damaged, open fixtures, or fixtures with wire guards DO NOT protect the bulb from breakage and will not protect the public from UV radiation.​
  • Check the bulbs. Replace any light bulbs that are missing, broken, or punctured.​
  • Ensure light bulbs are installed in appropriate fixtures. Self-extinguishing “T” type light bulbs should be installed in open fixtures or fixtures with wire guards. Non self-extinguishing “R” type light bulbs should only be installed in light fixtures that fully enclose the light bulb and have a lens of glass or plastic to protect the light bulb from breakage and protect the public from UV radiation.​
  • School supervisors should make sure that those responsible for the maintenance of these lighting systems fully understand the manufacturer’s warnings on product packaging, as well as Federal, State, and local guidelines to reduce the risks associated with these products.​
If a metal halide or mercury vapor light bulb is broken during use,
  • TURN OFF THE LIGHT IMMEDIATELY.
  • Move people out of the area as quickly as possible.​
  • Advise people exposed to the damaged bulb to see a doctor if symptoms of skin burns or eye irritation occur.​
  • Report injuries from damaged light bulbs to the bulb manufacturer, your state health department, and the nearest FDA district office.​
  • Check to make sure the light fixture is turned off before replacing the damaged light bulb. It is important to retain the broken bulb to identify the bulb type and manufacturer, and to assist with any investigation conducted after the incident.​
The National Electrical Manufacturer’s Association (NEMA) web site contains:
For more information please visit the FDA's web site about high intensity mercury vapor lighting.​

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Metal Halide 101
Proper Use of Metal Halide Lamps
Correct Operation And Cautions For Discharge Lamps
High intensity discharge lamps require auxiliary equipment (ballasts, capacitors, ignitors, and/or power supplies) to provide the correct electrical values for starting and operation. This auxiliary equipment must meet all electrical specifications outlined by ANSI (American National Standards Institute). Venture Lighting International will not be responsible for poor performance, property damage, or personal injury from lamps operating on unauthorized auxiliary equipment, or from lamps being operated in a manner inconsistent with their design.
Power should always be turned off and preferably locked out in accordance with OSHA guidelines whenever installation, removal or maintenance is performed on lighting systems. Always use safety glasses and gloves when installing or removing HID lamps. Replacement lamps should be screwed in firmly, but not with undue pressure, into appropriate lamp sockets. This will avoid loosening due to vibration.
Scratches on the outer envelope, direct contact with water, or excessive pressure can cause these lamps to break. If the outer jacket should break, immediately turn the power off. Do not remove a lamp until it has completely cooled and replace it with a new Venture lamp. Immediately turn the power off if an outer envelope is broken to prevent injury that may be caused by ultraviolet radiation from an unjacketed HID lamp.
HID lamps and their arc tubes operate at extremely high temperatures and may shatter as a result of misapplication, system failure, or other factors. This type of failure may release extremely hot glass and lamp parts into the surrounding environment, causing a risk of fire, personal injury, or property damage. It is imperative for users of HID lamps to use good judgment and common sense for placement of these lamps, in anticipation of potential violent failures. In areas susceptible to contamination by flying glass, where flammable materials are present, or there is a possibility of personnel injury, users should seek additional protective measures. In these cases, the user should install Venture open fixture rated lamps and/or use enclosed fixtures even if the lamp type does not require this type of fixture.
Starting and Restarting Characteristics
When using the proper auxiliary equipment, standard metal halide lamps will start at an ambient temperature of -30 degrees C (-22 F). Full light output does not occur when power is first applied to cold metal halide lamps; there is a time delay of 2 to 4 minutes before lamps reach 90% of their full light output.
Venture’s exclusive Uni-Form formed body arc tube provides faster warm-up and hot re-strikein 60% less time. The external ignitor and the Uni-Form formed body arc tube combine to allow better starting in colder conditions, down to -40°C.
After lamps have started, if there is a power interruption of 1/2 a cycle (1/120th of a second) or more, the lamps may go out and not restart when power is reapplied. It takes several minutes before an arc can be re-established by a standard ballast and/or ignitor. The exact time is dependent on a number of factors including lamp wattage, ballast and/or ignitor characteristics, ambient temperature, fixture dimensions, and supply voltage. As with initial starting, several minutes are required before full light output can be achieved. The time needed to establish full light output can be as short as 5 minutes and as long as 15 - 20 minutes. In general, the use of ignitors and/or special ballasts will dramatically decrease the time for hot restart. See chart on ballast characteristics.

Metal Halide vs. High Pressure Sodium
Metal halide lighting differs from High Pressure Sodium (HPS) in the color and quality of light delivered. Metal halide is a highly efficient light source capable of delivering a white light in the range of 2700 to 5500 Kelvin with typical CRIs in the mid-60s to mid-70s. Some lamp chemistries even obtain CRIs in the 80s. In contrast, high pressure sodium lamps yield yellow lighting (2200K) and have a very poor color rendering index of 22.
HPS lamps are available in color-corrected versions that shorten their life and only slightly improve color temperature. Even with greatly improved CRIs, the color temperature still delivers yellow light. This color limitation is present because the HPS lamp generates light through the excitation of sodium. Metal halide lamps, on the other hand, generate light through the excitation of 2 to 5 different chemicals in the arc tube. In addition, the exclusive Uni-Form formed body arc tube is a newly-designed, compact light source sculpted to follow the physical shape of the arc itself. The precise geometry of this unique arc tube, accurately reproducible from lamp to lamp, produces a metal halide lamp of greater efficiency, improved color uniformity, and longer life.
By varying the blend of chemicals in the arc tube, metal halide engineers are able to alter the characteristics of the light output. This flexibility in design makes metal halide so versatile. White light is a very important attribute of metal halide technology, because it is the closest to the natural sunlight that people prefer.
A number of independent research projects compare each option under low light levels and provide solid, reliable information to support the concept that the color of light strongly influences human perception. In fact, the sensitivity of the eye to different colors determines the true or effective lumen output of a lamp. The visual effectiveness of white metal halide light with a high blue/green content is shown to increase in reduced light while it decreases for the yellow light of sodium sources.
High pressure sodium has been used for years in less color critical applications such as parking lot and roadway lighting. Applications more sensitive to color have used metal halide. The availability of lower wattage metal halide lamps and the revolutionary Uni-Form pulse start system technology has greatly increased its application in indoor and outside commercial and industrial environments. Many applications, such as security and parking garage lighting, now use metal halide instead of HPS. HPS is used today mainly in areas where color temperature and color rendition are less important (i.e. warehouses, street lighting, security lighting). Metal halide is applicable in a wide range of commercial, industrial and municipal spaces and offers an excellent quality of light.
Studies show that people generally prefer to work and live in a white light environment, a fact that itself explains the dramatic shift toward metal halide.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

http://www.ecmag.com/section/lighting/safeguarding-against-shattering

Click To View Full Size
Safeguarding Against Shattering

Avoiding Metal Halide Lamp Ruptures

Published: January 2009
By Craig DiLouie

Metal halide lamps occasionally fail "non-passively" at end of life, which may cause hot quartz elements to be ejected from the light fixture, presenting a fire risk.
Although more than 100 million metal halide lamps have been used over the past 10 years in the United States, there have been few cases of ruptured lamps producing property damage claims, according to the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA).
To help further reduce risk, NEMA recently revised LSD25-2008, “Best Practices for Metal Halide Lighting Systems Plus Q&A About Lamp Ruptures in Metal Halide Lighting Systems,” a detailed white paper about how to choose, operate and maintain metal halide systems with special emphasis on minimizing risk of lamp rupture.
Reducing the fire risk associated with lamp rupture means using enclosed light fixtures, Type-O lamps or both. The 2005 National Electrical Code (NEC) requires that all fixtures using metal halide lamps—except for thick-glass PAR lamps—either be enclosed (and use Type-E, Type-S or Type-O lamps) or, if open, have some type of mechanism ensuring that only Type-O lamps can be used in them.
Enclosed fixtures feature some type of protective lens or shielding that can completely contain the effects of a non-passive lamp failure. Type-O lamps are protected lamps, typically for 175–1,500W sizes, that have additional containment around the arc tube. They feature a special base (EX39), so they can only operate in compatible special sockets.
As more states adopt newer versions of the NEC, and as existing installations are gradually replaced or renovated, these solutions are slowly becoming the norm.
Type-E lamps are limited to use in enclosed fixtures, Type-S lamps may be used in either open or enclosed fixtures. To determine the type of lamp, check the ANSI code printed on it—e.g., M59/E. If the fixture is listed, lamping and relamping information—specific lamp wattage and lamp type—is provided on a fixture label and may be included on an instruction sheet that comes with the fixture.
In new construction projects (requiring an electrical permit) where the 2005 or 2008 NEC is not in effect (about 11 states as of June 2008), or in existing installations anywhere, Type-S lamps in open fixtures are likely to be encountered due to a lower lamp initial cost, higher fixture efficiency and shorter restrike times. These are more common in high-bay applications, as low-bay metal halide fixtures typically feature a lens to reduce direct glare. Limited to the vertical operating position and 360–1,000W sizes, these lamps are rated for use in open fixtures provided the manufacturer instructions are followed to the letter.
In such applications, NEMA offers guidelines for minimizing rupture risk.
Fixture placement: Avoid placing open fixtures with Type-S lamps over flammable materials or vice versa if the fixtures are already installed. For example, fixtures in warehouses should be located in the center of the aisles.
Maintenance: Users should pay attention and follow lamp and fixture manufacturer warnings and instructions related to safety and maintenance. For example, group relamping is recommended and should occur at the time recommended by the lamp maker. If the lamps in an installation run 24/7, they should be “cycled,” meaning they should be turned off for at least 15 minutes at least once per week. Special cycling controllers (such as time clocks) can be installed in both new and existing installations to provide cycling. Note that standard metal halide lamps take 12–20 minutes to hot-restrike, while pulse-start metal halide lamps take 1–2 minutes.
Fixtures: The fixture should be listed to UL 1598 or CSA C22.2 No. 250.0 by an accredited third-party testing lab. It should not be used in applications where the ambient temperature exceeds the fixture’s temperature rating (usually 25°C or 77°F, unless the fixture is designed and rated for higher temperatures). Ensure all components are installed properly, particularly the lens if the fixture is an enclosed fixture. If an existing fixture has a damaged lens, the lens should be replaced immediately. If the owner wants to add a protective lens to an existing open fixture, consult the manufacturer to ensure proper containment of a lamp rupture and maintenance of components within approved temperature limits.
Ballasts: The ballast should comply with UL 1029 or CSA 22.2 No. 74.0. Ensure the ballast is designed to provide the required lamp wattage. If dimming is required, NEMA recommends the lamp not be dimmed below 50 percent of rated power to avoid degradation of service life and performance as well as possibly voiding the lamp warranty. NEMA also suggests the lamps be operated at full power for at least 15 minutes before dimming (unless a voltage interruption extinguishes the lamp and then the lamp is restarted, in which case 30 minutes is recommended).
Download the revised LSD25-2008 Best Practices for Metal Halide Lighting Systems for free at www.nema.org.
Thanks to Edward Yandek, manager, Industry Standards for GE Consumer & Industrial Lighting for his assistance in developing this article.
- See more at: http://www.ecmag.com/section/lighting/safeguarding-against-shattering#sthash.C41SMJsv.dpuf

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

and the list goes on

GE Lighting
Philips
Hortilux
Venture Lighting
Ushio

but I think you get the idea, anyway using a MH with a HPS is a great idea, but just using a MH is not the best. If all you have is a MH than yes, use what you have but that's another story, time to smoke.

Thanks I learned a lot more about lighting.

Peace

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

and the list goes on

GE Lighting
Philips
Hortilux
Venture Lighting
Ushio

but I think you get the idea, anyway using a MH with a HPS is a great idea, but just using a MH is not the best. If all you have is a MH than yes, use what you have but that's another story, time to smoke.

Thanks I learned a lot more about lighting.

Peace
I have never heard of a bulb exploding before without spraying it with water. And I have accidentally sprayed a hps with a spray bottle and I have even accidentally dropped my 400 watt, wing reflector and all onto the ground from 5 feet in the air with it turned on and didnt break. I can guarantee that you have a better chance of the DEA busting down your door than your lamp exploding. How often do you hear about raids? And now how often do you hear about your buddies grow lights exploding? And if your gonna out weight the risks you might as well not grow if your not going to grow the best herb you possibly can, with the most current up to date techniques. Just sayin, im sure youve been growing for years, founds a way to grow decent weed, and never aspired to learn the deeper, more scientific aspect of it. "Marijuana Growers Handbook" by "Dr. Ed Rosenthal" buy this book, you can thank me later.
Aside from all this rubbish the main focus of our debate is about metal halide and hps usage. I have given nothing but heavy facts and legitimate sources to back my claims. And even Cassy said that the metal halide last two weeks is the method she uses with favorable results. But like i said,i have used facts in my argument Rather than simply repeating my claim over and over. Can you please explain to me the science behind your words? Its not right of you to so strongly push inaccurate information onto people. Especially when you cant explain what you boast.

Cassy

Cassy

This is copied from your copied and pasted dribble

"Metal halide is a highly efficient light source capable of delivering a white light in the range of 2700 to 5500 Kelvin"

so why is this light source not able to accomplish what the op asked in the original post?

Top Bottom