Octa Bubblers drain to waist DIY guide to setting up a watering system the way Jack does it..

• Thread starter JACKMAYOFFER
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mrduke

Jack - are you running straight coco ? have yo tried cutting it with perlite or a chow mix type? what are your thoughts on useing mixes like those? I ask cause i'm getting ready to revamp my room changing from coco F&D to a drip recirc. in 5g smart pots.

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
Why do you use the sprinkler valve and timer? you plug in your pump then hit the timer switch to feed?
Maybe I am missing something. Are you using the timers zones for multiple beds??
Does seem to be needed if your just pressing a button. Why not just use a power strip and turn on the switch the pump. Saves time money and makes things alot less complicated.

Good points. IMHO, the problem is lazy people not pumps or timers. Life happens and then you can't make it to the op at the same time each day. Smart growers spend more time with there girls and use automating tasks to there advantage. Work Smarter and you get more done in less time. All depends on people work ethic. Obviously you got that down.

Thanks for sharing
The sprinkler timer is used for a couple different reasons First it allows us to know the exact amount of water that is being feed to each row we will do a feed and time it once we have 5 to 10 % run off we know how long we need to water each row. So we set the timer for example a 20 light room with 10- 4x8 trays will need 100 gallons to feed the entire room.Each row is then watered for 1 minute at a time then the next row for 1 minute and so on this allows us to work well the plants are being watered and test run off. A sprinkler timer is not necessary it just keeps us from over or under watering We could manually open up the sprinkler control valve and we have before but the watering times are never exact.Then when we want to flush we just up the watering time to 2 min each row all done with the sprinkler timer. It is really simple to wire a sprinkler controller no electricen needed there are 2 wires and the timer itself plugs into a 120 v outlet..
thanks for the info Jack, love the set up, and them trunks, bet you only veg for a week aswell? mack
we veg rite around 10 to 14 days ..
Jack, how many gallons are the 3 black chem-tainers in the pic ? Are those the Brine Tanks that are listed on their web-site.....thank
360 gallon open top Chemtainers They are way bigger then needed it just allows us to always have RO ready. Two of them hold RO and the third holds nutrient. When we need RO in our nutrient tank we just transfer over from the two tanks....JACK

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
The sprinkler timer is used for a couple different reasons First it allows us to know the exact amount of water that is being feed to each row we will do a feed and time it once we have 5 to 10 % run off we know how long we need to water each row. So we set the timer for example a 20 light room with 10- 4x8 trays will need 100 gallons to feed the entire room.Each row is then watered for 1 minute at a time then the next row for 1 minute and so on this allows us to work well the plants are being watered and test run off. A sprinkler timer is not necessary it just keeps us from over or under watering We could manually open up the sprinkler control valve and we have before but the watering times are never exact.Then when we want to flush we just up the watering time to 2 min each row all done with the sprinkler timer. It is really simple to wire a sprinkler controller no electricen needed there are 2 wires and the timer itself plugs into a 120 v outlet..

Seems like the manual part would be turning on the pump. You did not mention wiring a pump start relay so that was confusing me on how that was handled.

Got it, The timer is needed for the exact timing of feeds and switching the feed to each row
I built a similar system, I originally purchased the same timer your using, but returned it after reading the instructions. Did not have the control over exact times of multiple feeds, if my memory serves me correct also could not control multiple master valves.

Thanks for sharing

M

mrduke

Hey led is there any place to buy a relay thats already to go for this purpose? it sound so much easier and safer than just a timer on the pump.

nuttso

nuttso

check the video. I like the vortex, but the other are good too. wan't to setup an 4x4 600 watt gavita grow in coco beds. how much gallon's coco you use bro? any other ideas how i can make a bed except smart pots? already got an 4x4 tray. btw. you are running the aptus line right now. bro try Aptus and Hy-pro or metrop as base.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Hey led is there any place to buy a relay thats already to go for this purpose? it sound so much easier and safer than just a timer on the pump.
here you can purchase em and they also have the instructions on wiring one up. very easy to do.

DrCALIGREENTHUM

DrCALIGREENTHUM

yo jack how many octa bubblers are you able to run with that 3/4 pump or better yet how many 4x4's can you control with it?

HG23

HG23

Hey Jack,
Do you normally remove the washer from the octa bubbler right away when you set this system up? I've been trying to find a deal on the fan jets, they're tough to find online and Green Coast's website doesn't list them. I see in the pic you posted the bag says 45.95 for 25, is that just the sprinkler heads minus the stakes, risers and tophats? Also do you recommend I call one of the GC stores in particular or just hit up the 800 number? I tried emailing them with the part number in your pic asking for assistance and haven't heard back yet. Thanks man, I'm looking forward to setting these up. Any info you can offer about how much pressure you need to run them would also be appreciated, does the 3/4 hp pump feed one 4 x 8 table at a time when you water?

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
yo jack how many octa bubblers are you able to run with that 3/4 pump or better yet how many 4x4's can you control with it?
You can water 1 tabel all the way up to 5 -4x8 tabels so for exampel a room with 5 rows in each row there are 5 -4x8 tabels each row of 5- 4x8 tabels gets watered then after 1 minute the next and so on.The black sprinkler control valve is what splits the beds into zones typically 5 tabels or less per zone. So basiclly you can run as many Octa bubblers as you need with 1 pump just not all at one time.
Hey Jack,
Do you normally remove the washer from the octa bubbler right away when you set this system up? I've been trying to find a deal on the fan jets, they're tough to find online and Green Coast's website doesn't list them. I see in the pic you posted the bag says 45.95 for 25, is that just the sprinkler heads minus the stakes, risers and tophats? Also do you recommend I call one of the GC stores in particular or just hit up the 800 number? I tried emailing them with the part number in your pic asking for assistance and haven't heard back yet. Thanks man, I'm looking forward to setting these up. Any info you can offer about how much pressure you need to run them would also be appreciated, does the 3/4 hp pump feed one 4 x 8 table at a time when you water?
Just call Green Coast thats not the price bro If we had to all pay what the bottle or package said at Hydro shops we would all be bankrupt...And yes the pack is the steak, Mushroom top, sprayer, So basicly all you need besides that is the Octa Bubbler . I do not remove the blue washer unless I need more flow it takes 2 seconds so try it with it first. JACK

N

naturalmedicine

Hey Jack, thanks for all the detailed info. Your rooms are ridiculous! What type of RO system do you use?

N

naturalmedicine

Oh yeah, one more thing, I read that you re-use your coco and your Roots Organic. Do you amend the Roots Organic or does your nutrient lineup contain everything needed?

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
Hey Jack, thanks for all the detailed info. Your rooms are ridiculous! What type of RO system do you use?
Hydro Logic Evolutin 1000 gallons per day.
Oh yeah, one more thing, I read that you re-use your coco and your Roots Organic. Do you amend the Roots Organic or does your nutrient lineup contain everything needed?
Depends on how many runs but with the nutrien line up
we run no need to re amend but each run we usually add a bag or two to each bed for the little bit of soil lost when we pull out the roots..JACK

N

naturalmedicine

Hydro Logic Evolutin 1000 gallons per day.
Depends on how many runs but with the nutrien line up
we run no need to re amend but each run we usually add a bag or two to each bed for the little bit of soil lost when we pull out the roots..JACK

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you use the Pre-Evolution also or just the Evolution 1000? Does the Evolution 1000 remove chlorine and chloramines?

xrob415x

xrob415x

Hey bro nice set up. Im currently setting up coco beds with the geoplanters 4x8. These geoplanters are nice, they come already rigged with pcv so its super easy to throw up nets. And they are really cheap I got them for like $60 per 4x8! I was inspired to do this setup by you. Im using 2x 300 gal res, one with R/O and the other with nutes. Then im rockin shrubblers 32 per 4x8 tray. Are you using sprayers or shrubbers. I like these shrubblers because they are pressure compensated and are suppose to get extremely even water distribution. I am putting a intelidose automatic ph'er in the nute res and am currently looking for a good way to mix/aggitate the water. Do you use anything to keep the solution well mixed? Do you think its necessary? In my res usually the ph changes after I mix it for a couple minutes. Keep up the good work Im excited to hear a response!!

xrob415x

xrob415x

O yea one more thing. That filter that you are using ( im guessing sediment filter) in the first pics. How necessary do you think those are? Someone I met that works at a commercial irrigation store in the central valley said those filters can interfere with your nute solution, I guess take certain elements out. Any thoughts or problems with this?

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
Those sprinkler control valves only run at 12 or 24 volts, which is one more reason he needs to use the sprinler CONTROLLER. Also, the sprinkler controller has a relay that runs the pump at the same exact time it activates the control valve, which makes the whole system run flawlessly.
Nice thread, Jack!

SweetTooth

SweetTooth

Those sprinkler control valves only run at 12 or 24 volts, which is one more reason he needs to use the sprinler CONTROLLER. Also, the sprinkler controller has a relay that runs the pump at the same exact time it activates the control valve, which makes the whole system run flawlessly.
Nice thread, Jack!

You can use a doorbell transformer to knock down to 12 or 24v

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Hey Jack.... when you store you RO water like that, what temp do you keep it at?

Top Bottom