Octa Bubblers drain to waist DIY guide to setting up a watering system the way Jack does it..

• Thread starter JACKMAYOFFER
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Wo wo wo! Fuck I'm not understanding how all this works. Got my pvc pipe some fittings 4 Silinoids. I need to get my controller still but wanted to get the system started.
How does your pump connect to the watering system, do I have to run the pump on its own timer?
Is this system ran in a loop back to the res. Until a Silinoid is open?

Natural

Natural

Wo wo wo! Fuck I'm not understanding how all this works. Got my pvc pipe some fittings 4 Silinoids. I need to get my controller still but wanted to get the system started.
How does your pump connect to the watering system, do I have to run the pump on its own timer?
Is this system ran in a loop back to the res. Until a Silinoid is open?
Most of these well pumps kick on due to back pressure from the rez. In Jack's case he's there to turn a valve pre-pump in person. I'm still figuring it out myself. @We Solidarity might be able to help.
Some people giving me pointers are using cheaper submersible fountain pump Flotec's on timers without solenoids. My purpose is to have a set-up for my absence, instead of automation though

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Most of these well pumps kick on due to back pressure from the rez. In Jack's case he's there to turn a valve pre-pump in person. I'm still figuring it out myself. @We Solidarity might be able to help.
Some people giving me pointers are using cheaper submersible fountain pump Flotec's on timers without solenoids. My purpose is to have a set-up for my absence, instead of automation though
I was planning on using a submersible as well but wanted to use 4 Silinoids 1per trAy so my pressure holds up.
Have you heard any cons of going with s submersible?

Natural

Natural

I was planning on using a submersible as well but wanted to use 4 Silinoids 1per trAy so my pressure holds up.
Have you heard any cons of going with s submersible?
As far as i know..it's gonna be a matter of slower flow with a smaller pump..I was hearing 1 hour time on etc...depends on the dripper/emitter set up and feed line and power of the pump. The Octa's etc have internal pressure regulators..that will pump their rated amount per min if you're within the psi specs. A bladder tank can regulate your pressure..but I have no idea if a fountain pump vs a deep well will be powerful enough. This means..just make your main line 2 feet past your last riser and the flow will remain consistent..plus the spaghetti lines can be different lengths. No need to loop unless you want to. Solenoids will not regulate pressure..it's going to separate your main line into sections to allow feeding to each tray/zone at a time. The deep well pumps kick on with pressure..have backflow preventers and some have bladder tanks to regulate the pressure..or you can install an inline pressure regulator..looks like the inline filters. Usually the cheaper pumps need boost not regulators..just need to time it, to find your on time to set the timer.

Natural

Natural

Jack has zones..like 5-6 4x8's in a row..one solenoid for the whole row, as his pump isn't powerful enough to feed all trays at once...then it switches to the next row..he has a mainline running straight for each zone. You will need a straight line for each tray and a perpendicular main line to feed each row.

I------------
I-----------
I-----------
Your trays will line the dotted rows..your main feed is the stacked I's. With a submersible on a timer, I don't see solenoids doing much good unless you can set it up in this fashion...each dotted line/row of tables having it's own solenoid...you would just use the main solenoid to feed everything all at once.
I think you can put a sprinkler system controller main valve pre-deep well pump to turn it off and on..that's where I'm at right now..deciding on timer only or main sprinkler solenoid valve. I may do both..cheap submersible in the veg room and controller with solenoid in the flower room. Just trying to buy a 3-4 day or absence.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

From what I've dug up on octabubblers they require around 20psi to have consistent, regulated flow. I think they would need one of those badass leader pumps or a solenoid on the main line running thru dosatrons.
Haven't been able to find a submersible pump that does more than about 12psi, though they work well with 1/2-2 gph pc emitters.

Natural

Natural

From what I've dug up on octabubblers they require around 20psi to have consistent, regulated flow. I think they would need one of those badass leader pumps or a solenoid on the main line running thru dosatrons.
Haven't been able to find a submersible pump that does more than about 12psi, though they work well with 1/2-2 gph pc emitters.
Those Leader pumps are pretty affordable too. I bet a 1/2 HP would be plenty to run 5 Octa's for me. Gonna have to play around with it as far as setting it up..I would def have to use a main solenoid before the pump. Just not sure if it will stay primed and all of that. Have friends who use rainbirds and others with Flotec fountain pumps and it's doable. I like the idea of manifold drippers vs not having them..the whole punching holes to fit smaller spaghetti lines makes me nervous for indoor set ups and being gone. Plus it would be nice to do a deep well pvc set up to water while onsite besides a vacay situation as well.

stonedcold

stonedcold

when you have the pump hooked up to a rely then to the sprinkler controller how do you turn the pump on to fill/mix nutes in the res? i see how the sprinkler controller activates the pump and the solenoid to feed the rows, just not for nute prep.

I'm trying to figure this out do u need a zone for your rez so that the pump activates or can you activate the pump from the controller without a solenoid opening??? I was thinking bout adding a solenoid by the top rez anyway to turn on for a few minutes before waterings to mix the rez ... but I still want to know how it's done without a solenoid

straincreation

straincreation

Well i know jack isnt going to respond but lets see if i can get something, im planning on running a little giant to my octabubblers, anyone hvae an idea how many it can adequately pressurize?

Hookah79

Hookah79

Well i know jack isnt going to respond but lets see if i can get something, im planning on running a little giant to my octabubblers, anyone hvae an idea how many it can adequately pressurize?
Little giant will not give you equal pressure you need a diaghram pump.

StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
I have used every kind of emmitor and in the end I went with a drip line. Every foot you cut of the line is 1 gph drip line. So I cut two foot sections per plant equaling 2 gph per plant. Helped take the guess work out of water rates and times. Also it's really cheap. The more gph you want you just cut longer and then circle it around the top of the plant.
I kind of mimicked this rooms watering system but automated it for watering from my phone. Also did drain to waste instead od tables. Need to get my rooms up on here soon.

Bionorg

Bionorg

Hmmm, I'm a new guy hoping for a larger setup. Happy for whatever help y'all can bestow. Thanks!!

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Definitely doing a similar configuration in my garden beds for this summer. This looks beyond efficient, and way easier to configure than trying to work out equal lengths for drippers in large raised beds.

Top Bottom