Odor Control In A Tent

• Thread starter Smoking Gun
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

For tent growers, do you keep your ventilation fan running at all times or do you run it in intervals? I ask this in relation to keeping odors down to a minimum. I have a bit more need to keep odors to a minimum than I have in the past and am seeing what other people are doing to help keep them controlled.

I

ion

Different strains also have different strengths of odor. Some strains have stayed pretty odor free until well into flowering, but I've grown some strains that are really stinky in veg. If I can get away with it, I prefer the odor. I think flowering plants is one of the best fragrances there is.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Thanks all for the responses. I had assumed that a 24 hour on period was the way to go but just wanted to see if anyone had any other experiences. Yay for speed controllers on fans.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Different strains also have different strengths of odor. Some strains have stayed pretty odor free until well into flowering, but I've grown some strains that are really stinky in veg. If I can get away with it, I prefer the odor. I think flowering plants is one of the best fragrances there is.

I thought this too. I couldn’t believe the wonderful smells coming from my multistrain garden. But with the perpetual harvesting and always a plant or two in the drying closet my whole subdivision would reek.

Carbon filters are security. Better to lay low.

Dan789

Dan789

Thanks all for the responses. I had assumed that a 24 hour on period was the way to go but just wanted to see if anyone had any other experiences. Yay for speed controllers on fans.
Just a tip, have someone you trust, come over to give your front entrance the “smell” test. Then you’ll be secure in the knowledge the whole neighborhood isn’t in on your “secret” grow.

Hopefull Stoner

Hopefull Stoner

Just a tip, have someone you trust, come over to give your front entrance the “smell” test. Then you’ll be secure in the knowledge the whole neighborhood isn’t in on your “secret” grow.
dude if you growing and can't do that yourself you better be legal as fuck in your own house. ijs lol

as for the OP. it's all strain dependent. the modern NL doesn't smell they say and is super stealthy. I SAY IF YOU CAN SMELL THE ODOR and it does not smell like weed then you should do better to control that non-weed like fragrance regardless. u said yourself you need to be safer now right. ijs

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I am unfortunately not in a legal state, but my living situation is pretty friendly as the people I share my house with all smoke. I just don’t want to increase the smell by that much more; a little smell is ok, a lot of smell is no good.

Monster762

Monster762

For tent growers, do you keep your ventilation fan running at all times or do you run it in intervals? I ask this in relation to keeping odors down to a minimum. I have a bit more need to keep odors to a minimum than I have in the past and am seeing what other people are doing to help keep them controlled.
Yeah 24 hrs on I only really hook the carbon filter up in flower veg box just vents straight out. Long as temps don’t get high or real dry veg usually not too stinky. And those carbon filters are a pain. Cheap ones anyways. They clog too.

D

DankSandwich

If keeping odors down to a minimum, which I believe I can speak for all of us, is a high priority, then spending some cash on a good quality carbon filter and fan is a must.

I've also heard of people of going the extra mile and using two carbon filters, one attached to each end of the exhaust fan.

One thing I like to keep laying around my home is an ONA gel for those occasions that guests come over or even when all of a sudden a filter goes bad. They're cheap, plenty of scents to choose from, and effective in soaking up that good smelling odor that so happens to leak through.

Last edited:
Dan789

Dan789

dude if you growing and can't do that yourself you better be legal as fuck in your own house. ijs lol

as for the OP. it's all strain dependent. the modern NL doesn't smell they say and is super stealthy. I SAY IF YOU CAN SMELL THE ODOR and it does not smell like weed then you should do better to control that non-weed like fragrance regardless. u said yourself you need to be safer now right. ijs
Dude, just sayin that sometimes we/you might not smell something as much as someone else, cause you might get nose blind to it. No pissing match intended, just sayin.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I regularly ask patients and friends if they can smell my Grow when they come to my house.

Good for prevention.

Enforcer

Enforcer

I use one of these in flower

http://www.titancontrols.net/shop/product/titan-controls-zephyr-1-day-night-temperature-controller

And a standard temp controller in veg. If I ran my fans 24/7, it would be impossible to maintain proper temperature (too cold). The day/night function allows me to set the fan temp lower during the night, so the RH doesn’t get too high when the light goes out. The smell does escape some, but I have a cheap Apollo tent. I would think a more expensive tent would be better at odor control.

Hopefull Stoner

Hopefull Stoner

Dude, just sayin that sometimes we/you might not smell something as much as someone else, cause you might get nose blind to it. No pissing match intended, just sayin.
i understood u. but i always say we have to be able to be self sufficient. and zero folks friends or ot should know you are growing. those are rules that are often broken these days as some become legal. yet non-legal folks break them too. I'd rather be safe than sorry especially knowing when folks get pinched they will serve you up on a platter. carry on bro. peace

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Must run 24hrs during flowering or the smell will get through.

I use speed controllers to turn my fans down at lights out. Or up sometimes to battle humidity.

Plus the fans are like a volume control for temperature.
what he said^^^^^^^^^ fan speed controller set to idle constantly at lower temps and kicks into high gear when my temp set point is hit. Be sure to clean your pre filter sock once a month and run your carbon as high in the tent as possible. Be sure to have enough of a fan CFM capability to account for your bends and turns in your duct line also for the wattage of air cooled hood you may or may not be using and allow for the resistance it encounters running thru the carbon filter. Size your carbon filter based on cubic feet in tent and size/cfm of fan your using. :D

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

what he said^^^^^^^^^ fan speed controller set to idle constantly at lower temps and kicks into high gear when my temp set point is hit. Be sure to clean your pre filter sock once a month and run your carbon as high in the tent as possible. Be sure to have enough of a fan CFM capability to account for your bends and turns in your duct line also for the wattage of air cooled hood you may or may not be using and allow for the resistance it encounters running thru the carbon filter. Size your carbon filter based on cubic feet in tent and size/cfm of fan your using. :D

Good that you mentioned the option of a 2 speed fan controller. They can be set to a temp or humidity point usually.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
i understood u. but i always say we have to be able to be self sufficient. and zero folks friends or ot should know you are growing. those are rules that are often broken these days as some become legal. yet non-legal folks break them too. I'd rather be safe than sorry especially knowing when folks get pinched they will serve you up on a platter. carry on bro. peace
I fully agree. Breaks the Golden Rule #1, "Tell nobody"

Top Bottom