Official coco flush thread..

• Thread starter Surfr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
I have heard too many damn different things with flushing coco.. How do you guys do it? This is my first run with coco and I was just going to flush like I do soil, molasses first week then straight water the next.. Do you suggest using a flushing agent? only give a week flush? Any and all help is much appreciated!

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
I think there is alot of confusion ( and mis-information when it comes to different mediums) about flushing as well.

I used to do the 3-4 times volume of the pot flush deal, but I think it is a waste.

If I got high ppm, I run the water through until the ppm drops.

If I flushed every 2 week during flower or did not overfeed then the medium may not need any flushing nor have a salt buildup.

10-14 days flush, have gone up to 21 days. minimum is usually 7.

have done the molasses route and not used clearex and done fine. I think that was the tastiest run as well. Like to use fulvic/hygrozyme as well to try and get the plants to uptake all that is left in the stems and leaves.

flushing a bunch of only clean the medium not the plant and I want the plant to eat all that is left in the cells. Also may be detrimental to the plant flushing with too much water.

Some people's theroy is to lock out the plant and clean the medium. imho that does not do what is needed to clean the plant. I want the proper ph and optimal uptake to get the plants cells depleted. if the plant is locked out then the salt are stuck in the plants cells.

here is what I have done to test.

if you break a leaf off and taste the stem it will be salty.

after the nutes are depleted from the plant it will start to show colors. Break off a leaf and taste it then. not salty anymore. Harvest and cure for a nice clean smoke with white ash.

Venom818

Venom818

I read in skunk to use carbo for the first flush of a 14 day flush then for 1 week use clearex last week plain phed water

O

okcomputer42

have done the molasses route and not used clearex and done fine. I think that was the tastiest run as well.

What do you mean by this? I only ask because you said that you believed it was your tastiest run. I really want my buds to taste nice and would love to know more about that. Thanks!

Peace and love,
OK

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Reduce ppm's in the two weeks prior to flush such that by then, the plants are already fading nicely. Always using molasses/malted barley extract, so that always stays in the mix except for those last flushing days, which can last anywhere from 10-7 days. First day of flush I give Florakleen (or something like that, can't remember the name of it), then just water, four days later another shot of Florakleen, one or two more days of plain water, then choppy-chop.

O

okcomputer42

Reduce ppm's in the two weeks prior to flush such that by then, the plants are already fading nicely. Always using molasses/malted barley extract, so that always stays in the mix except for those last flushing days, which can last anywhere from 10-7 days. First day of flush I give Florakleen (or something like that, can't remember the name of it), then just water, four days later another shot of Florakleen, one or two more days of plain water, then choppy-chop.

Thanks Seamaiden!

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
What do you mean by this? I only ask because you said that you believed it was your tastiest run. I really want my buds to taste nice and would love to know more about that. Thanks!

Peace and love,
OK

I do not like what sweet leaf or bud candy does to the taste. My personal preference.

I think you will be good using boost. Smells like there is molasses in it. friend's than run boost have excellent tasting meds.

seamaiden and venom nailed it as well.

Some type of sugar (carbo load boost bud candy heavy weight organic sweet, sweet, molasses)

Then go to ph'd water.

Supposed to take at least 7-10 days for the plant to uptake what is left in the cells. (if you overfed may not matter)

O

okcomputer42

I do not like what sweet leaf or bud candy does to the taste. My personal preference.

I think you will be good using boost. Smells like there is molasses in it. friend's than run boost have excellent tasting meds.

seamaiden and venom nailed it as well.

Some type of sugar (carbo load boost bud candy heavy weight organic sweet, sweet, molasses)

Then go to ph'd water.

Supposed to take at least 7-10 days for the plant to uptake what is left in the cells. (if you overfed may not matter)

I know I kinda regret getting the bud candy honestly after I read how people said it completely altered the taste of their herb. I doubt I'll even use it.

Venom818

Venom818

what do you mean to reduce them 4 weeks prior to flush you better have a good amount of nutes in there

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

I have heard too many damn different things with flushing coco.. How do you guys do it? This is my first run with coco and I was just going to flush like I do soil, molasses first week then straight water the next.. Do you suggest using a flushing agent? only give a week flush? Any and all help is much appreciated!

If you want the plant to use up the nutrients it's already taken up, then you need to 1st prevent it from continuing to uptake more. So ... clear nutes from the coco, yeah?
test run-off & flush until ppm are sufficiently low
flushing agent? - yes
only give a week flush? - 7 days works fine - 2/3 days w/ agent, remainder w/H20. Never bothered to pH since I don't care about uptake at this point, but couldn't hurt.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
what do you mean to reduce them 4 weeks prior to flush you better have a good amount of nutes in there
If I'm feeding them regularly at, say, 1200ppm (@ .5 conversion) then over the two weeks prior to flushing I'm going to gradually reduce that to somewhere around <300ppm. Ca/Mg has been dropped a week or three before this time as well. Nitrogen is all but completely cut out at this time as well, it's practically nothing but phosphorous, mainly because coco already has so much potassium in it I like to keep those numbers lower unless I see a problem.

As I mentioned previously (can't remember if I did so here or not), I keep molasses or malted barley extract going at low rates throughout the grow, including all the way through flush. Always get great compliments on my weed growing it this way, have been told by many seasoned growers/smokers to, "Whatever you're doing, don't change a thing!"

You see, I want that fade, I want them practically completely yellow by chop-time, I want my girls to have used up every molecule of nutrition that's available to them before I take them down. That's how I achieve the beautiful pale green/blonde buds that I desire and that taste only of the herb and nothing else. That's my goal and I'm stickin' to it!

:damnhippie:

W

waywardson

I am down to a one week flush and get very white ash. One thing that has helped is that during that week I drop my pH to 5-5.2 for a couple of days with sufuric acid (make sure you don't use phosphoric or nitric). That helps to get any excess P out as it really isn't all that soluble in higher pH water.

I find no need to feed my coco plants at above an EC of 1.5 the entire grow. More frequent waterings with lower EC has made flushing more than a week harmful to the plant...you want them to yellow, not get crunchy on the edges.

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

I am down to a one week flush and get very white ash. One thing that has helped is that during that week I drop my pH to 5-5.2 for a couple of days with sufuric acid (make sure you don't use phosphoric or nitric). That helps to get any excess P out as it really isn't all that soluble in higher pH water.

I find no need to feed my coco plants at above an EC of 1.5 the entire grow. More frequent waterings with lower EC has made flushing more than a week harmful to the plant...you want them to yellow, not get crunchy on the edges.

Where do you find the acid?

budboy299

budboy299

sulphuric acid is simply battery acid. Try pepboys or other automotive stores.
I know battery acid in the mix sounds bad but consider this....

to make nitric acid (one type of commercial ph up) you dissolve potassium nitrate or sodium nitrate into sulphuric acid.

So if you are using nitric acid...you are already using sulphuric acid but didn't know it.

true grit

true grit

Hate to say but some folks are overkilling/overthinking it a bit IMO. At most in coco for me- 2wks. The fade usually isn't nutrient uptake/n fade- its a lockout. Colors can be good but dead leaves and yellowing is lockout and lack of nutes if you flush too long.

I use drip clean and never flush until the last week, last week i use Final phase for 2-4 days with a bit of cal, then RO w/a bit of cal for a couple days, then ph'd ro til i feel like chopping (usually 10-12 days).

Bud candy does not change the taste in buds- maybe if you use too much it could but ive been using it for many turns now- along with final phase and have nothing less than stellar final results even when i fuck up something else in the regimen.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Bud candy does not change the taste in buds- maybe if you use too much it could but ive been using it for many turns now- along with final phase and have nothing less than stellar final results even when i fuck up something else in the regimen.

I have ran it many runs as well. Not my initial choice to stop using it and and here is why.

At a medical cannabis competition, more than one person could tell what nutrients were used on the med's in the competition.

Example:
pbp
sweetleaf/bud candy
gh 3 part

The first guy who mentioned the taste. Did so after smoking the buds, no one told him, what was grown with what.

He was an elder and had been smoking/growing 20+ years. Out of about 40 people only 2 stated there opinion. I Went around asking other growers, hey can you taste it?
no pretty much was the majority response.

I respect the persons opinion but continued to use bud candy. I have always gotten stellar results with it

Swerve's pre98 bubba grown with 3 part gh won.

few months later

A purchaser at a club samples alot of smoke.

After smoking the buds, he asked did you use bud candy?
That opened my eyes to do a run without it.

I asked him what do you want? He said do a run without. I did and never used it again. So my situation may be unique.

Most will NOT notice a difference and many like, even love bud candy. 'Majority of patients loved it. The meds were gone very fast. One patient could not stop smoking it and loves it. Everyone has a different preference of what they like.

Only my personal preference to not use it. That is running the same strain again and again with and without bud candy. And above is why.

Do you need to do what I do? NO find out for yourself.

I hope people have enough common sense to decide for themselves.

Intention is to not to steer anyone wrong.

When I saw the post by okcomputer42, let him know only my opinion and he may like it.

Do not want someone to miss out on something they may like. Or they may decide to test for themselves.

if I did not have that experience, I would still be using it. I am glad that happened. I save ## using molasses and sucanat and am happy with the results.

Hope that better explain my opinion and preference.

Respect

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
I know I kinda regret getting the bud candy honestly after I read how people said it completely altered the taste of their herb. I doubt I'll even use it.

to be fair to those who like it and those who do not..

if you read my experience, Just because of one person opinion I did not stop using it.

I am only one person and am not a AN hater.

Searches via google here and other sites reveal I am not the only that feel this way about bud candy. Older posts will state opinion on sweet leaf.

(note: was called sweet leaf before being combined with carbo load to make bud candy. )

Decide what works for you. Having all the facts and opinion in front of you allows you to make the best decision.

Good growing

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Lead, in my world, you just can't go wrong with molasses. Even if I'm not feeding it to my girls it's a quick and tasty treat for ME.
Hate to say but some folks are overkilling/overthinking it a bit IMO. At most in coco for me- 2wks. The fade usually isn't nutrient uptake/n fade- its a lockout. Colors can be good but dead leaves and yellowing is lockout and lack of nutes if you flush too long.
You may think so, but how much smoke have you had from a girl who either hasn't been properly flushed, or who's had a late flower push of nutes? I've made both those mistakes and lemme tell ya, the smoke is AWFUL.

The entire point of working toward that late flower fade is to help ensure that the girls have used up what's there. What happens when they use up their reserves (that are held in the large fans)? They yellow and, if you leave them, they die. That's the natural order of things and I absolutely do not care for the smoke when I was keeping them greener late into flower. Not to mention, somehow I'm managing to bring my yields up. I think it's a balance, honestly.

But mostly for me the goal is flavor along with potency, and as far as flavor goes, each girl's characteristics shine through all on their own the way I'm doing it. And I like that (even if I don't happen to like that particular girl, and that does happen to me a lot), in fact, I have to say I'm quite proud of it when I achieve that. I'm crafting a product here.
I use drip clean and never flush until the last week, last week i use Final phase for 2-4 days with a bit of cal, then RO w/a bit of cal for a couple days, then ph'd ro til i feel like chopping (usually 10-12 days).
Curious, but what's the point of pHing the RO water for that final flush?

Latest posts

Top Bottom