Ok More Detailed Advice Needed On The Dry And Cure.

• Thread starter Monster762
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Monster762

Monster762

Ok I’m new to this.

I have just harvested (2weeks +ago)my first crop. I dried at 75degrees with humidity at consistant 55%. Now in jars. The small stems did snap clean. I put into jars at around 62%. The hygrometer in jars said62% steady. They went as low as 55. Burping airing etc. now the bud still acts and tastes like moisture is still in it. It’s got a little harsh of flavor and won’t burn clean. I’ve recently read that a totally cured dried bud should be 10-15% moisture content. Not sure how that would read on hygrometer in a jar but a guess would be humidity should read 10-15%. I ran the flush at end for over 2 weeks. I dried in dark. I did everything as most things say it should be done.
Do I need to continue to dry/cure until a steady 10-15% humidity in jar?

Now comes the other issue. Burping or airing out bud in a area with above 15% rh can not possibly get it that dry. So on comes another thing I’ve been reading from a Michigan study on medical cannabis.
Has anyone used dry ice in the jar to dry/cure to the 10-15% mark?
According to the study it litterally is 0% rh. And basically freeze dries. While not negatively effecting the thc or any cannibinoids. They say to put the dry ice in the bottom of the jar under the bud. It litterally extracts the moisture and evaporates it. Then check the rh again by putting hygrometer in the jar again and allowing a while to get accurate reading. If not dry enough repeat by adding more dry ice. I’m tempted to try this on some.
Has anyone done this? And if so what were the end results?
If I’m thinking of doing something stupid here please stop me.
I’m just not able to get the moisture content to those numbers any other way that I know of.
Any opinions or experiences ,advice is appreciated.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

55-60%rh is the target rh we strive for in curing. Lower and your asking for dried out crispy powder nuggets.

Organikz

Organikz

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=156237

I found this very informative. The first few times I burp I literally allow the outside to crisp up. I let the RH reach 60 with jar open then lid it up until it stabilizes at 64.

I recently purchased wide mouth fermenting lids. I'm going to try 1 jar. Some guys swear by them. No burping. Ferment curing Malawi style...lol well I'm not burying them in corn husks.

"In Malawi and other parts of Africa, the traditional curing method is fermentation based, wherein chlorophyll eating-bacteria are accelerated by wrapping the herb tightly in corn husk and either leaving in the sun, burying in warm earth, or cow dung so I've heard, among other methods. This method of removing chlorophyll is superior to the western burp jar method, which is still a bacterial process but to a lesser extent - it doesn't actually ferment the weed.
Many say the ferment-cure produces super smooth, earthy, and extra powerful smoke, and I agree."

Last edited:
Monster762

Monster762

I don't think my weed ever gets below 50%. I use 55% boveda packs if it seems to dry or moist. You have not cured long enough yet. Just keep burping for up to a month of burping not hang time.
Good luck you will get it figured out.
Have you given this a read yet. I seem to remember a different thread but can't find it now.
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/cure-your-medicine-by-dj-short.70/
Ok thanks I just found an old thread on here where someone was going to try the dry ice method to cure. They said they’d experiment n post back but then I kept reading along n they never posted back. Thread died years ago.

Monster762

Monster762

Ok thanks I just found an old thread on here where someone was going to try the dry ice method to cure. They said they’d experiment n post back but then I kept reading along n they never posted back. Thread died years ago.
For now until I get some solid experience I’ll just continue to burp. My jars are at 50% now. But still don’t burn right or smell right. Smells good but still has little bit of a grassy homegrown smell n taste to it. I’m trying to get it all sweet n funky like it smells when I break up a piece of it.

Organikz

Organikz

And yeah I’m only like 2 weeks into jar now.
Dude. Keep the jars closed. The inside is wet. You need to allow the rh to climb back up to 64 but I don't think it's going to happen if you're at 50. Cap it only open and close quickly to release a little ethylene each day. See how high

See how high you can make the rh climb.

Monster762

Monster762

Dude. Keep the jars closed. The inside is wet. You need to allow the rh to climb back up to 64 but I don't think it's going to happen if you're at 50. Cap it only open and close quickly to release a little ethylene each day.
Ok I kept closed 2 days and it stays around 50. 55 max. When I kept closed it started to smell horrible like a lawnmower went through a swamp.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

You let them.dry too quickly. Curing/burping jars slowly over weeks gets rid of the grass lawnmower smell. If your at 50%rh and still have grass smell, you dedfinately dried too quickly to cure properly.

I hate linking other sites to here, but I feel.its important. Go to IC, look for Simon's curing tek. It's what I followed for 5yrs.

Monster762

Monster762

You let them.dry too quickly. Curing/burping jars slowly over weeks gets rid of the grass lawnmower smell. If your at 50%rh and still have grass smell, you dedfinately dried too quickly to cure properly.

I hate linking other sites to here, but I feel.its important. Go to IC, look for Simon's curing tek. It's what I followed for 5yrs.
Ok I’ve got sealed in jars. going to leave it sealed n wait see if humidity goes up. It isn’t crunchy. It smells real good once I let air at it it just gets a grass smell when sealed. I think it’s still got moisture in it. But my little hygrometer read about 50%. I let open today but the room air is humid today. Like 100%. So it said 60% about an hour after I closed it up. It not crunchy so I guess it’s still got some moisture. Maybe all the crap sticking to the hygrometer is throwing reading off. No mold though I looked good for that today. I can live with it being in jar for month if that’s what it takes.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Never burp jars in high rh. All your doing is allowing the high rh to invade tour burping. Thus nullifying the burping process.

Monster762

Monster762

Never burp jars in high rh. All your doing is allowing the high rh to invade tour burping. Thus nullifying the burping process.
Ok. So if it’s real humid just keep em closed up?
Cause like today humidity is so thick you can litterally feel it hit you like a wall when you step outside. N not hot just stupid humid.

But humidity in the room I burp in has to be lower than humidity in the jar or it’s a waste of time is what you’re saying?

I can set the dry room up again and control the closet to a low humidity. Can I just open jars sit em in there as a burp? Say sit em 20 mins or so open then seal up. Even the air conditioners can’t get the rest of house below 65-70% on days like today. But between space heater a/c and fan I can dial that closet to any numbers.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

you can run a dehumidifier, AC, or set out a container of silica crystals to lower humidity

Ok. So if it’s real humid just keep em closed up?
Cause like today humidity is so thick you can litterally feel it hit you like a wall when you step outside. N not hot just stupid humid.

But humidity in the room I burp in has to be lower than humidity in the jar or it’s a waste of time is what you’re saying?

I can set the dry room up again and control the closet to a low humidity. Can I just open jars sit em in there as a burp? Say sit em 20 mins or so open then seal up. Even the air conditioners can’t get the rest of house below 65-70% on days like today. But between space heater a/c and fan I can dial that closet to any numbers.

Monster762

Monster762

you can run a dehumidifier, AC, or set out a container of silica crystals to lower humidity
ok I might have to invest in dehumidifier. I have like 5 humidifiers but no dehumidifier. Figures. I have bags of rice hanging in paint strainers in the closet I dried in. I’ll look into silica crystals too. Never seen em except little packets

dan1989

dan1989

You know, I had that harsh chem flavour in my last run. Grapefruit diesel. I thought well, gets me high, may as well smoke it. A month later near the end of the stash, it started tasting different, started losing that harshness and tasted well, dank. Smell improved too. What I'm saying is that all is not lost. Follow the above advice and you may be surprised. That grass smell is normal too. Means it's still breaking down the chlorophyll etc. I learned that patience is key. Nice slow dry like Demon said. It's an art, not a process. It's why when I get consistently good at growing, my shit will knock the socks off the local dealers shit, because their guys can't be bothered doing a decent dry and cure.

Top Bottom