Ok To Use Potassium Hydroxide For Ph Up?

• Thread starter StickyBob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
StickyBob

StickyBob

I've been using a mild potassium hydroxide solution as my pH up for some weeks now. I've had no ill effects but can there be some in the long run?

Nugg

Nugg

Idk.but I think tjatha just what u buy from the grow as pH up..I don't think the plants benefits from the hydroxide....I use potassium bicarbonate.? That's just me I have no tech.info to back any of it..lol

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
It shouldn't matter much as long as you keep it mild. You might have to adjust your nutrients slightly to compensate for the extra Potassium that will be available. Lye is pretty caustic and I would be skittish about using too much of it to change soil Ph. Bicarbonate is less reactive. I use wood ashes myself, which can add micronutrients as well as help to buffer the soil and raising the Ph.

StickyBob

StickyBob

The solution I have is maybe a teaspoon of lye added to half a liter of water. 2 ml of that to 2.5 ltr of water results in about pH of 6.5. So it's not much... might look into using baking soda though, less toxic to my skin if nothing else :)

K

Kot

PH up is most commonly just that - potassium hydroxide(giving potassium) and PH down is either nitric acid(giving nitrogen) or phosphoric acid(giving phosphorus). You can use as much as you need from either of those. They give nutrients the plants need and use.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
2471E9E7 254F 411B 897E E31DAB272054

Top Bottom