Omerta

• Thread starter Omerta
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Soo... I'm kinda liking the way momma canna-tsu is turning out... I'm looking at her and I'm starting to envision what she would look like if I flipped over to flower... why am I keeping her as a mother? Can I revenge the plant if I chopped her but left new growth still attached to the trunk? I know nothing is fool proof and I might be a fool. But I'm getting antsy for my own bud... and I figure another 8-9 weeks before I get the clones into flower... idk though cus dont the clones grow faster than seeded plants once they root because they are already mature or as mature as mom was when i took them. I'd appreciate some explaining on time line if I'm accurate or way off. Thanks guys and gals for helping me out so much!

Respectfully,
Omerta.

Yes you can. Just leave the fluffy buds at the bottom when harvesting and put them in 24 hrs. They should reveg but it takes time. Like a month or more for me.
I don’t keep clones or big mothers actually, but keep multiple (2-3) bonsai mothers of each strain and just flower them when the time comes. Saves on space immensely.

Last edited:
Omerta

Omerta

Yes you can. Just leave the fluffy buds at the bottom when harvesting and put them in 24 hrs. They should reveg but it takes time. Like a month or more for me.
I don’t keep clones or big mothers actually, but keep multiple (2-3) bonsai mothers of each strain and just flower them when the time comes. Saves on space immensely.
How do you bonsai mothers?

Omerta

Omerta

Can you brake down what you mean barney style for me? Thank you @CrimsonEcho

Respectfully,
Omerta.

Last edited:
Omerta

Omerta

And I revamped my nursery lights. It turns out the antenna led is full spectrum and variable wattage. So week 1 for day 1-6 depending on the cut. I have the full spec on vegg and turned way down... to much I wonder? Or not enough?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Can you brake down what you mean barney style for me? Thank you @CrimsonEcho

Respectfully,
Omerta.

It is a technique involving little pots and monthly root pruning. This nl is older than 5 months old, revegged in this pot and still is in this pot. Topped constantly. When you put this into a big pot and flip after 10-20 days shit goes crazy :D

BCA95635 C2E9 48FB B1D3 9B5B999F3F45
1CC92364 71CC 453E AD66 F80165A0ACBB
A9ECB762 E5B5 4DB4 B617 DA656C129F2B

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
And I revamped my nursery lights. It turns out the antenna led is full spectrum and variable wattage. So week 1 for day 1-6 depending on the cut. I have the full spec on vegg and turned way down... to much I wonder? Or not enough?

It’ll be allright bro, you are just trying to keep them alive until they root. More light means faster death for them, before being able to root.

Omerta

Omerta

Ok... switching gears. So now my canna-tsu is gonna be a bonsai mother that I'm going to harvest and resurrect... if i understand everything right. Prolly gonna do that to my crunchbery to. Hmm more research to do.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Ok... switching gears. So now my canna-tsu is gonna be a bonsai mother that I'm going to harvest and resurrect... if i understand everything right. Prolly gonna do that to my crunchbery to. Hmm more research to do.

There are detailed threads on it around here too. Man it saves me so much space overall. I keep 18 gals ready to go anytime in a 20” by 10” tray.

Omerta

Omerta

Wow, I'm gonna try that!
Thanks again!
It’ll be allright bro, you are just trying to keep them alive until they root. More light means faster death for them, before being able to root.

So I know I should be giving the plants a dark period when first cut and put to soil... how long does that period of darkness last and how do I know the plant is rooted and doing well vs me feeding it water to keep it alive? I only ask because i dont see any change in the plant from being a branch to cutting and now it's in soil. No stress/droop. Well 2 of my plants cut 1 from both sides dropped at about day 3, fully watered and they both took about 8-12 hrs to come back but neither is growing bigger, so is that the answer? When it starts to get bigger is when its rooted? I have heard of people claiming roots in just a few days and others say it takes 2 weeks to root. Can you shed light on this for me?

Omerta

Omerta

Side note from the 3 cuttings I took today... canna-tsu 4, 5 and 6. all three are recut in water at 45deg and cinnamon has been used in place of the rooting powder. I have also lightly powdered cinnamon in the planting hole as well as around on the top soil to help prevent pests from coming up alive. I am keeping them segregated from the older clones (ages between 4 and 6 days) by a sheet of aluminum foil. Keeping them out of the light.
Water used is aerated tap 24hr min, ph @ 6.5 +-.2

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
So I know I should be giving the plants a dark period when first cut and put to soil... how long does that period of darkness last and how do I know the plant is rooted and doing well vs me feeding it water to keep it alive? I only ask because i dont see any change in the plant from being a branch to cutting and now it's in soil. No stress/droop. Well 2 of my plants cut 1 from both sides dropped at about day 3, fully watered and they both took about 8-12 hrs to come back but neither is growing bigger, so is that the answer? When it starts to get bigger is when its rooted? I have heard of people claiming roots in just a few days and others say it takes 2 weeks to root. Can you shed light on this for me?

Bro it all depends. Some strains just doesn’t throw roots that easily and some does. Also environment and cleanliness makes a big difference. I get 2 weeks or more with some and with some 5-7 days. Rooting compounds like IBA helps very much. Also the method of cloning is important too.

As long as they’re alive, keep hope, they will root. Don’t let them suffer shocks like that tho. They’re very fragile in this state. They’re like a seedling. Just keep consntant moisture (don’t drench with water, they don’t have roots and they will rot) and temps and when you see new growth it means they have rooted.

I don’t designate a specific period of darkness. Maybe someone else can chime in but i just put them under gentle lights after i cut them.

Omerta

Omerta

Bro it all depends. Some strains just doesn’t throw roots that easily and some does. Also environment and cleanliness makes a big difference. I get 2 weeks or more with some and with some 5-7 days. Rooting compounds like IBA helps very much. Also the method of cloning is important too.

As long as they’re alive, keep hope, they will root. Don’t let them suffer shocks like that tho. They’re very fragile in this state. They’re like a seedling. Just keep consntant moisture (don’t drench with water, they don’t have roots and they will rot) and temps and when you see new growth it means they have rooted.

I don’t designate a specific period of darkness. Maybe someone else can chime in but i just put them under gentle lights after i cut them.

Thank you for answering in detail. That helps confirm what I've been guessing at. I'm enjoying the growing pains. @Ina earlier in my feed gave suggestions on common reasons clones fail. she also suggested giving a dark period for the roots.

chime in and expand on my knowledge base . Thanks a bunch!

Respectfully,
Omerta

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Thank you for answering in detail. That helps confirm what I've been guessing at. I'm enjoying the growing pains. @Ina earlier in my feed gave suggestions on common reasons clones fail. she also suggested giving a dark period for the roots.

Respectfully,
Omerta

Yeah, i too give them a dark period on daily basis, they are on 18/6. I don’t give a specific amount of darkness in the timespan between me cutting them and putting them under t5s. Just want to clear that. I don’t run 24 on for the clones.

Omerta

Omerta

So I did a bit of work getting my canna-tsu ready... doing some Lst, I'm not sure how far to push the plant. I defoliated a bit more. Trying to get good light penetration into the lower canopy.

Also I could use some advise on flipping the plant to flower. And what preparation can I do, keeping in mind I am limited on resources, but as a new grower what are some things I could do that would be best practices for any garden. I have plant food and water... and light. Thanks all.

20190117 173512
20190117 173442
Ina

Ina

Respectfully,
Omerta
What I meant is just start with the dark in your period.if your regiment is 18/6 for example,give them these six hours dark directly after cutting and then 18 light/6 dark,you know.....Ofcourse you can put them directly under small light(it is also better if the light is blue,i mean coollight,not warm,really low like the old 23w CFL or some LED strip)after cutting,but it is better(by my opinion and some other old gardeners here in BG)the dark after cutting eases them to root.....Imagine in nature ,after storm few branches fall down on the ground,in the shadows and moisture,directly on the moist soil.If they fall under the sun they die immediately but between the bigger cannabis plants they can root.So you need to imitate these conditions(but sterile as possible).Also you can try something that stimulates the rooting faster( I use clonex or whatever)but they can root without anything added,just keep the moisture right and constant in the air and soil.Yes,it could take different time with different strain(usually sativas root easier as far as I have seen)and approach.You will see the roots(it is really cool but it is early now) in the cups and the tops get greener,you will see when they really start to grow.but next time better use other cups that keep the roots in dark.It is not big deal,in these they can also root but lets ease them as much as possible.:)
Your plants are looking nice!

Omerta

Omerta

What I meant is just start with the dark in your period.if your regiment is 18/6 for example,give them these six hours dark directly after cutting and then 18 light/6 dark,you know.....Ofcourse you can put them directly under small light(it is also better if the light is blue,i mean coollight,not warm,really low like the old 23w CFL or some LED strip)after cutting,but it is better(by my opinion and some other old gardeners here in BG)the dark after cutting eases them to root.....Imagine in nature ,after storm few branches fall down on the ground,in the shadows and moisture,directly on the moist soil.If they fall under the sun they die immediately but between the bigger cannabis plants they can root.So you need to imitate these conditions(but sterile as possible).Also you can try something that stimulates the rooting faster( I use clonex or whatever)but they can root without anything added,just keep the moisture right and constant in the air and soil.Yes,it could take different time with different strain(usually sativas root easier as far as I have seen)and approach.You will see the roots(it is really cool but it is early now) in the cups and the tops get greener,you will see when they really start to grow.but next time better use other cups that keep the roots in dark.It is not big deal,in these they can also root but lets ease them as much as possible.:)
Your plants are looking nice!

Thank you so much Ina for clarifying and checking out my plants! I have a much better understanding now. Do you prefer growing sativa or indica? Wait.

It just clicked in my brain why to go with the younger clippings. They are more easily rooted because they are new growth it's easier and faster for the plant to transition, putting the growth energy into root energy. The sooner it roots the faster it gets really strong suckin up the nutrients.

K. I'm back. (It took me way to long to right this)

I wish I new older growers. I wish our culture respected our elders. They have tons of wisdom, and really amazing stories. Far better than what Hollywood can fabricate. Anywho. Lol. Thank you again for your help and clarification.

Respectfully,
Omerta.

Last edited:
Omerta

Omerta

Good morning all.
So 24hrs old for # 4, 5 and 6. 5 and 6 are looking sleepy. I hope they perk up.
Let's see. Fox farm soil, I pre dampened the soil so I wouldn't have to after I planted the clones. The water I used had a ph @ 6.5 +-.2
I used cinnamon for a rooting powder substitute.
I have shielded the plants since I potted them. I removed the foil screen this morning and they will be joining in the group sun bathing activity... should I give more water to plant 5 and 6 or make the roots work for it?
Thanks all.

Respectfully,
Omerta.

Omerta

Omerta

Also I redid my nursery... again. But i think i like it now... its squarish. Except for the mr square in top left. I dont know how long that container is going to live. Mwahaha. It's bad enough I'm using circle cups in a square... lol.

Top Bottom