Opinion Needed On Lighting For Mother Plants

• Thread starter pointer80
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pointer80

pointer80

Hello all, I am getting ready to grow 4 different mother plants so I can get some clones for the upcoming outdoor season and need opinions on lights to use. I have 3, 4 foot T-12 fixtures, six bulbs total that are screwed together as a unit that I raise my veggie seedlings under but was wondering if these would grow a mother big enough to clone in the time I have before growing season which is about June 1. The other route was some led shop lights I found at the box store that are 5000k and 4500 lumens (42 watts), I would run 4 of these for a total of 8 bulbs. Like I mentioned I just want to get the mother's up to where I can take around 5 or 6 clones apiece off of them. I also thought of a few cfl bulbs thrown in the mix as well if need be. I have a 4x8 tent but could section off to a 4x4 if need be. Thanks in advance for any input.

Levi7777

Levi7777

Hello all, I am getting ready to grow 4 different mother plants so I can get some clones for the upcoming outdoor season and need opinions on lights to use. I have 3, 4 foot T-12 fixtures, six bulbs total that are screwed together as a unit that I raise my veggie seedlings under but was wondering if these would grow a mother big enough to clone in the time I have before growing season which is about June 1. The other route was some led shop lights I found at the box store that are 5000k and 4500 lumens (42 watts), I would run 4 of these for a total of 8 bulbs. Like I mentioned I just want to get the mother's up to where I can take around 5 or 6 clones apiece off of them. I also thought of a few cfl bulbs thrown in the mix as well if need be. I have a 4x8 tent but could section off to a 4x4 if need be. Thanks in advance for any input.
I have had very good grows using nothing but 14( 2 arrays of 7 ea) 100W 5000K (2700K for flowering) CFLs in a 2'x4'x6' tent..and thats 4-6 plants.....one thing I have learned over my 60+ years is...try something and make your own conclusion..not all 'opinions' are useful...and thats JMPO!.....:>)...good luck...:>)...

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
That’s not too many cuttings so you’ll be fine under fluorescent lighting. You can add the leds if you want but that’s up to you. Best thing to do is build it and test it out. You can see visually if it’s enough light or not.

JaxiDoodlson

JaxiDoodlson

You should have no problem getting that many clones just off the t12 IMHO, My uncle tried growing with about four its was funny the plants were 6 feet tall, lanky as all hell but tall.

pointer80

pointer80

Thanks guy's, I will probably end up going with the led lights just because the wife gave me permission to purchase as we can use them in the basement when I am done with them. Thanks again for all your great advice.

Levi7777

Levi7777

You should have no problem getting that many clones just off the t12 IMHO, My uncle tried growing with about four its was funny the plants were 6 feet tall, lanky as all hell but tall.
He had his lights too far from the 'canopy'.....all plants will grow towards their light source...too little light intensity + too far above plants will result in tall,spindly plants...also seems to produce more males in my experience...YMMV...:>)...

Top Bottom