Outdoor Grow First Timer - Low Temp Question

• Thread starter NVRENUF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

NVRENUF

Hey all, just discovered the farm and have enjoyed reading, figured I would post up and I have a question.

I got two clones from a friend that were rooted mid June. Planted them in some Happy Frog soil in Geopots and used FoxFarm nutes in veg and flower. I am a first timer and trying to just enjoy the process and not taking to seriously. Everything has been going well until I finished the foxfarm BigBloom and replaced with Moab.

I did not track the time they have been in the bloom cycle. I am using tap water but letting is sit open for 24 hours and adjusting PH after mixing.

I have run into a problem where one of them have experienced some damage on the fan leaves and some of the sugar leaves, even on the main cola. The damage areas are purple and crispy. The temps have been getting low, in the high 40s. I have also made the mistake of leaving my water outside and watering early in the AM with the cold water. I am changing this approach today by keeping the water in the garage where it's 65f. Does this damage look like temperature damage or nute burn? Some of the other sugar leaves are curling up on the sides.

I have been looking at the trichomes and they are milky but no amber to speak of (1-2 here and there). I am thinking about flushing and trying to wait it out to see how they respond. My goal is to wait for the trichomes to turn 40% amber. Do I need to put them inside overnight to avoid the cold temps or just the water?

Below are the plant right before I had this issue.
Plants 2
Plant 1
Outdoor grow first timer   low temp question 3
Plants 2
Plant 1

Thanks for any input.

cannabeans

cannabeans

It looks like a slight burn... The dark purple is most likely from the cold..
They look like they are getting close so I would just water from here on out. But do not over-water. Keep them on the drier side as to avoid bud rot. They look good for your first attempt!
The night time temps are cool but cannabis at the maturity level your at can even take some light frost without skipping a beat. As for your water supply... Mine comes out of the well quite cold. I have never "warmed" my water up before giving to ANY of my garden plants. I have heard of "Thermal Shock" and I will call bullshit on that. Do any food farmer pre-warm their water for their crops... That would be ridiculous. Just dont leave it out over night if it makes you feel better. Water them after the air temp warms up in the morning. Hope this helps!

N

NVRENUF

OK, flushed them this morning with 4 gallons of fresh water each. Thanks for the tip on not overwatering. I have had to water every day through the summer as these breathable bags dry the soil quickly, at this point I think I am going to start looking closer at the soil and not water unless necessary.

Not sure I understand your comment on the temps though, how can this damage be from the cold but then you say they can take even a light frost without skipping a beat. I don't think the temps have gone into the 30s at all, maybe low 40 worst case. I have been watering in the morning (early, like coldest part of the night) with water that I leave out overnight, I wonder if that has caused my problem (water too cold)? I have also started keeping my water inside.

I appreciate the response, just trying to understand if I need to be concerned about the cold air temps as well.

R

redlife215

If u had a frost in those small pots itll damage ur pkant. Looks like frost damage to me. Is the bud kinda squishy and weird smelling in the morn

Dunge

Dunge

Do any food farmer pre-warm their water for their crops... That would be ridiculous.
Yes, water needs to be warmed.
Just think about it a bit.
Cold soil results in lower metabolic activity.
In my early spring greenhouse, I credit the overall success to watering with 100 deg F water every morning.

As for the two subjects at hand, I think they look great.
I agree with keeping them mid range on the watering.
Heft the plant to assay water content.

I believe the leaf damage is of no concern.

Congratulations, and please keep posting.
I think they are almost ready.

cannabeans

cannabeans

In my original comment I first addressed your thoughts on over feeding them. I secondly addressed the dark purple in the leaf.
The burn if from your strong feed... The purple is from the cold. I should have been more clear.
To be honest... Your plants look great. The only "problem" I see is the slight nutrient burn. Which you have already addressed. Everything else looks on par! The only problem that I see that can arise is over watering coupled with the lower temps can cause bud rot. This is why I said keep the plants on the lighter/ dryer side of the watering schedule. I would let them dry quite a bit if you just put 4 gallons down each container. Obviously if they dry out each day.. I still would suggest giving them only enough water for them to survive the day.
Hope this clears things up for you...

N.OntarioMedGrower

N.OntarioMedGrower

Yes, farmers do warm the water via nature before applying. I notice that irrigation from slews and damming ponds gives my crops twice the impact that cold water from our bored wells.
bio availability

Latest posts

Top Bottom