Outdoor Nutrients ... What to use & How ???

• Thread starter digging
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

digging

What do fellow farmers here, suggest for outdoor nutrients?

I am looking for a simple but effective nutrient plan.

How much and how often ?

Are there powders or the likes of powders, that can be put at the base of the plants?

Thanks for your help.

budboy299

budboy299

As much as I am not a fan of miracle grow for indoor use, I loved it when I grew outdoors. I could fill my pockets with it (bag fulls) and just walk by the plants and sprinkle some around. Next rains would wash it in.

I grew way up north with very sandy soil and not alot of nutrients but the Miracle grow made some hefty plants.

I did this every couple weeks though

Blaze

Blaze

For chemical based fertilizers - grow more will out preform almost anything and is dirt cheap.

For organics - Botancare's line up, especially the Pure Blend Pro Grow and Bloom works well.

Both can be applied frequently as well. Doing smaller, more frequent feedings will get you better results than a heavy feeding once a week or once every two weeks.

Foliar feeding will also give your plants a really nice boost and should be done once a week if possible.

I would also highly recommend you look into making some aerated compost tea (ACT) it is one of the cheapest and most effective things you can give your plants.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Is this a stealth guerilla grow or a backyard diva? Because one needs to be trail free and trail free means soil prep and minimal in season tending. I use to be an osmocote guy but I switched back to organics and MG. Go and get some composted manure and worm castings. Some agriculture stores have chicken, cow and horse manure. Many hardware stores sell small 1 and 2 pound bags of composted cow manure.

Dig the hole and pile up the soil you removed and break it up good. I take a white plastic grocery bag and fill it with cow manure, perlite, worm castings, bat guano in whatever amounts I have handy of each. Sometimes it is only cow manure and perlite. Then I add it to my piled up dirt and mix it up good. Then I add in a small plastic ziplock sandwich bag full of dolomite lime. Mix it up put some in the hole, add the plant and fill in the rest of the soil mix. I sprinkle another small snack size plastic bag of MG in a circle around the middle of the hole. You can use bat guano for this too.

I normally don't go back until late July and add MG flowering and the kinda bat guano for flowering. I think the insect eaters are for veg and are like 10-1-1 and the fruit eaters are for flowering and are like 1-10-3. This year I am also using organic food spikes for flowering plants. I tried a few last year and liked them.

If you can go back as frequently as you want I always just watered every time I can with 1/4 strength MG.

If you can go back every day then it is a diva and that is as easy as a tomato plant. Water every day and feed at will. Nothing beats in the ground in the back yard. LOL!

D

digging

This is a serious stealth guerrilla grow, with 1500 plants spread over a 5 mile walking radius.

You guys make some very good points. I want to keep my tracks to a minimum, so the less times I go visit the plants the better.

What if I was to use no nutrients, how much yield reduction would there be?

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.

T

theloadeddragon

get the raw organics and make your own teas. Irrigate it out through a tea resevoir thats well hidden, and connected to your main line irrigation. Light and easy to pack in, easy to mix to your specifications, great results, and longer lasting ;)

Blaze

Blaze

What if I was to use no nutrients, how much yield reduction would there be?

It would be a pretty serious reduction. Hard to say for sure but I'd guess it would decrease your yield by at least 75% or more.

Since this is a guerrilla grow, liquid nutes are probably out of the question unless you are up for a seriously massive drip system. Slow release fertilizers that you can top dress with are probably your best bet. There are lot of granular fertilizer you can get, like Organicare's Pure, or you can use bat gunaos, etc.

One of the best way to increase your yield per plant is to simply grow less plants so the ones you have get the attention they need. More plants is not always better.

Have you grown on this scale before or is this a first time?

G

Gro

maxi gro&maxi bloom by gh would work well for your app.cheap and easy to pack.better results than mg imho.

:icon_spin:

D

digging

Thanks again for your guys replies.

I have done smaller grows like 30 plants in the past. This is the first large grow.

I am in the learning curve for a large grow, and committed to do what it takes to finish rather successfully.

Thanks for your continued help.

SmokeyPipes

SmokeyPipes

If anything,at least get some organic all purpose fertilizer and do some top dressing

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

Im using heavy harvest this year and have used it in the past the stuff rocks. Im also using algamin kelp meal, and Oregonism XL mixed in to some of the holes didnt have enough to buy it for all the holes. And i learned a cool trick, you can tear up diapers and place them around the bottom of the hole to retain moisture like polymer crystals or something would. You can get away with not using nutrients plants will for sure be much smaller, some prolly wont make it, but others will flourish depending what all is in your soil, and what type of soil your planting in, what strain is used, etc etc. . If your lucky like me and have 1000's of acres of rolling farm land to treck you might do great without anything but nicely rooted clones, shovel, very fine ground lime, and something to carry water with once your there. Its kinda late int he season to be preparing holes, but you still might be ok, if your gunna use native soil just mix the lime into the top like 8 inches of soil, make your holes wider then they are deep and water the holes thoroughly.

D

digging

On the advice of the local grow shop, I ended up choosing Advanced Nutrients Heavy Harvest Summer Blend.

When does everyone suggest I switch from Summer Blend to Fall Blend. I am located in Southern Ontario.

Much thanks for your guys help and suggestions.

Blaze

Blaze

You are going to try to do 1500 plants using AN products? Hope you have a lot of money to put towards it. AN is by far one of the most expensive companies to use (hence why grow shops tend to recommend it) and does not necessarily work better than other, far cheaper alternatives. In fact AN often takes existing ag products, dilutes them, relabels them, and the jacks up the price 100 fold.

Not trying to discourage you or be a dick or anything, I just really do not have any faith in AN at all and they are probably the absolute last company I would ever recommend anyone to use. They are nothing but scammers IMHO.

edit: The heavy harvest actually doesn't look too terribly expensive but I can almost guarantee you that you can find something almost identical and cheaper if you look around.

B

bigbag

welcome harvest farms brand canola,flax and cotton seed meals work very well, r inexpensive and dont attract critters.my all purpose top dressings of choice

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
just like bigbag was referring to. stay away from anything fish based that has the smell or animals will dig up your shit looking for food. also stay away from sugars or molasses as these will attract some insects. fox farm has the epace of mind series that works good. last eyar i used marine cuisine and had a bunch of plants dug up by what i think was racoons. they didnt even eat them or anything just dug them up threw them to the side and dug out the wholes they were in

D

digging

I have done a bunch of searching on Google, and from what I have read, Heavy Harvest seems to be the right nutrients for Guerrilla Grows.

How come Advanced Nutrients have such a bad rap with some people?

B

bigbag

AN has like 100 dif products...u only need say 10-12 MAX to grow great weed. they sell alot of snake oil's for a pretty penny, but if u want to pour/spray etc, mad stuff on your grow and spend lots o' loot, be my guest. they do make some good products, but most are way over priced/hyped. more power 2 em though, as 4 some if they think its working better...then it must be. a fool and his $ r soon parted

Blaze

Blaze

^^ What he said. A lot of their stuff is insanely expensive for what it is. Their Voodoo juice is al ways the example I like to use. You can buy those exact same bacteria cultures for about one quarter of one percent of what AN charges from another company. It is literally 400 times more expensive to buy VJ than a "real" ag product that does the same thing.

S

sirsmokealot

How bout Botanicare CNS 17 Grow for veg, and Ripe and Pure Blend Original Bloom for flower. Was looking at getting a 55 gal drum of the Ripe and Bloom for around 2k. Not sure price on the CNS Grow but was only gonna get a 15 gal cause there gonna b in 100gal smart pots of 707 which has some nutes in it already. I know its pricey but I don't feel comfortable adding in my own amendments on my first large outdoor grow.

E

eircsmith

I have done a bunch of searching on Google, and from what I have read, Heavy Harvest seems to be the right nutrients for Guerrilla Grows.

How come Advanced Nutrients have such a bad rap with some people?

My friend prefers me to use advanced nutrients product for outdoor cultivation. He applied heavy harvest, an advanced nutrients product which is not expensive and help him to balanced the pH level for the plant growth, and he only added a couple of times during the grow season.

Top Bottom