Over Watered Or Under Watered? Help

• Thread starter Hala
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Hi. Did all the tests but i am still thinking it was over watered. I lifted the pot and seemed quite light, i pinched a whole and it did seem dry again so i went ahead and soacked the whole thing until good 20% came out of the bottom and am waiting to see the results. How long should it take? I will not water again for the whole week and hopefully it will recover. I have not been using any nutes. Just biohumus water. It is in vermicompost soil. So i am not planning on using any chemicals.

In your pic the lower leaves are drooping down to the soil. That means its thirsty. I think you did the right thing saturating the pot. I bet it takes a week to dry out enough for watering again. A good tool is a probe moisture meter. I like to water when the meter reads in the dry zone 3-4 the way down the pot. You can not tell how wet the roots are by the top couple inches of soil.

This is why it is best to start in small pots and transplant up as the roots grow.

What is biohumus water?

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

In your pic the lower leaves are drooping down to the soil. That means its thirsty. I think you did the right thing saturating the pot. I bet it takes a week to dry out enough for watering again. A good tool is a probe moisture meter. I like to water when the meter reads in the dry zone 3-4 the way down the pot. You can not tell how wet the roots are by the top couple inches of soil.

This is why it is best to start in small pots and transplant up as the roots grow.

What is biohumus water?
I've heard a lot of people say to start autos in their final home since you can't control when they flower, and any shock will slow their growth. I have never grown an auto. Just figured I would put that out there. Im sure you could do it either way as long as you water them correctly.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I've heard a lot of people say to start autos in their final home since you can't control when they flower, and any shock will slow their growth. I have never grown an auto. Just figured I would put that out there. Im sure you could do it either way as long as you water them correctly.

I read that too and did it that way with autos on my very first grow. But i can transplant with no stress or delay in growth from practice and would start autos in cups and transplant up for better results.

In this case i think that the plants were watered light around the plant without saturating the pot for too long.

And it is slower to start in a big pot and wait for the roots to fill out and the plant to start growing.

Just my opinion. I read the same about 12/12 from seed grows and have much better results transplanting then too.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

I read that too and did it that way with autos on my very first grow. But i can transplant with no stress or delay in growth from practice and would start autos in cups and transplant up for better results.

In this case i think that the plants were watered light around the plant without saturating the pot for too long.

And it is slower to start in a big pot and wait for the roots to fill out and the plant to start growing.

Just my opinion. I read the same about 12/12 from seed grows and have much better results transplanting then too.
I’ve never grown autos but in shopping around I see the breeders don’t call much weight. Like and ounce per plant. I’d just throw an auto in a 1.5-2 gal and giver in that case. That should be all one needs to get an o oui?

Hala

Hala

At this point i suggest watering in the whole pot evenly and carefully to runoff.

Then wait until it is very dry to water again. As the soil dries the roots will branch out searching for moisture and nutrients. Thats how to fill the pot with a dense rootball. Right now they are likely dry and fragile. So go slow. But make sure the whole pot is saturated.

Then seriously wait until it is very dry and light to do it again.
I took your advice and lets see.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Hi. Did all the tests but i am still thinking it was over watered. I lifted the pot and seemed quite light, i pinched a whole and it did seem dry again so i went ahead and soacked the whole thing until good 20% came out of the bottom and am waiting to see the results. How long should it take? I will not water again for the whole week and hopefully it will recover. I have not been using any nutes. Just biohumus water. It is in vermicompost soil. So i am not planning on using any chemicals.
within 6 to 8 hrs if underwatered your plant will show better leaf turgor. And perk right up. As others mentioned once you see it perk up from this thourough watering lift the plant pot up and make note of the feel and weight.
Then moving forward you an lift it to determine if you need to water again.

Keep notes how many days you go between watering and then you will have a day set when you will be due to water again. But keep in mind as the plants get larger and then go into flower the time between watering will shorten due to increased metabolic functions as the plant will become thirstier as the plant mass gets larger, more transpiration and flowers as the water and nute uptake will accelerate. Hope this made sense.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Hi. Thanks for feedback. I have not been using any nutritions at all. Just biohumus water. The medium its in is vermicompost so no need for any chemicals. What do you think? I think it was over watered although the pot seemed very light and the soil dry. So i saturated it with water anyway. How long do tou think it will take to recover? 2 weeks?
I use Promix with a little compost/manure (~20%), and not much else. Depending on their age, I water them once a day when flowering (or more for some Sativa's, which seem to use more water for some reason). When starting off, they are in 6 gallon buckets and aren't transplanted again. I have some experience using the containers you are using, and they dried out 3-4X faster than a bucket, with the same soil mixture as buckets. I found that I had a hard time keeping them watered enough, as a lot of water came out of the bottom and sides of the breath-able container and didn't have a chance to soak into the medium fully.
In any event, if it is only a "needs water" issue, they should perk up in a couple hours. I'm not familiar with your medium, but it looks good and shouldn't be the cause of anything as long as it drains pretty well. Since you aren't using any chemicals, nutrient excess shouldn't be a problem and I'm guessing your Ph is ok as well. I would give it a good soak...those breathing containers are hard to fully hydrate and don't hold much water. I'm looking forward to hearing how you make out!

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Just reading the title without looking or reading.. over watered. Lol. New to growing folks never under water. It’s fun to mix nutes and water plants. I’m guilty too haha
I did it myself too wen I first started.i think most new growers learn that lesson the hard way.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I’ve never grown autos but in shopping around I see the breeders don’t call much weight. Like and ounce per plant. I’d just throw an auto in a 1.5-2 gal and giver in that case. That should be all one needs to get an o oui?

I got 15 oz from 5 greenhouse seeds northern light autos in 5 gallon pots under a 400w hortilux blue mh through veg amd a 600 super hps in flower in a 4x4 tent.

The biggest one took almost 4 months total grow time and gave 4 oz.

The smallest finished 3 weeks earlier and gave 2.5 oz.

I made a lot of mistakes and could do it faster and better now.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

I got 15 oz from 5 greenhouse seeds northern light autos in 5 gallon pots under a 400w hortilux blue mh through veg amd a 600 super hps in flower in a 4x4 tent.

That’s not bad! I’ll have to look for those seeds for the summer outdoor session

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Damn. They don’t ship to Canada

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Damn. They don’t ship to Canada

They dont ship to america either but most of the european seed banks carry them.

They are known as super autos and other companies have them too. But i have no experience. Those were the only autos i have grown and they were very potent but had a flat boring high compared to what i grow today. And they really were not much faster.

For outside i would find a short flowering indica leaning fast plant like regular northern lights. Or better find a breeder who specializes in outdoor plants for your region.

Hala

Hala

Transplanting an auto will definetly cause a dalay. So the best size to start a d stay with would be anywhere 2-3 gallons max. I used 5 gallon pots and first they took too much space, and two, they are too big and I got this overwatering problem.

What is biohumus water?

Let's see. It's been 8-9 hours since then and no signs of improvement yet. I think they look little worse so I am getting nervous. Biohumus water is Liquid vermicompost. You buy thise 1 liter bottles and mix them in 10 liter of water. Basically its a natural fertilizer. See the link here: http://biogumus.ge/price.html

Hala

Hala

How often have u been watering and wen was last?Is your medium wet/dry?need more than a pic for an answer
The medium seemed very dry and I soaked it with water today and no signs of improvements yet. :(

Hala

Hala

there is no way that plant is over watered!
I was trying to be very cautious but i think still overwatered it. Even though the pot seemed light and since the surface of the soil very dry I soaked it with water today about 8-9 hours ago, until 20% came out of the bottom I kept adding water all over the pot slowly and the whole pot turned much much heavier and I let it drain well and put it back to where it belongs. It been hours since then and no signs of improvements yet. :(

Hala

Hala

IMO, I think it's over-watered for a couple reasons.

1. You said you water it daily. There is usually no reason for that unless you're in coco. Try more water, less often.

2. And this is just my opinion, but your leaves are not drooping in the same way as if they were under-watered. My leaves always appear a little more flat and deflated looking when I haven't watered them. Yours still look a little swollen and puffed up like they are holding some water still. The same way mine look when I over-water.
Yes, you are absolutely correct. The leaves are still puffed up but they are curled in. I cant wait to her get better.

Hala

Hala

within 6 to 8 hrs if underwatered your plant will show better leaf turgor. And perk right up. As others mentioned once you see it perk up from this thourough watering lift the plant pot up and make note of the feel and weight.
Then moving forward you an lift it to determine if you need to water again.

Keep notes how many days you go between watering and then you will have a day set when you will be due to water again. But keep in mind as the plants get larger and then go into flower the time between watering will shorten due to increased metabolic functions as the plant will become thirstier as the plant mass gets larger, more transpiration and flowers as the water and nute uptake will accelerate. Hope this made sense.
The 8 hours passed and the plant still looks the same if not worse. :(

Top Bottom